Stories of Rickson

Sounds familiar

Saku isn't a powerful wrestler with top control

Saku has a great single then catch

Rickson fought funaki yes both were past it but funaki was better than saku

Funaki may have been slightly better but Saku put it all together better for MMA, and fought way superior fighters in non-questionable fights.

Saku>>Funaki in MMA skill set.

Renzo I agree most well rounded and when he fought Sauk even weight or close

It would have been interesting but rickson is another level than renzo on mat

DOesn't matter if Rickson was another level to Renzo on the mat, Saku would have denied him access there and hurt him standing/ By the time it hit the ground, Rickson would be too hurt to do much to him.

Look at it this was-rickson would no way in hell have been able to take down Saku, hold him down to control and submit him. In his prime, nobody was able to take down Sakuraba, hold him down, and control him. Bigger strong wrestlers were able to take him down but not control him nor had an easy time keeping him down. Rickson being a lighter and weaker wrestler compared to his other opponent s sure as hell wouldn't have been able to do it

During that time, beating Funaki in MMA meant nothing and beating Saku meant everything. RIckson never fought Saku but Wandy was the one to derail Sak

I would have loved to see Wand at that time fight Rickson

Many high level black belts have their stories of him

He was overhyped a bit but he is was best bjj guy ever

He would have ran through saku

Rickson vs saku would be like saku vs royler. Rickson cant takd saku down and saku would beat up rickson with low kicks and punches. The only reason funaki lost is because he fought foolishly.

Mark Schultz was dominating Rickson hard in his first ever BJJ roll but couldn't finish him off because he didn't know any subs yet.
Mark Schultz (one of the best US wrestlers in history) was way ahead of his time in grappling. He and his brother Dave were messing around with jujitsu and experimenting with other forms of grappling a decade before UFC 1 even. Back in the 80s, FILA, the governing body for international level wrestling also housed sambo (then referred to as sombo in the USA) tournaments in conjunction with wrestling. As a result you would have really high level wrestlers competing in wrestling and then sticking around for the sombo tourney bc they were already there. The Schultz bros were monster grapplers. You also had guys like Les Gutches and Greg Gibson adding significant sombo chops to their world class wrestling. Gibson was even a world champion in sombo back in the early 80s when the soviets were mopping the floor with everybody. To tie it in full circle, Rickson himself competed in these FILA/USA Wrestling sombo tourneys as well.

I'm looking for DVDs featuring Rickson fights. I only have the 'Choke' documentary that manga released.

Anyone know what's available officially?

Nothing apart from Choke.

Rickson getting handled as a teenager.

Last edited:
DOesn't matter if Rickson was another level to Renzo on the mat, Saku would have denied him access there and hurt him standing/ By the time it hit the ground, Rickson would be too hurt to do much to him.

Look at it this was-rickson would no way in hell have been able to take down Saku, hold him down to control and submit him. In his prime, nobody was able to take down Sakuraba, hold him down, and control him. Bigger strong wrestlers were able to take him down but not control him nor had an easy time keeping him down. Rickson being a lighter and weaker wrestler compared to his other opponent s sure as hell wouldn't have been able to do it

During that time, beating Funaki in MMA meant nothing and beating Saku meant everything. RIckson never fought Saku but Wandy was the one to derail Sak

I would have loved to see Wand at that time fight Rickson

Exactly. I absolutely have nothing but mad respect for Hiiiiiicksooon, but prime Saku was a work of art.

Rickson vs saku would be like saku vs royler. Rickson cant takd saku down and saku would beat up rickson with low kicks and punches. The only reason funaki lost is because he fought foolishly.
Fight would have been interesting as starting on feet saku can stop td and could take down

Rickson would find a way though imo

Fight would have been interesting as starting on feet saku can stop td and could take down

Rickson would find a way though imo

In ricksons fight history when has he ever shown superior takedowns? He would not have 'found a way', he would have gotten beat up on the feet.

In ricksons fight history when has he ever shown superior takedowns? He would not have 'found a way', he would have gotten beat up on the feet.

delusional RIckson worshippers, blinded by the myth of the man rather than solid proof

Hickson's so mythical and legendary that there's no way he could live up to that hype. people *have* to buy the 400-0 shit. people *have* to bring up the GOAT nonsense.

which is good, and tells you just how good Rickson is. when people start expecting someone to be a superhero, that's when you know they're the real deal.

Rickson's been so good for so long people resort to picking through 25-year-old videos in an attempt to delegitimize him. it's like finding video of Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers throwing picks in high school.

i mean, if Rickson isn't the myth he's been hyped to be - if he's been tapped before (and we know he has) - does that undermine what he can do? does that mean his guys haven't learned his posture and pressure?

do people really, earnestly care about how many street fights someone has 'won'?

Hickson's so mythical and legendary that there's no way he could live up to that hype. people *have* to buy the 400-0 shit. people *have* to bring up the GOAT nonsense.

which is good, and tells you just how good Rickson is. when people start expecting someone to be a superhero, that's when you know they're the real deal.

Rickson's been so good for so long people resort to picking through 25-year-old videos in an attempt to delegitimize him. it's like finding video of Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers throwing picks in high school.

i mean, if Rickson isn't the myth he's been hyped to be - if he's been tapped before (and we know he has) - does that undermine what he can do? does that mean his guys haven't learned his posture and pressure?

do people really, earnestly care about how many street fights someone has 'won'?

I only want to know whether prime Rickson would have beat prime Rolls. I'll ask to see it in heaven.

Wait, I thought this was only about whether Rickson could have beaten a prime Sakuraba in Pride when Saku was calling him out. I dont doubt that Rickson is one best JJ guys of all time, I'm just calling BS on him beating Sakuraba.

Don't need history .

Rickson from fights knew how to take people down

Saku would be no different

You're a masochist is what you are. You seem to get off on presenting yourself, or things related to catch, or people who appreciate catch in general, in the most embarrassing manner possible.

I honestly can't think of a single good thread you've ever made

Every other sentence that spills from your keyboard is cringe inducing, that tars the objects of your 'appreciation' by association. A subtle sense of wrongness pervades the corpus.

It is my fondest hope that people ignore everything you say, and not take it as a representative example of, anything, really. For as much your own good as anyone elses.

You seem very sad

From history rolls >> rickson

But rickson was coming up

Rickson was only 23 when Rolls died. History doesn't really tell us anything about prime Rolls vs prime Rickson. The only footage of them we see is when Rickson was still a teen.

Rickson was only 23 when Rolls died. History doesn't really tell us anything about prime Rolls vs prime Rickson. The only footage of them we see is when Rickson was still a teen.
Yeah what I said when rickson was coming up

Rickson is best now ever

It's crazy how good rolls could was

Only person knows is rickson he rolled with him he deep down knows who's better

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
herrsackbauer
Back