Stipe vs Ngannou

Towel88

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
How the hell is stipe gonna deal with Francis on the feet??? What do you guys think, I'm big fan of stipe but its hard to see how you deal with a monster like that

How did Ali deal with a monster like Foreman?
How did Buster deal with a monster like Tyson?
How did Whittaker deal with a monster like Romero?

Scary big muscular guys who know how to box isn't everything. Romero and Tyson was big, fast and explosive but the weaker smaller guy can still find a way.

I don't think Stipe is going to win either but I'm not counting nobody out.

But to answer your question, maybe Stipe has better boxing or kickboxing. Maybe he is able to keep Ngannou on the outside with kicks? Maybe Stipe is going to GSP him with lay n prays? Maybe he pulls off another Stipe v Werdum and KOs Ngannou coming in.

Last edited:
Feints and distance control. Get Ngannou winging at air for a few minutes and he'll look like shit real quick.

Also wrestling. Mix in takedowns with punches, even if he's too strong to actually take down, just make him work. Stipe has great cardio and should be looking to feel Ngannou out and wear him down for the first round or two, then go after him once he's tired.

Stipe is a wrestler first and foremost. If he's smart he'd use that to his advantage.

The other fella has power from what I know, don't know about hjs technical skills. I do know Stipe has technique along with power naturally as a heavyweight.

One thing that does make me wonder, is that Stipe is a very hittable man.

Stipe has more technical hands, and has KOed or TKOed his last 5 or 6 opponents. He's faster, and fights at a higher pace. Nhannou has good fundamentals and instincts, and big power, but Stipe wins by TKO.

Stipe has a jab and a good one at that. Bleydes was able to lance up Ngannou a few times and his jab is nowhere near the level of miocic's . Francis of course has a pretty solid shot at winning and knocking the champion out but Swinging at air getting popped in the eye socket and getting taken down makes a big scary power puncher look vulnerable real quick. Will that happen? i don't know but people are acting like Ngannou is unbeatable which is silly

While I wouldn't be surprised if the heavyweight curse lives on and Ngannou wins - Stipe has all the stylistic advantages.

Don't judge a mans punching power on his ability to KO Arlovski and The Reem.

I'll tell you the first thing he shouldn't do, and that's try to backpedal strait back after falling into the pocket.

When Overeem threw that overhand on Francis, the safest thing he could have done at that point would have in fact been to keep going forward, to tie up with him, stifling the counter (and in mma, moving the fight into a different phase of the game).

Trying to back out at that point when cheek to jowl with your opponent just sets you up with your chin in the air and on the back of your feet crossing through the perfect goldilocks zone of punching for maximum impact.

That same habit (a complete allergy to the clinch and reflexively backpedaling when deep in the pocket) also happened to be the biggest hole in Wonderboy's neutral game as well, which got him into trouble several times vs Tylenol and Masvidal.

Francis definitely looks like a killer after the Overeem fight, but a few things to keep in mind:

1. It's HW. They both have the power to put someone down with one punch. Just because Stipe looks like a generic big, in shape white dude and Ngannou looks like he jumped off the pages of a comic book doesn't mean Francis has a significant power and strength edge. He probably has some as he's a fantastic pure athlete, but it's not like they're operating in different realms in terms of physicality.
  2. Stipe has a deep wrestling background whereas Ngannou has only been doing MMA, his first combat sport, for 5 years. He's actually developed quite a depth of skill for having trained only that short of a time, but Stipe is still likely to have greater depth of skill and should be able to put Francis in situations where he doesn't react quickly enough and ends up in a bad spot.
  3. Stipe has a hell of a chin. JDS is no slouch when it comes to power, and he threw everything he had at Miocic and couldn't finish him. Francis might hit a little harder than JDS, but I wouldn't assume that the first shot he hits Miocic with will put him down. Conversely, we really don't know that much about Ngannou's chin, and I expect Stipe to land some shots. With explosive, massive punchers if you can prove you can handle their punch it can break something in them mentally like Douglas did with Tyson. I could see Stipe taking a few good shots early and then Francis exhausting himself and mentally giving up the fight when he realizes he's probably not going to finish Miocic easily.
Francis is improving so rapidly and hits so hard that this could easily go either way, but for the moment I'm still banking on the champ. But it's HW MMA, any result is possible on any given day. One big punch from either guy ends this in an instant.

I'll tell you the first thing he shouldn't do, and that's try to backpedal strait back after falling into the pocket.

When Overeem threw that overhand on Francis, the safest thing he could have done at that point would have in fact been to keep going forward, to tie up with him, stifling the counter (and in mma, moving the fight into a different phase of the game).

Trying to back out at that point when cheek to jowl with your opponent just sets you up with your chin in the air and on the back of your feet crossing through the perfect goldilocks zone of punching for maximum impact.

That same habit (a complete allergy to the clinch and reflexively backpedaling when deep in the pocket) also happened to be the biggest hole in Wonderboy's neutral game as well, which got him into trouble several times vs Tylenol and Masvidal.

Indeed, this is something Fedor was particularly good at. Hitting and then transitioning.

Also no one has a clue what the hell Overeem was doing. Whatever that bend in half backwards at the waist move he did repeatedly to try to avoid the punches was... uh, wrong.

I favor Stipe heavily in this fight, but that doesn't mean much when any HW can KO anyone with a single strike.

Francis definitely looks like a killer after the Overeem fight, but a few things to keep in mind:

1. It's HW. They both have the power to put someone down with one punch. Just because Stipe looks like a generic big, in shape white dude and Ngannou looks like he jumped off the pages of a comic book doesn't mean Francis has a significant power and strength edge. He probably has some as he's a fantastic pure athlete, but it's not like they're operating in different realms in terms of physicality.
  2. Stipe has a deep wrestling background whereas Ngannou has only been doing MMA, his first combat sport, for 5 years. He's actually developed quite a depth of skill for having trained only that short of a time, but Stipe is still likely to have greater depth of skill and should be able to put Francis in situations where he doesn't react quickly enough and ends up in a bad spot.
  3. Stipe has a hell of a chin. JDS is no slouch when it comes to power, and he threw everything he had at Miocic and couldn't finish him. Francis might hit a little harder than JDS, but I wouldn't assume that the first shot he hits Miocic with will put him down. Conversely, we really don't know that much about Ngannou's chin, and I expect Stipe to land some shots. With explosive, massive punchers if you can prove you can handle their punch it can break something in them mentally like Douglas did with Tyson. I could see Stipe taking a few good shots early and then Francis exhausting himself and mentally giving up the fight when he realizes he's probably not going to finish Miocic easily.
Francis is improving so rapidly and hits so hard that this could easily go either way, but for the moment I'm still banking on the champ. But it's HW MMA, any result is possible on any given day. One big punch from either guy ends this in an instant.

Jesus bro

It is heavy weight. And it is MMA so anything can happen. Basically in boxing you can predict stuff due to technique and defence even in heavy weight. But a potential match up between Joshua and Wilder is highly unpredictable just as Stipe vs Nganau. It is just too much power going on with these fighters and any solid punch, kick or wrestling technique can change the match drastically, not only with a knock out but huge damage to a body or face part.

Stipe should remain calm and not panic. Ali was able to completely neutralize Foreman's power by clinching and making Foreman work, taking him to deep waters. It also helped that Ali was one of the toughest fighters to have graced the squared circle.

But honestly, I'm not familiar with Francis and I don't know how good his cardio is or how good the other aspects of his game. Hopefully Stipe can expose some of Francis' weakness or at least take him to deep waters.

Back