Striking> Grappling

6 of 8 current male champions have a wrestling base.

People with better striking bases get outstruck all the time - Anderson by Whiteman, Wonderboy by Woodley, Gus by Rumble, Holly by Cyborg, Overeem by tons of people, Hunt by tons of people, Joanna by Rose, etc.
Overeem never got outstruck when he was Ubereem. Hunt is like 45. He wasn't getting outstruck 15 years ago and he was an average K-1 fighter. And plus, they're HW kickboxers. Regional level boxing usually > world class level upper weight class kickboxing.

Those other guys striking bases are, what exactly? That's the point. You're talking a national level wrestler in a guy like Rumble, and Gus' striking background is what? Just being tall? Wonderboy is what? Champion in karate? Anderson's boxing background is what? Getting KOd by a guy without a wikipedia page?

Get Anthony Joshua into MMA and then we can talk.

Maybe he traveled to the alien planet to regain his fight finishing skills to use against Bisping? That would also explain why he had to take a long break from competition. Interstellar travel takes time.
Could be possible.

GSP, Machida, and Conor are the only Zuffa/WME-era UFC champions, I can think of that didn't come from either a wrestling, BJJ, catch, or sambo base.
That's what we call an outlier.

Last edited:
I hear all the time. "Wrestling is the best base for MMA". I disagree. Maybe before when nobody knew how to defend a double leg. But now if you are a high level striker you have the advantage over these part time strikers in MMA. And the evidence is in the UFC.

GSP entered the UFC with ZERO wrestling credential. He was a second degree black belt in Kyokushin Karate. He became the best wrestler while training all the MMA arts like boxing, kickboxing, BJJ, wrestling etc. Another example is another GOAT Anderson silva. He has 11 straight title defences and came from a muy thai background. Jose Aldo was Mostly a Dutch style kickboxer. 10 title defences.

Other examples include. Conor Mcgregor. Jr Amatuer boxer and mostly all striking. 2 Weight UFC champ. Joanna J. Muy thai world champion 5 title defences In UFC. Cro Cop. I mean the list goes on.

In my not so humble opinion. Best base is Boxing/ Kickboxing. Then spend years learning TDD an you are good because you will outstrike the part time striker in MMA.

I cannot stress how stupid you are right now.

You derailed your argument in the first sentence

I hear all the time. "Wrestling is the best base for MMA". I disagree. Maybe before when nobody knew how to defend a double leg. But now if you are a high level striker you have the advantage over these part time strikers in MMA. And the evidence is in the UFC.

GSP entered the UFC with ZERO wrestling credential. He was a second degree black belt in Kyokushin Karate. He became the best wrestler while training all the MMA arts like boxing, kickboxing, BJJ, wrestling etc. Another example is another GOAT Anderson silva. He has 11 straight title defences and came from a muy thai background. Jose Aldo was Mostly a Dutch style kickboxer. 10 title defences.

Other examples include. Conor Mcgregor. Jr Amatuer boxer and mostly all striking. 2 Weight UFC champ. Joanna J. Muy thai world champion 5 title defences In UFC. Cro Cop. I mean the list goes on.

In my not so humble opinion. Best base is Boxing/ Kickboxing. Then spend years learning TDD an you are good because you will outstrike the part time striker in MMA.

Are you serious?

Imagine if there was no greater out lessor, and he who finds a harmonic balancer achieves the greatest success.

Kind of like GSP.

Btw, just to help the OP, Jose Aldo was a BJJ phenom long before he ever got into MMA.

What does join dates have to do with anything, we have the same 4 guys posting under different names for over 15 years on this site.

If you're posting that GSP's first fight against an elite wrestler was against Hendricks, posting the join date saves me the trouble of calling you retarded.

If you're posting that GSP's first fight against an elite wrestler was against Hendricks, posting the join date saves me the trouble of calling you retarded.

Ok, I guess you started watching MMA in 2010 based on that dumbass logic.

Ok, I guess you started watching MMA in 2010 based on that dumbass logic.

Yes.
On exactly January 25th, 2010.

The operative word here being watching, as in, i was watching GSP fight: Matt Hughes, Sean Sherk, Dave Strasser, Jay Hieron, Koscheck, Fitch and Jake Shields.... Y'know? Wrestlers, and all before Hendricks.

The moral of the story being that there is an expectation that comes along with an early join date, and that expectation is that there is an implied knowledge or at least a reasonable facsimile.

If you have a 2007 join date and you think Hendricks is the first high-level wrestler GSP faced, I have no idea why you joined an MMA website..... Also you are retarded.

People with better striking bases get outstruck all the time - Anderson by Whiteman, Wonderboy by Woodley, Gus by Rumble, Holly by Cyborg, Overeem by tons of people, Hunt by tons of people, Joanna by Rose, etc.
Rose is originally from Kung fu, cyborg is jits, rumble in my opinion is a striker not a grappler.

I know that rumble bit is symantics and that he comes from a wrestling background, but his wrestling wasn’t useful to him and any of his fights.

Laughed at “overeem by tons of people.”

Poor Reem.

MMA rules were created mostly to spare us from endless fights and give wrestling a chance so that UFC could grow in america.

No matter what happens, wrestling will always have a special part in regulations, not just now, but in the upcoming future. So if you're starting today I'd suggest that you really go for a wrestling background, you'll be a in a safe spot for sure.

If you have a 2007 join date and you think Hendricks is the first high-level wrestler GSP faced, I have no idea why you joined an MMA website..... Also you are retarded.

Hendrics was alsow big weigh cuter like GSP. Other are smal "non elite" wrestler GSP faced.

GSP is grease cheater alsow. (BJ match)

You think every fighter in the UFC is as studious, athletic and talented as GSP? He was outwrestling some of the best wrestles/grapplers ever in MMA and he learned wrestling late. Its asinine to compare every fighter to GSP, a once in a generation type talent and say "Hey GSP did it, why cant you?".

GSP is the exception and not the norm, dont use him as an example to claim striking first, wrestling second when no one else in MMA has ever had the attributes he had.
yup... wrestling is one of those things you either got it or you don't. some guys have the uncanny ability to just land on their feet all the time, like a freaking cat. I myself never participated in any type of organized wrestling, we didnt have wrestling in my high school until maybe this year or 2 years ago actually... but iv fought with and wrestled many many times in my life. Most always against bigger guys and i dont know how to explain it but im just able to land on my feet, gain dominant position, always able to shift my weight and my hips in order to keep my base and not get taken down let alone held down. Now i might not have been a championship wrestler if i had tried but i sure as well would be pretty good. Some of you might not understand this and will talk shit....but im sure some of you will understand. Some guys just have good wrestling ability and some don't just the way some guys are just faster runners than others.

One on one=grappling
Multiple on one=striking
<{imoyeah}>

Overeem never got outstruck when he was Ubereem. Hunt is like 45. He wasn't getting outstruck 15 years ago and he was an average K-1 fighter. And plus, they're HW kickboxers. Regional level boxing usually > world class level upper weight class kickboxing.

Those other guys striking bases are, what exactly? That's the point. You're talking a national level wrestler in a guy like Rumble, and Gus' striking background is what? Just being tall? Wonderboy is what? Champion in karate? Anderson's boxing background is what? Getting KOd by a guy without a wikipedia page?

Get Anthony Joshua into MMA and then we can talk.
Pretty sure Wonderboy is something like 57-0 in kickboxing

GSP entered the UFC with ZERO wrestling credential. He was a second-degree black belt in Kyokushin Karate. He became the best wrestler while training all the MMA arts like boxing, kickboxing, BJJ, wrestling etc. Another example is another GOAT Anderson Silva. He has 11 straight title defenses and came from a muy thai background. Jose Aldo was Mostly a Dutch style kickboxer. 10 title defenses.

GSP is a horrible example, after losing the first time to a wrestler he went back and began to focus on his ground game. Following his 2nd loss, he changed his style completely and became a wrestler that used his striking to set up his takedowns.

Silva's early career losses were to grapplers and his streak ending loss came at the hands of a grappler that was able to focus on striking while Silva was expecting to defend a takedown. Not to mention every time Silva looked vulnerable in the UFC prior to that loss was when he was taken down wrestlers.

Jose Aldo was your best argument and nearly everyone expected his run to come to an end against a wrestler, but he was able to avoid that.

As others have mentioned
Champions:
Stipe - wrestling
DC - wrestling
Whittaker - karate/wrestling
Woodley - Wrestling
Khabib - Wrestling
Holloway - Kickboxing
TJ - Wrestling
DJ - Wrestling
Cyborg - bjj/muy thai
Amanda - muy thai
Nicco - boxing
Rose - TKD
Essentially the only place where striking is dominate is when the fighters are perceived as being raw and untalented.

Wrestling has always been the greater base, see Gracie vs Hughes

Back