Strength and Conditioning Standards. How many have you hit?

But can you do it?
That is irrelevant to the point I am making.

Which is that box jumps for max height is one of the dumbest fitness standards (or exercises, for that matter) one could come up with.

100m in

Hard to say about that 400m time. For me, breaking 60 shouldn't be too much of an issue for someone who trains the 400m. If they're "advanced " but not Elite, breaking 50 seems reasonable. I don't know, I've never broken 50, but I've run low 50s in HS and I wasn't anywhere near good enough to compete at university level in the 300m (because our track season in uni is indoor)

I want to say our 400m winner at provincial would run close to the 50 second mark.

At the Yorkshire county championships this month the winning time for 400m was 48.8s
The 5k time was 15:46 when the standard on the list was 20minutes
Just seemed a bit of a large gap, you will get infinitely more 20 min 5k runners than sub 50second 400m runners

That is irrelevant to the point I am making.

Which is that box jumps for max height is one of the dumbest fitness standards (or exercises, for that matter) one could come up with.

Okay, scratch box jump. It is hard to gauge true athletic ability because of variation in what is considered a box jump, the landing , the crouch, etc.

Standing vertical jump offers almost no variation, and its used in the combines of multiple sports. Its a fairly decent measure of athletic ability.

Google search says 16-20 for the average male. Over 24 is considered good, 36 is excellent, and anything over 40 is elite. Michael Jordans was 48 for reference.

At the Yorkshire county championships this month the winning time for 400m was 48.8s
The 5k time was 15:46 when the standard on the list was 20minutes
Just seemed a bit of a large gap, you will get infinitely more 20 min 5k runners than sub 50second 400m runners

It was not all that difficult for me to break 20 minutes in the 5K. 8 weeks of good, consistent training and it happened. breaking 50s in the 400m would be a tough one for me.

Barbell
Squat: >2x BW
Bench:1.5x-2x BW

Bodyweight
100 x Push Ups
150 x Sit Ups
20+ Pull ups at BW

That's about it. I could do the BW when I was in the military. I haven't tried it since then.

I haven't seen 200+lb guys military pressing 200+lbs in any of the weight rooms I've been in. Maybe the smaller guys can press 1.25 their BW, but I've never noticed it.

Same, @Mr Mojo Lane
There are very few 200lbs guys in my area who are strict pressing 200 lbs. Unless they're 5'6"

But I think that's more an issue with the quality of the lifters than anything else.

Same, @Mr Mojo Lane
There are very few 200lbs guys in my area who are strict pressing 200 lbs. Unless they're 5'6"

But I think that's more an issue with the quality of the lifters than anything else.

TS's numbers are pretty high for advanced but not necessarily elite. It is a decent place to start though

TS's numbers are pretty high for advanced but not necessarily elite. It is a decent place to start though

Most people can hit 1BW for sure though. I am a smaller advanced novice and I am just shy of .8 x BW in 3 months.

The Squat, Deadlift and Press ones.

And I've come pretty close on the 5k and 10k ones. Wouldn't come close today though, if you're asking for current capacity.

No idea about the bodyweight ones. Guess I might be able to do some of them, though I'm gonna say hard pass on the pull-ups and box jumps.

The Squat standard seem very low, by the way. 2x bodyweight is peanuts unless you're 220 lbs+.

Last edited:
I can't do a single one of those stats lol! Pretty close to very close on most of them though.

I thought you were stronk. That's my impression from reading some of your posts anyway. Are you very heavy or something, or how come you can't do the barbell ones?

The Squat, Deadlift and Press ones.

And I've come pretty close on the 5k and 10k ones. Wouldn't come close today though, if you're asking for current capacity.

No idea about the bodyweight ones. Guess I might be able to do some of them, though I'm gonna say hard pass on the pull-ups and pistol squats.

The Squat standard seem very low, by the way. 2x bodyweight is peanuts unless you're 220 lbs+.
This was the concern I had. 2X BW squat for me is roughly 400Lbs which I would consider a heavy squat. I'm willing to bet most 200 lbs men on this planet cannot do this. BUT, when I'm at a PL meet, my 400lb squat would be the close to the bottom in the comp at my weight class. Does this mean the guys who squatted 405 are advanced? I wouldn't consider it advanced because there are a shit ton of people in strength sports who weigh 200lbs breaking a 400lbs squat.

This was the concern I had. 2X BW squat for me is roughly 400Lbs which I would consider a heavy squat. I'm willing to bet most 200 lbs men on this planet cannot do this. BUT, when I'm at a PL meet, my 400lb squat would be the close to the bottom in the comp at my weight class. Does this mean the guys who squatted 405 are advanced? I wouldn't consider it advanced because there are a shit ton of people in strength sports who weigh 200lbs breaking a 400lbs squat.

It is also very low when compared to the other standards listed. If you consistently train both exercises with a similar scheme, you should be able to move roughly the same amount of weight in both squat and deadlift. Yet the standard for deadlift is a whole .5 higher.

It is also very low when compared to the other standards listed. If you consistently train both exercises with a similar scheme, you should be able to move roughly the same amount of weight in both squat and deadlift. Yet the standard for deadlift is a whole .5 higher.

If I took all of those standards and focused solely on achieving them (much like an athlete in those particular sports would) I could probably achieve them all, however some would take much longer than others because of my athletic history, etc.

Is it advanced in the powerlifting world? No its clearly intermediate, but in a general sports Strength and Conditioning setting, being able to squat 405 while doing basketball, football, fighting training is fantastic.

The average guy in the UFC can't do 405 CURRENTLY. Maybe at one point or if they focused on it, but most of them probably cant do that.

Prime Joe frazier failed to military press 170 w/ a lot of leg and momentum. He might have a problem w/ his left Anyways some really good athletes have a problem military pressing more than 170lb. That was the pole vault champs max. I got the minimum, the above average and the real heavy elite examples

There are some fairly jacked dudes doing 1.25 BW w/ military presses. I don't see to many people training this. The only time in my life that I did real heavy military presses was when I was on 5/3/1 for a couple of years. Generally, people don't train real heavy on this. I got some work to do on MP's

Standing vertical jump offers almost no variation, and its used in the combines of multiple sports. Its a fairly decent measure of athletic ability.

Google search says 16-20 for the average male. Over 24 is considered good, 36 is excellent, and anything over 40 is elite. Michael Jordans was 48 for reference.
The standing vertical is a great measure of athletic ability.

MJ was an amazing jumping ability... but a 48" standing vert sounds exaggerated.

Prime Joe frazier failed to military press 170 w/ a lot of leg and momentum. He might have a problem w/ his left Anyways some really good athletes have a problem military pressing more than 170lb. That was the pole vault champs max. I got the minimum, the above average and the real heavy elite examples

There are some fairly jacked dudes doing 1.25 BW w/ military presses. I don't see to many people training this. The only time in my life that I did real heavy military presses was when I was on 5/3/1 for a couple of years. Generally, people don't train real heavy on this. I got some work to do on MP's
255 was my best and that’s with some body English 405 is insane

i never saw anyone doing 100 pushups in a row with full rom and without a break at the top.
150 sit-ups is a pointless high quantity (for any exercise) and 10 pistols is not hard to do if you got the technique down.

i don't know why most calisthenics standards always end up in a bunch of ridiculous senseless numbers in comparison to the barbell lifts.

it would be better to request calisthenics endurance with the addition of a time limit like e.g. the barbarian requirements or the "100 pushups/50 pull ups under 5 minutes" thing.

Last edited:
The 1.5BW Bench is the only one I've hit. I probably could've ran some of those distances within the time limit while i was an active boxer since I ran quite a lot.
Why no oly lift standards though?

Back