Street Fighter 30th Anniversary Collection

Strange that they used SNK art for the box.

Honestly who needs 6 versions of SF2? ::dodges tomatoes::

If the game has a decent sf1 retooling, SF2 ce, and sf3 3s I'll be happy . everything else is gravy.

I was dominant in the Arcade days with the Alpha series. Was one of the best Charlie players for a while. That's no bullshit either. Used to play against Capcom employees and, Game Pro mag/EGM mag employees and so on when they'd beta test them before realeasing them to other arcades. I learned a lot from those dudes and have a shit ton of cool memories from those days.

Was there when they wheeled in the 1st Killer Instinct arcade realease, the 1st SFII and a few others. There was only one other Arcade in the US (in Cali somewhere if I'm not mistaken) that did similar shit.

I was more into other fighters (KOF/Tekken/etc) than I was with Alpha though I still knew about that silly V-ism crap.

That's pretty cool. I've went up against old tournament winners in the past, but didn't fare very well. Beating RIP in Tekken was pretty cool, heh.

Was gonna buy this, till I remembered I have a SNES emu
with Super Street Fighter II.

I was more into other fighters (KOF/Tekken/etc) than I was with Alpha though I still knew about that silly V-ism crap.

That's pretty cool. I've went up against old tournament winners in the past, but didn't fare very well. Beating RIP in Tekken was pretty cool, heh.

I got good at games like Tekken and VF4 on the consoles -couldn't get it down using a joystick.

But I grew up playing SFII at the Arcade and. I'm rusty as hell now but I can still jump on any SF related game and pull off moves and so on like riding a bike. That's another kinda cool thing about that game, it stayed with me all these years.

Yeah, Chicago is/was a huge printing hub and EGM and GamePro had corporate spots out here back then so their game testers would always be up at the arcade trying out beta's and shit. Capcom always had people out this way too. At one point I can confidently say that because of geography and the way things were distributed we were amongst the best players in the world at that game for a period. Kind of cool in a way.

As for tourneys, I never entered but cut my teeth with all the dudes that did -a few of them I grew up with and knew pretty well. By time the Alpha series dropped I could trade with any of them. In fact, some of the best players never entered the tournaments. We used to say that the real tournaments were held every Saturday night anyway. You could not jump on those games during that time unless you knew what the fuck you were doing. Not for the faint of heart either, not only were you standing next to your opponent, but you had an audience watching too (they usually had SF up on these big screens running into the machine itself).

I miss those days. A lot of fun.

I got good at games like Tekken and VF4 on the consoles -couldn't get it down using a joystick.

But I grew up playing SFII at the Arcade and. I'm rusty as hell now but I can still jump on any SF related game and pull off moves and so on like riding a bike. That's another kinda cool thing about that game, it stayed with me all these years.

Yeah, Chicago is/was a huge printing hub and EGM and GamePro had corporate spots out here back then so their game testers would always be up at the arcade trying out beta's and shit. Capcom always had people out this way too. At one point I can confidently say that because of geography and the way things were distributed we were amongst the best players in the world at that game for a period. Kind of cool in a way.

As for tourneys, I never entered but cut my teeth with all the dudes that did -a few of them I grew up with and knew pretty well. By time the Alpha series dropped I could trade with any of them. In fact, some of the best players never entered the tournaments. We used to say that the real tournaments were held every Saturday night anyway. You could not jump on those games during that time unless you knew what the fuck you were doing. Not for the faint of heart either, not only were you standing next to your opponent, but you had an audience watching too (they usually had SF up on these big screens running into the machine itself).

I miss those days. A lot of fun.

I had problems with certain things in 3D fighters with a pad, but I nevered bothered with shortcuts either. Some people can play fighters with keyboards.

I was never big into tournaments either, but I've also played against some of the better players as well. BAS from Japan is the best CVS2 player of all time and I played against him a long time ago. There was also the best Eddy player in Tekken 4 (at the time) who came out to a tournament a few years later.

There's still a hardcore fanbase on Fightcade and there's always players on ST, Alpha 2 and 3, and Third Strike though KOF 98 and 2002 are the most popular games.

its a shame they couldn't throw in Capcom vs SNK 2. I'd pre-order that shit in a heartbeat...

Last edited:
its a shame they couldn't throw in Capcom vs SNK 2. I'd buy that pre-order that shit in a heartbeat...

That game was badass. It took me a minute to appreciate that one, but once I spent enough time with it I was sold.

I had problems with certain things in 3D fighters with a pad, but I nevered bothered with shortcuts either. Some people can play fighters with keyboards.

I was never big into tournaments either, but I've also played against some of the better players as well. BAS from Japan is the best CVS2 player of all time and I played against him a long time ago. There was also the best Eddy player in Tekken 4 (at the time) who came out to a tournament a few years later.

There's still a hardcore fanbase on Fightcade and there's always players on ST, Alpha 2 and 3, and Third Strike though KOF 98 and 2002 are the most popular games.

Yeah I was different, loved using the D-pad in those games because of the precision. So much was based on 'tapping' forward , back and so on that it just made more sense to me personally. The joystick was irritating because tapping forward you might accidentally tap up and forward or down and forward just enough to fuck up entering whatever command you were trying to deliver.

I have a similar beef with some of the modern sports games too like NCAA 14 where you have to control everything with the joystick instead of the D-pad. Don't know if Madden has gone this route too as I haven't played it in some years, but was pissed that the last college release reduced your options to that. At least allow for choice imo. I spent so many years mastering being able to play the game one way and then BOOM -they upend you by doing shit like that.

It's not terrible. It's the orginal SF II with 4 more fighters.
What is so bad about that ?
Terrible may have been an overstatement its actually a decent port, but it's not an exact port of the arcade, which looks much better visually.

Was there when they wheeled in the 1st Killer Instinct arcade realease, the 1st SFII and a few others. There was only one other Arcade in the US (in Cali somewhere if I'm not mistaken) that did similar shit.
I think you are thinking of Milpitas Golfland. Capcom's US office was a few miles away and a lot of their Capcom games were the Japanese versions.

Didn't know this was coming out, but a definite purchase. Kind of disappointing though all of the games do not have online modes from what it sounds like.

Terrible may have been an overstatement its actually a decent port, but it's not an exact port of the arcade, which looks much better visually.
Considering the SNES hardware the SSFII and Alpha 2 ports were pretty decent. Makes me wonder what a SFII port would've looked like if Capcom took another crack at it after doing those ports.

Yeah I was different, loved using the D-pad in those games because of the precision. So much was based on 'tapping' forward , back and so on that it just made more sense to me personally. The joystick was irritating because tapping forward you might accidentally tap up and forward or down and forward just enough to fuck up entering whatever command you were trying to deliver.

I have a similar beef with some of the modern sports games too like NCAA 14 where you have to control everything with the joystick instead of the D-pad. Don't know if Madden has gone this route too as I haven't played it in some years, but was pissed that the last college release reduced your options to that. At least allow for choice imo. I spent so many years mastering being able to play the game one way and then BOOM -they upend you by doing shit like that.

I didn't have a problem with the movement on the Stick or D-pad, but the smaller buttons on a pad made me screw up certain things like King's/Bruce's/Aoi's/etc multigrabs and moves like Akira's knee where you can only hold the button for 1 frame of a second. It was easier with bigger buttons or shortcuts when it came to multigrabs.

At least you could adjust the speed on the console versions since the arcade version was so fucking slow. There's still no reason to play that over ST though.

Back