StRatoCastRs guide to lace up the elastic way!

StRatoCastR

Gear Tester/Reviewer
@Brown
Reaction score
I have been noticing a lot of people don't know how to lace up their gloves using elastics. But that's okay! Hopefully, I can shed some light behind the mystery of the elastic lace-up method.

This is MY personal method, so Im sure there are other ways to do it.
I wish I had a video camera but sadly I do not, so we are going to do it the old fashioned way with some explanations, and some pictures in this step by step guide... So easy, even Mixedmajik can do it!:redface:

By the way no names will be mentioned but I will outline EVERYTHING because at one time the question was asked by someone.

Step one:
YOU NEED ELASTIC LACES and of course a set of boxing gloves

Step two:
WRAP your hands how you normally wrap before even starting this. This is important because the size of your hand will change if you are simply ONLY lacing up a glove minus the wraps.

Step three:
7ht4.jpg

Here we have a glove and a set of elastic laces

Step four:

Make a bar like shown with the bar facing TOWARDS you as shown in the pic. Make sure the laces are EQUAL on both sides after you create the bar

19pk.jpg

Step five:

Once you make the bar, go UNDERNEATH the lace-run as shown:

7mhc.jpg

Step six:

This creates an X underneath the lace run:

vaf8.jpg

Step seven:
Create an X ABOVE the lace run this time:

j8mp.jpg

If you are looking for extra support stick with laceup and leave the traditional laces in. Have someone tie them for you.

A lot of people had bought laceups and they would be shelved because they were never used and just collected dust. This guide could bring those gloves back or they could buy RSKs hook and loops.

Would you say hook and loop attachments provide just as much support as traditional lacing?

I'd like to buy a pair of winning gloves, but I don't want the life to be reduced if I were to go with the hook and loop attachment.

Sorry to awaken a dead thread but the pictures no longer seem to show in this thread, anyway to fix that Mods?

Step 8:

Put your WRAPPED hand inside the glove, do NOT continue UNTIL you wrapped your damn hand. But strato you don't have your hand wrapped. Jesus Christ! this is a tutorial and im just trying to show you how!

e8qn.jpg

TIGHTEN the laces by pulling on them. Make it TIGHT.

make a temporary knot, don't crank down on in it yet.

Slip your hand in and out and make sure it is SNUG. if its loose redo this step, if its too tight, redo this step! It should lean towards the tight side more so than the loose side.

Step nine:

Once finalized from step 8 make a knot

owpb.jpg

Step ten:

As you see in the image now the knot sits below the lace run so that it will not damage your sparring partner if you decide to spar.

09ty.jpg

Step eleven

Start your NEW X under the lace run so it remains constant:

s1q.JPG

Step twelve:

After you run below, make an X above the lace run, then make an X below, then an X above again. YOUVE DONE THIS BEFORE! I know you can do it!

2v08.jpg

After doing the Xs put your hand in the glove make sure it fits before you get too far along in the next steps. REMEMBER your hand is STILL wrapped!

Last edited:
No, they will not. You have to remember you can get laces as tight as they are allowed to be which requires a whole nother person to do so. So i dont think anything will really ever rival someone lacing up gloves for you. But again, alot of us dont have that whole other person to spare at all times when you want to train, so hook and loops make things easier, faster, and much more doable.

Even if you had another person, and you wanted to do circuit training, you have to pull another person aside and have them lace up and tape up gloves for you IF you want to do any kind of sparring in a circuit.

I dont understand the 2nd part of your statement saying the life will be reduced if you buy hook and loops. Gloves will eventually break down regardless of what company you use or go with. Some will last longer than others but nothing will prolong the life of a glove better than the owner taking care of it. Wiping it down after training is done, and using leather conditioner (too keep the leather soft and clean as sweat has salts and dries out/cracks leather) and airing out gloves on a regular basis.

Think of gloves like a shoe, the more miles you put on them daily, weekly or monthly will all determine how long they will last. someone who trains once a month is going to get alot more life out of their gloves than someone who trains 5x a week.

I second that. Can you upload them again Strat?

This is one of the best threads on the whole forum

Step thirteen:

Finish off the lace up job

0r0g.jpg

As you see I finished with the laces UNDERNEATH there is a reason for this in the next steps

Step fourteen:

Cinch up the laces snug, not TIGHT this time

f56u.jpg

Make a loose knot, now take your wrapped hand out of the glove. there should be SOME resistance, now put your hand back in, there should be SOME effort, but it shouldn't be impossible. Keep your hand straight and wiggle it in, if it goes in you are ready to make a knot!

If its too loose or too tight, restart steps 12 through 14

Step fifteen:

If 14 worked out make the final knot tight. Check by sliding in and out with your WRAPPED hand

rfm7.jpg

hmlo.jpg

Step 16:

Now run your stray ends beneath the Xs on the palm facing you! Or if you are REALLY confident you can cut them, make sure you burn the ends LIGHTLY so they don't fray.

n0l4.jpg

Step 17:

Final product

hmlo.jpg

Last edited:
No, they will not. You have to remember you can get laces as tight as they are allowed to be which requires a whole nother person to do so. So i dont think anything will really ever rival someone lacing up gloves for you. But again, alot of us dont have that whole other person to spare at all times when you want to train, so hook and loops make things easier, faster, and much more doable.

Even if you had another person, and you wanted to do circuit training, you have to pull another person aside and have them lace up and tape up gloves for you IF you want to do any kind of sparring in a circuit.

I dont understand the 2nd part of your statement saying the life will be reduced if you buy hook and loops. Gloves will eventually break down regardless of what company you use or go with. Some will last longer than others but nothing will prolong the life of a glove better than the owner taking care of it. Wiping it down after training is done, and using leather conditioner (too keep the leather soft and clean as sweat has salts and dries out/cracks leather) and airing out gloves on a regular basis.

Think of gloves like a shoe, the more miles you put on them daily, weekly or monthly will all determine how long they will last. someone who trains once a month is going to get alot more life out of their gloves than someone who trains 5x a week.

i'll follow your advice to the key when i care for my gloves.

i read somewhere that gloves with velcro or hook and loop attachments tend to rip around their wrist area compared to lace ups

I would also appreciate this, as I would like to give the elastic lace treatment to my Twins.

Oops reserved 3 too many!

Well there you go, the lace job should be complete!

Now when slipping on your gloves they take me roughly 20 seconds to get both on, they shouldn't be too easy where they just slip right on, they should take some effort to get on and wiggle in.

You will know, your wrist shouldn't be flopping around all over the place unsupported which is why we tie the 1st know in the beginning steps so that the main part of the wrist isn't left all unsupported.

Also, that way you don't lose tension when trying to do the below steps it provides a milestone so if you do lose some tension you don't NEED to start from step 1 all over again.

Hopefully this all makes sense!

Like I said I felt this was needed to be addressed from PMs and some posts on here asking and wondering how people use elastics. I know many of us prefer elastics over Velcro in most cases.

Also keep in mind, this will NOT be as supportive as TRADITIONAL laces but that is a 2 man effort. The elastics atleast for my purposes are the middle ground, they are more supportive than Velcro with the lace feel but doesn't require 2 people like traditionals do.

Last edited:
Hmm no never had that happen however the velcro quits working after a number of years. Cheap velcro will wear out faster of course. And sometimes if stitching is crap the velcro will come undone.

But laces wear out as well. However they are easily replaced.

Yeah ill try to fix this im working overtime so maybe after thanksgiving

well now I have to use this space: In the picture the gloves that are featured are Boxeo from Juan aka Technoir

Last edited:
Don't want to be a pain but any luck with this StRatoCastR?

And... I like to box

Last edited:
I don't know if you're updating the pictures but I can now see two of the pictures and the second is extremely useful. I think with you descriptions and that 2nd picture I might be able to replicate what you've done.

Though one thing I've noticed is that you don't loop the elastic laces around the wrist like you would with normal laces or am I maybe missing something?

Great guide, man. I definitely appreciate it.

Last edited:
This guide just persuaded me to swing for a pair of lace ups for my next set of gloves. All I have now are hook n' loop, simply because I don't feel like asking people to tie my gloves for me when I wanna use em.

Thanks dude!

eBay or amazon you can get all kinds of colors.

Excellent guide. I'll use this to eliminate the Lock Laces plastic thingy. Thanks!!!!

Jolly good job my friend. What length do you get your laces?

Holy...yeah...I think I have 50's on right now....stretchable probably to infinity lol. Stupid me. I just got the arts and craft store to cut me 3 yards of their white elastic string for 25 cents per yard and cut that in half.... -.-

It's fine you can cut off the excess and burn the ends.

Glad it worked out I'm sure different ways will work out for different people

Back