Striking entries for osoto gari and ouchi gari

dudeguyman

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Osoto gari

Ouchi gari

If your goal was to use one of these, and the other guy wants to throw some kicks/punches, how would you transition from striking to one of these two throws?

Search for clinching entries from Muay Thai, you may find something you like there...
One classic technique for the clinch is: You have one hand that goes behind your opponent head, that you can change to the collar grip, and the other hand goes at the bicep from the inside to control the arm, which you can change to the elbow grip you use.

But that's my theory, no idea if you can really make it work...

parry + step in -> clinch, then work from there

counter his cross with a long knee, then clinch immediately. If timed well, he'll be winded slightly which gives you that split second to enter

cross-counter his jab (if he gets lazy with retracting it), then get inside

close into clinch on a hook. Tight guard, do like a jab, except instead of hitting him straight on, have your jab hand come around his head and pull him in. Its important you do NOT reach, but STEP in. Natural instinct for all of us to reach ends up with your chin raised. No bueno, no bueno.

Kevin-Hart-Takes-Big-Words-As-Disrespect-In-40-Year-Old-Virgin.jpg

Osoto gari

Ouchi gari

If your goal was to use one of these, and the other guy wants to throw some kicks/punches, how would you transition from striking to one of these two throws?

Hey brother i found your thread..the osoto is a big go to throw for me..i use it as a counter to single collar ties and when im attacking i use it off a step in jab when my opponent is coming forward aggresively.. i use the step in jab to close the distance into first position of osoto then finish it quickly before my opponent can adjust.

Hey brother i found your thread..the osoto is a big go to throw for me..i use it as a counter to single collar ties and when im attacking i use it off a step in jab when my opponent is coming forward aggresively.. i use the step in jab to close the distance into first position of osoto then finish it quickly before my opponent can adjust.

Same here with the step in jab. My clinch is a big part of my game and Iv even hit the osoto two or three times in a row on the same guy. If you have no idea what to do its not a fun ride to go on

Just strike into the clinch. You can use either of these throws with double over, over/under, or double unders. The harder part is getting a good feel for when uke's balance and pressure make either one of them appropriate, regardless of the clinch position you find yourself in. Generally speaking I rarely get the sort of neutral or retreating energy from my opponent to make them work, though with ouchi if someone's trying to circle off the ropes/cage that's a good time to hit it. But I personally find that of the throws I do well sasae is by far the most useful because guys will frequently react to pressure by simply pushing back into you.

Hello.
F11's resident sambo guy here.

I'm combat sambo a useful way is to step off center after a jab and throw what appears to be a wide right/left hand. What it actually is a cover to wrap your arm around their neck and pull them off balance, as their weight shifts onto one leg, you Osoto gari them to sweep.

You can't really strike into an ouchi gari though, as you generally need to be clinched in order to pull it off. What you really want to do is look at how Ronda Rousey does it.

c292fc9dc45970a3fb0d1750d65e3b83.gif

You can shift the weight with your left hook (assuming orthodox) in order to push them towards the reaping leg with more momentum but it could be difficult to hook it in off of the left hook, it might be better to throw a left hook while in the clinch.

Generally you need to transfer weight in the same way you would when throwing punches. You bring your weight to one side to grant more power when you attack from the otherside, a left hook will load your body in a way that you can get more power when you shove them with the underhook.

I'd also say if you're talking about MMA, train your throws all the time with and without gi, for versatility but when looking at application of throws watch less gi judo and more Ronda Rousey, Khabib Nurmagomedov, Fedor Emelianenko and Sexyama.

Just strike into the clinch. You can use either of these throws with double over, over/under, or double unders. The harder part is getting a good feel for when uke's balance and pressure make either one of them appropriate, regardless of the clinch position you find yourself in. Generally speaking I rarely get the sort of neutral or retreating energy from my opponent to make them work, though with ouchi if someone's trying to circle off the ropes/cage that's a good time to hit it. But I personally find that of the throws I do well sasae is by far the most useful because guys will frequently react to pressure by simply pushing back into you.
Yeah! I was planning on working on my clinch fighting for now.
<Goldie11>

Hello.
F11's resident sambo guy here.

I'm combat sambo a useful way is to step off center after a jab and throw what appears to be a wide right/left hand. What it actually is a cover to wrap your arm around their neck and pull them off balance, as their weight shifts onto one leg, you Osoto gari them to sweep.

You can't really strike into an ouchi gari though, as you generally need to be clinched in order to pull it off. What you really want to do is look at how Ronda Rousey does it.

c292fc9dc45970a3fb0d1750d65e3b83.gif

You can shift the weight with your left hook (assuming orthodox) in order to push them towards the reaping leg with more momentum but it could be difficult to hook it in off of the left hook, it might be better to throw a left hook while in the clinch.

Generally you need to transfer weight in the same way you would when throwing punches. You bring your weight to one side to grant more power when you attack from the otherside, a left hook will load your body in a way that you can get more power when you shove them with the underhook.

I'd also say if you're talking about MMA, train your throws all the time with and without gi, for versatility but when looking at application of throws watch less gi judo and more Ronda Rousey, Khabib Nurmagomedov, Fedor Emelianenko and Sexyama.
<5>
Cool stuff. Thx.

Same here with the step in jab. My clinch is a big part of my game and Iv even hit the osoto two or three times in a row on the same guy. If you have no idea what to do its not a fun ride to go on

Yeah its much easier to hit then the ouchi..im wondering setups for more of the power style throws, tripping or reaping techniques im pretty good with but do you have any setup ideas for lets say a uchi mata or harai goshi..i would love to hit those with more regularity both in sparring and grappling formats..ive been fooling around with them for abit but i feel like im.missing something or could be easier

Yeah its much easier to hit then the ouchi..im wondering setups for more of the power style throws, tripping or reaping techniques im pretty good with but do you have any setup ideas for lets say a uchi mata or harai goshi..i would love to hit those with more regularity both in sparring and grappling formats..ive been fooling around with them for abit but i feel like im.missing something or could be easier

To be honest iv never done formal judo training but if you understand the way the throws work its not super hard to hit them in sparring. Saying that not many of the guys I spar are use to it. For me it all starts with getting the clinch and since most guys will try to get a over/under to get a more dominant position I just control the bicep with my under hook and hit the uchi mata. Once you have them connected to your hip and you hook their leg its hard not to follow through. Id also say to do the whole motion explosively as opposed to trying to "lower" the guy to the ground, if youre gonna toss them they should know how to break fall

Back