Stories of Rickson

Yeah what I said when rickson was coming up

Rickson is best now ever

It's crazy how good rolls could was

Only person knows is rickson he rolled with him he deep down knows who's better

Yeah you are right. On JRE podcast, Rickson says that just before Rolls died he got better than Rolls. But I guess its easy to make an unverifiable statement like that.

Yeah you are right. On JRE podcast, Rickson says that just before Rolls died he got better than Rolls. But I guess its easy to make an unverifiable statement like that.
I'd like to see roger vs rickson

None. He struggled to take down an old, injured, and fight accumulated-battered Funaki

In ricksons fight history when has he ever shown superior takedowns? He would not have 'found a way', he would have gotten beat up on the feet.

Rickson’s takedowns against average fighters were very rudimentary. He’d rush in zombie-style after a few token strikes and try for a sweep.

Rickson, like many Brazilians from his generation would clinch and never let go, they would stay clinched without abandoning the takedown. It worked because he was fighting lesser competition but it also burned a crapload of energy.

Last edited:
Gibson was even a world champion in sombo back in the early 80s when the soviets were mopping the floor with everybody.
What? Can you name the event and the year? Or was it typical american "World championship" like MLB, NBA and NFL, where no other countries are even presented?

What? Can you name the event and the year? Or was it typical american "World championship" like MLB, NBA and NFL, where no other countries are even presented?
No it was a true world championship. 1981 I believe. FILA only housed sombo until the mid 80s I believe. Do some research on Google about Greg Gibson sombo/sambo world champ. Dude was an absolute beast.

Rickson’s takedowns against average fighters were very rudimentary. He’d rush in zombie-style after a few token strikes and try for a sweep.

Rickson, like many Brazilians from his generation would clinch and never let go, they would stay clinched without abandoning the takedown. It worked because he was fighting lesser competition but it also burned a crapload of energy.
I agree in a lot of the MMA fights there is footage for, Rickson didn't show the best wrestling technique even though he got everyone he fought to the mat. So I judge his TD ability based on effectiveness rather than aesthetic value. However I am surprised that Rickson didn't have better looking wrestling. He was a guy who crosstrained a whole lot. He was heavily involved in sambo/sombo and even dabbled in freestyle and Greco.

I agree in a lot of the MMA fights there is footage for, Rickson didn't show the best wrestling technique even though he got everyone he fought to the mat. So I judge his TD ability based on effectiveness rather than aesthetic value. However I am surprised that Rickson didn't have better looking wrestling. He was a guy who crosstrained a whole lot. He was heavily involved in sambo/sombo and even dabbled in freestyle and Greco.

He took down every opponent easy or hard he found a way

His wrestling?

It was awkward and looked a struggle but he found a way

Funaki fight I would have favoured masa

Funaki was winning

You can't really take a guy out of his era. I believe it's equally true that for a period of time in the late 80s and early 90s that Rickson Gracie was the best fighter in the world and would have beaten anyone in an MMA match. I also think it's true that with the skill set he had then he would, at best, have a cup of coffee in today's UFC before going back to the regional scene. Too much a one trick pony for modern fighters, but then again everyone who was fighting in the birth years of MMA was incredibly raw by today's standards. It's much harder to get good if you have to make it all up as you go along.

rickson did the suplex to armbar decades ago!

You can't really take a guy out of his era. I believe it's equally true that for a period of time in the late 80s and early 90s that Rickson Gracie was the best fighter in the world and would have beaten anyone in an MMA match. I also think it's true that with the skill set he had then he would, at best, have a cup of coffee in today's UFC before going back to the regional scene. Too much a one trick pony for modern fighters, but then again everyone who was fighting in the birth years of MMA was incredibly raw by today's standards. It's much harder to get good if you have to make it all up as you go along.

I agree with most of your points, but there were much better and higher quality fighters than the ones he fought when he was active.
Do you think RIckson would have beaten Sakuraba, or even Vanderlei Silva after Silva demolished Saku in 2 minutes. Something even the best in his family was unable to come close to. Definitely not. In that era, he would have gotten starched by Mark Coleman, Mark Kerr, Don Frye, Sakuraba, Marco Ruas, Maurice Smith, the list goes on.

rickson did the suplex to armbar decades ago!

In a demonstration against his non-resisting brother. And it still was no where near as nice as DJ's

Back