Strength in Interesting Places

Nah... I am a Technical Advisor. I work on stuff like management, finance, organizational development, project design. Very non-Blackwatery.

Blackwater - after some serious litigation and public perception problems - is now Academi, which seems fitting for an academic such as J.A.

However, I have friends and acquaintances - mostly acquaintances - that have or do currently work for contracting services / PMC's / security consulting companies, and Jaunty is nothing like most of them (I mean that in the best possible manner). Many of the "tier two" operators I have met are not the most friendly, mature, professional, or competent people. I do know some "tier one" guys who are exceedingly competent and intelligent, and I have much respect for them.

But Jaunty is, by and large, more...refined.

Hey stranger, what part of the world are you in these days?

Hope all is well.

Hi gbg! Nice to see you back, hope you will stick around for a while.

I am Chiang Mai right now. I am looking at a 7-8 week break before my next project starts, which is not too shabby as I have a little money at the moment and don't absolutely have to work.

I'll be taking various breaks- I am going down to Bangkok this weekend to see some friends and to get a pair of handmade/custom-fitted shoes ($100-$200, can't be bad, right?) and I will need to cross a border at some point to refresh my visa, so will probably be going to Angkor Wat and maybe Pnomh Penh, too. Since I have plenty of time, I might journey over land. But basically hanging out in Chiang Mai, lifting, going out for jogs in the city, eating, reading, drinking.

Blackwater - after some serious litigation and public perception problems - is now Academi, which seems fitting for an academic such as J.A.

However, I have friends and acquaintances - mostly acquaintances - that have or do currently work for contracting services / PMC's / security consulting companies, and Jaunty is nothing like most of them (I mean that in the best possible manner). Many of the "tier two" operators I have met are not the most friendly, mature, professional, or competent people. I do know some "tier one" guys who are exceedingly competent and intelligent, and I have much respect for them.

But Jaunty is, by and large, more...refined.

Yes, I run into lots of security contractors, and also a reasonable number of military and special forces types through my interactions with Embassies and NATO/ISAF. And while there is a good bit of variety within the groups, no one would mistake me as being a member of either.

I had the opportunity to work for Blackwater when they were first transitioning from training facility to international "consulants" I turned them down. Maybe I shouldn't of. Oh well.

In other words, you're more of a Timothy Dalton or Pierce Brosnan type than Daniel Craig type super spy.

Back