Stipe used his intelligence to overcome the explosive beast Ngannou

wrestlefan

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Great display of technique and cerebral tactics from Stipe to overcome Ngannou's unrefined raw power. Watching this fight made me proud to be an American.

Just superior skill, common sense and composure

He fought a great gameplan.

Totally took Ngannou out of his element and had him in a defensive shell for 98% of the fight.

EpzVy.gif

He did exactly what i expected him to do.

Mix up his boxing, wrestling, and holding him against the fence.

Like Rogan said, he fought very smart to beat a big guy like Francis.

Absolutely amazing display of heart. They guy is all the skills you cant see: heart, will, mentality, etc

Watching this fight made me proud to be an American.

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: what? What did you do stand up with your hand over your heart after the fight haha?

Or did you get all birds of war patriotic afterwards?

giphy.gif

Funny how there so many compliments about Stipe post fight... Pre-fight the forum was awash with posters saying that Ngannou would go through Stipe easily.

It was a composure issue, not a lack of skill

<21>

Funny how there so many compliments about Stipe post fight... Pre-fight the forum was awash with posters saying that Ngannou would go through Stipe easily.

Whenever this happens the posters on the hype train cease to exist.

Great display of technique and cerebral tactics from Stipe to overcome Ngannou's unrefined raw power. Watching this fight made me proud to be an American.
Better cardio, stronger, more agile,better physical awareness, infinitely better movement

I honestly think besides the gameplan that stipe is just a better physical specimen in different regards
<mma4>

Beast? Is that what you call "those people?"

tenor.gif

They're already back on the jones, lee, usman wagon
And making threads about how Michael Johnson would be champ if he had better cardio, wrestling, sub defense and composure
<36>

True but Ngannou also fought impatiently and burned a lot of energy swinging and missing haphazardly when there was no real opening. He may have been able to land a fight changing blow if he hung back and waited for the right shot when he still had a full gas tank.

Derrick Lewis is more of a beast than ngannou!

He's served as 3 years in prison!

He won't be scared to stand and bang
<Moves>

He avoided the heavily muscled head-hunter with questionable grappling, and took him down and kept him down till he gassed.
The game plan is pretty obvious, and didn't require intelligence.
What it required was courage and sticking to the plan.

Stipe is a far better athlete than he gets credit for.

Also, the one thing everyone seems to be sleeping on, and possibly the most important trait in the HW division is durability.
That is one reason why no one has ever defended the belt 3 times before.

Well ok, two things actually.
Durability and not getting popped for PEDs.

Back