STREET FIGHTER V-v5: Arcade Edition - Battle Lounge 4/6 – Streamed on Twitch! 4:30PM PST!

It's being pointed out that because of how good Abigail is, everyone is studying the match up and as a result the character won't win as much as people feared. Even considering that, he's still got to be the best bet for the big body players because it's not like Gief or Alex are full of surprises.

Capcom will come in with the OS and buff him for 3.5 anyways.

You know, I have to say.

Ranked LP should be character specific. What would be the problem with that? If you want to prevent throwing off the rankings, only include the top ranked character in the leaderboard.

But it sucks when you start ranking up with a character you're completely pigeonhold at that point. If I play ranked with anyone else, I get bottled, If I play Casual with that new rank level, I get bottled. If I go into a battle lounge and try to match up with bronze level players... they see Silver and kick me out of the lounge lol.

It would also add, once again, a bit more depth to a game that has all the mechanics for excellent replay-ability and yet seems to actively discourage it.

Preorder the 30th Anniversary and you get USF4. I'd prefer a discount instead.

Infiltration knows what's up! Floe says the same thing.

If the amazing Core-A-Gaming video didn’t do anything in the way of influencing Capcom, I doubt anything will at this point. It’s a shame. We didn’t even get patch notes lol.

You know, I have to say.

Ranked LP should be character specific. What would be the problem with that? If you want to prevent throwing off the rankings, only include the top ranked character in the leaderboard.

But it sucks when you start ranking up with a character you're completely pigeonhold at that point. If I play ranked with anyone else, I get bottled, If I play Casual with that new rank level, I get bottled. If I go into a battle lounge and try to match up with bronze level players... they see Silver and kick me out of the lounge lol.

It would also add, once again, a bit more depth to a game that has all the mechanics for excellent replay-ability and yet seems to actively discourage it.

It’s been talked about. I wish they allowed this myself but Capcom is too lazy to implement.

If the amazing Core-A-Gaming video didn’t do anything in the way of influencing Capcom, I doubt anything will at this point. It’s a shame. We didn’t even get patch notes lol.

Balancing isn't easy, but Capcom has a history of going too far with the nerfs (Sean).

Balancing isn't easy, but Capcom has a history of going too far with the nerfs (Sean).

It’s not, but if everyone is OP then no one is OP! I don’t think Capcom wants to mess with their balance at all like that right now considering most people think it’s the most balanced current fighting game on the market.

Would be nice to have an Omega mode where everyone is buffed to the gills.

It’s not, but if everyone is OP then no one is OP! I don’t think Capcom wants to mess with their balance at all like that right now considering most people think it’s the most balanced current fighting game on the market.

Would be nice to have an Omega mode where everyone is buffed to the gills.

SFV the most balanced? I've heard it was Tekken 7 and from what I've seen, I might go with that. The only ones I haven't seen in tournament play are Kuma/Panda of course and Gigas out of about 40 characters. SFV is still pretty good with balance overall.

They should try something different when it comes to balancing. They love to nerf characters that are already not that great to begin with (Alex) and top tier Guile actually has two GOOD V-triggers now.

Last edited:
SFV the most balanced? I've heard it was Tekken 7 and from what I've seen, I might go with that. The only ones I haven't seen in tournament play are Kuma/Panda of course and Gigas out of about 40 characters. SFV is still pretty good with balance overall.

They should try something different when it comes to balancing. They love to nerf characters that are already not that great to begin with (Alex) and top tier Guile actually has two GOOD V-triggers now.

I’ve just seen Tekken tier lists on twitter with more tier sub-categories (S though F) than I have seen with SFV. In fact I don’t recall seeing a street fighter character in D or F at all. There are definitely some strong Tekken characters though. I tend to see Devil Jin, Sergei, Jack-7 and sometimes Claudio in Top 8’s quite often. I don’t follow the game nearly as much as SFV so I don’t know the community’s thoughts on the current balance. But the overall sentiment in the SF scene, even with those that dislike the game, is that the game is pretty well balanced.

I agree though, they need something different. Guile, Rashid and Akuma got nasty VT2’s while Alex, Ken, Ryu and Zeku got shitty gimmicks. Those 3 got VT’s that drastically improve their overall meta, the others got trash. Granted, Infiltration made Juri’s VT2 pop during Evo Japan and that was fantastic. But who’s going to catch a Guile or Rashid whiffing their VT leading to a CC?

You know, I have to say.

Wasn’t SFIV ranked match making similar to how you’re describing? I can’t remember exactly how it worked when you wanted to try out different characters. I know there was some representation of ranking with each character along with your overall ranking but I can’t recall what that meant for matchmaking.

The few times I’ve tried a new character in ranked (Ryu,Guile, and Rashid), it’s really interesting to see where I bottom out.

For instance, with Guile I dipped down to ~2500LP and hovered around there. With Rashid....saw Bronze for the first time in about a year and a half. My natural play style seemed better suited for Guile, and I really struggled adapting to Rashid.

It’s also gratifying to realize that I have a better overall grasp of the game. I recall working my ASS off getting to Silver, took probably 8 months or longer. At that point, the thought of reaching Gold was discouraging; every Gold player I encountered seemed like they were playing a totally different game.

Point is, it’s a good feeling to pick a new character and be competitive at a level that took months and months of practice before.

I’ve just seen Tekken tier lists on twitter with more tier sub-categories (S though F) than I have seen with SFV. In fact I don’t recall seeing a street fighter character in D or F at all. There are definitely some strong Tekken characters though. I tend to see Devil Jin, Sergei, Jack-7 and sometimes Claudio in Top 8’s quite often. I don’t follow the game nearly as much as SFV so I don’t know the community’s thoughts on the current balance. But the overall sentiment in the SF scene, even with those that dislike the game, is that the game is pretty well balanced.

I agree though, they need something different. Guile, Rashid and Akuma got nasty VT2’s while Alex, Ken, Ryu and Zeku got shitty gimmicks. Those 3 got VT’s that drastically improve their overall meta, the others got trash. Granted, Infiltration made Juri’s VT2 pop during Evo Japan and that was fantastic. But who’s going to catch a Guile or Rashid whiffing their VT leading to a CC?

Very true. Alex's VT2 is like a slap in the face. They gave him two attacks that he should have had to begin with and you can only use it twice. Ken's Shinryuken is nothing special either. Ryu's VT2 is fun, I'll give it that much!

It's funny that the two characters who have been in SF since the very beginning are now low tier.

Weird, I haven't seen any D or F in the rankings at all.

This was Knee's tier list from a few months ago:

tekken7sep2017tierlisttournament.jpg

This is Speedkicks new tier list:

DX3Yhm3UMAAcmER.jpg

Although, Chloe is low tier, I see that someone was using her in the top 16 the past weekend? Someone else in the top 16 used Gigas, but he had other characters as well. For a game with 40 characters, that's pretty damn good (except for the bears, they're like Alex and Ryu but without the fun factor).

Wasn’t SFIV ranked match making similar to how you’re describing? I can’t remember exactly how it worked when you wanted to try out different characters. I know there was some representation of ranking with each character along with your overall ranking but I can’t recall what that meant for matchmaking.

The few times I’ve tried a new character in ranked (Ryu,Guile, and Rashid), it’s really interesting to see where I bottom out.

For instance, with Guile I dipped down to ~2500LP and hovered around there. With Rashid....saw Bronze for the first time in about a year and a half. My natural play style seemed better suited for Guile, and I really struggled adapting to Rashid.

It’s also gratifying to realize that I have a better overall grasp of the game. I recall working my ASS off getting to Silver, took probably 8 months or longer. At that point, the thought of reaching Gold was discouraging; every Gold player I encountered seemed like they were playing a totally different game.

Point is, it’s a good feeling to pick a new character and be competitive at a level that took months and months of practice before.

Maybe, I barely played SFIV so I can't remember.

I imagine this variation only gets worse as you improve... I seem to be solidly in Silver with Kolin now, but I can't maintain that with anyone else. And if I wanted to experiment with Menat or Dhalsim I'd quickly find myself in Bronze or Super Bronze... losing 10+ matches in a row just to get to a level where I could be competitive.

If I were Gold I'd think that would only be worse... having to lose 20 or 30 straight to "bottom out"

And yea, I can imagine it must feel great to be like a default silver league player, I'm that way with I'd say about Super Bronze, where people still play unsafe or overly predictable. (honestly that might be the most enjoyable casual level of the game lol)

But yea, after a few tense Kolin ranked matches... I'm a bit worn and would like to go pick up some random secondary character in a lower league for some more casual play.

So this gold Sim was doing a pretty good job of keeping me out and pelting away at my health. We had one game each going into the final game, and I managed to whiff punish one of his standing medium punches from like full screen into arrow to start pressure. I could see the panic for the rest of that round. It was pretty sweet, and I called it a night because there's no way I was gonna top that.

So this gold Sim was doing a pretty good job of keeping me out and pelting away at my health. We had one game each going into the final game, and I managed to whiff punish one of his standing medium punches from like full screen into arrow to start pressure. I could see the panic for the rest of that round. It was pretty sweet, and I called it a night because there's no way I was gonna top that.

Good work man! That reminds of a mechanic in the game that I never really became privy to until more recently. And that is, buffering special moves into normals for whiff punishing so that the special only comes out on hit.

This fella explains it pretty well...

It sounds like that’s what you did to get in, but I had no idea that was a technique I was missing out on until just a couple months ago! I’m still not very good at it, but when you can land it, boy that’s a sweet feeling.

Good work man! That reminds of a mechanic in the game that I never really became privy to until more recently. And that is, buffering special moves into normals for whiff punishing so that the special only comes out on hit.

This fella explains it pretty well...

It sounds like that’s what you did to get in, but I had no idea that was a technique I was missing out on until just a couple months ago! I’m still not very good at it, but when you can land it, boy that’s a sweet feeling.

I've done it to other moves before like Gief's armored straight punch and Alex's big boot, but those moves have a ton of startup frames. This is the only time that I've ever managed it on one of Sim's normals.

I need to get better at it though. Lots of players like to just toss out sweep, for instance, and I know it can be whiff punished by buffering crouching medium kick. I almost always use standing hard punch because it has good range and is fast. The problem is that it doesn't hit low attacks.

I've done it to other moves before like Gief's armored straight punch and Alex's big boot, but those moves have a ton of startup frames. This is the only time that I've ever managed it on one of Sim's normals.

I need to get better at it though. Lots of players like to just toss out sweep, for instance, and I know it can be whiff punished by buffering crouching medium kick. I almost always use standing hard punch because it has good range and is fast. The problem is that it doesn't hit low attacks.

Yeah, so far I can only land a heavy tatsu buffered into standing mp but I haven’t practiced enough to be consistent. Often times I’ll buffer too soon and get crouching mp. Other times I’m too close and my mp connects on block and the tatsu comes out and I’m open for big time punishment.

It will just take practice. But I love these finer points in a fighting game. Stuff you would never find in a manual or the game’s integrated tutorials.

Hey guys, sorry about missing the battle lounge last night. I’ll be on next week though and I’m thinking about streaming it on Twitch. I doubt anyone here will watch it, but if they don’t want to play at least they can see how the matches are going.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gladiator47
Back