Strength Training and Striking

I have been bodybuilding for a while for aesthetic reasons so haven' trained boxing

Recently I've become obsessed with squats, they'r my favourite exercise and I had never really bothered to do them before.

My legs are bigger and stronger now than ever before

I will will be interested to see how my power is when I start up boxing again.

I have been bodybuilding for a while for aesthetic reasons so haven' trained boxing

Recently I've become obsessed with squats, they'r my favourite exercise and I had never really bothered to do them before.

My legs are bigger and stronger now than ever before

I will will be interested to see how my power is when I start up boxing again.

I'll be curious to hear your experience.

As I do boxing and soccer here is how lifting has helpted me.

I was in a very shitty form for many, many years.
I trained soccer pre teen and as a teen but after that I gained about 60 kg and started smoking. I have been hugely over weight for many years. I have played soccer during these years but I was pretty bad.
I started fight sports to lose weight and I sucked.
Then I started lifting.
My best performance in both fight sports and soccer came when I started lifting seriously. It really transfered into soccer more than it did to boxing. From the poor Joe nobody wanted in the team, I am now the most wanted defensive midfielder in the amateur league. I had few calls already, even a small salary offered to play for an amateur club.
Regarding boxing, my athletic development has helped me with some improved speed, feeling lighter in general, being faster. However in fight sports nothing replaces technique and experience. In soccer technique is important (I always had it), but physical condition is super important.

don't get he wrong i'm not knocking lifting, i'm just saying too much can be counterproductive and the time could be invested into more useful training. even if you want to lift heavy for a while then have a break. the week or two off allows the muscles to relax and work more efficiently. some of the biggest gains in punching power i have made are after time off.

This is definitely true. It's valuable to have a certain baseline level of strength and it's worth lifting to get there, but past a point the returns are diminishing. Most guys can get to the Starting Strength men's standards (1.5xBW squat, 2x DL, 1.15x bench, .75x press) pretty quickly, and I think that's enough for most non-professional athletes. Past that point you're adding bulk you probably don't need unless you're trying to jump up a weight class or two.

I will say though that the notion of certain kinds of strength being less applicable or certain kinds of lifting being bad for certain kinds of exercises has largely been debunked. It's true that isometric strength and working the eccentric parts of lifts is less valuable for explosive sports like striking (which is why plyometrics and Oly lifting are pretty good choices), but the tightness you need to develop to be able to squat and DL big weights isn't going to hurt AS LONG AS you're doing enough striking training that you stay loose and relaxed. But that's mostly a function of technique, not physicality.

This is definitely true. It's valuable to have a certain baseline level of strength and it's worth lifting to get there, but past a point the returns are diminishing. Most guys can get to the Starting Strength men's standards (1.5xBW squat, 2x DL, 1.15x bench, .75x press) pretty quickly, and I think that's enough for most non-professional athletes. Past that point you're adding bulk you probably don't need unless you're trying to jump up a weight class or two.

I will say though that the notion of certain kinds of strength being less applicable or certain kinds of lifting being bad for certain kinds of exercises has largely been debunked. It's true that isometric strength and working the eccentric parts of lifts is less valuable for explosive sports like striking (which is why plyometrics and Oly lifting are pretty good choices), but the tightness you need to develop to be able to squat and DL big weights isn't going to hurt AS LONG AS you're doing enough striking training that you stay loose and relaxed. But that's mostly a function of technique, not physicality.
i believe the most effective training has a bit to do with body type, naturally stronger more explosive people tend to get more out of learning to be coordinated (bodyweight exercises). less explosive slow twitch people can get massive benefits from heavy lifting.

Last edited:
i believe the most effective training has bit to do with body type, naturally stronger more explosive people tend to get more out of learning to be coordinated (bodyweight exercises). less explosive slow twitch people can get massive benefits from heavy lifting.

Skinny fat, TKD red belts, living a life of solitude...........what would benefit them??

not strength training per-say, find a lot of benefits while balling out 2x a week during my current fight camp (non-stop sprinting and banging with the big boys)

using these games as a litmus test.. gauging how fast and for how long I can keep the running up for

though if I was going to pick one exercise which I see the most benefit is pull-ups

wish I had more time to slip in a few days of 5 x 5

How many people actually meet those strength standards though ?

Squat 1.5 x bodyweight
Deadlift 2 x bodyweight
Press 0.75 x bodyweight

I don't meet any of them tbh

Curious how many people on here do meet them ?

Squat 1.5 x bodyweight
Deadlift 2 x bodyweight
Press 0.75 x bodyweight

Have you tested to find out for sure?

I've been at that standard for the entirety of my adult life.

I wish I had been lifting all my adult life. Better late than never I guess. I'm closing in on these numbers atm.

Squat 1.5 x bodyweight
Deadlift 2 x bodyweight
Press 0.75 x bodyweight

Anybody who has been lifting for a while will usually meet these tbh. I've found it easy to get close to this in 6 months.

Squat 1.5 x bodyweight
Deadlift 2 x bodyweight
Press 0.75 x bodyweight

I'm around there. Squat and DL are a little low as I'm coming back from a knee injury that took me off lower body lifting for about 4-6 weeks, but I'll get back there quickly. Interestingly, even when I was really into lifting I never got much past those numbers, but I'm a pretty extreme ectomorph and don't put on muscle (or fat, other than my normal small love handles, thankfully) for shit.

I haven't tested these

Are they one rep maxes ?

I weigh 80kg

I know I can't deadlift 160kg

Pretty sure I can't squat 120kg

I have previously been able to do 5 struct reps of 80kg on shoulder press but that was many years ago, may be able to hit 60kg now though and can probably meet the bench target too but not certain

Squat 1.5 x bodyweight
Deadlift 2 x bodyweight
Press 0.75 x bodyweight

Its not difficult, I hit those after a year after going on a strength training program, and I'm not a prodigy at this. For ammy fighters who are new and focused on their camp, its harder to balance it, but its still very much attainable.

prostitutes and cocaine. or maybe just a big ol' slice of humble pie.

I fear, money + cocaine + prostitute's = American Psycho in Sweden......

Humble pie always gets served when you get punched in the face the first couple of times in sparring...... For your average person but this is a case of 10/10 on the Charlie Zelenoff scale......

I haven't tested these

Are they one rep maxes ?

I weigh 80kg

I know I can't deadlift 160kg

Pretty sure I can't squat 120kg

I have previously been able to do 5 struct reps of 80kg on shoulder press but that was many years ago, may be able to hit 60kg now though and can probably meet the bench target too but not certain
Sounds like maybe you don't do deadlifting and squats as much as bench and ohp... Am.I right?

They are 1RMs yeh.

Thought this video on JRE with Firas - definitely applies to this thread:

This is pretty much my mantra on training right now. Consistency > Intensity.

Thought this video on JRE with Firas - definitely applies to this thread:

This is pretty much my mantra on training right now. Consistency > Intensity.

As somebody who is coming to the end of lineal progression, I completely agree that if you're aching a lot the next day you're doing it wrong.

Sounds like maybe you don't do deadlifting and squats as much as bench and ohp... Am.I right?

They are 1RMs yeh.

Yeah you are right

I'e only recently started squatting and I love them. I squat 5x5 every other day with the occasional two days off. I believe they are causing full body growth not just my legs and I feel strong all over by doing them.

I hope to hit 120kg on them for 1 set of 5 by the end of the year. Currently doing 85kg 5x5 which is only a little bit above bodyweight so quite weak but I am new to them

Because I squat so much I'm not doing any deadlifts at all at the minute. For my lower back and hamstrings I just do some hyperextensions after my squats

Yeah you are right

I'e only recently started squatting and I love them. I squat 5x5 every other day with the occasional two days off. I believe they are causing full body growth not just my legs and I feel strong all over by doing them.

I hope to hit 120kg on them for 1 set of 5 by the end of the year. Currently doing 85kg 5x5 which is only a little bit above bodyweight so quite weak but I am new to them

Because I squat so much I'm not doing any deadlifts at all at the minute. For my lower back and hamstrings I just do some hyperextensions after my squats

Be careful with the squat heavy routine on the hamstrings.......

Back