Striking Study: Videos and details of specific boxing techniques

elwani

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I thought it may be helpful to write some posts laying out details about specific techniques that I've gathered over time and have helped me in sparring (in boxing), both for my own reference and hopefully as a way to learn from others. Please feel welcomed to contribute.

Disclaimer: I am not a professional fighter. I just love the technical art of striking, watching tape, reading anything I can, and trying to figure out the nuances of every strike. Then I try it in sparring and as Bruce Lee said "absorb what is useful, reject what is useless".

COUNTERPUNCH: Slip right and right cross counter to the jab

Outline
  • Examples
  • When to throw it
  • Setup details
  • Footwork details
  • Head movement details
  • Cross details
  • Proactive defense afterwards

Examples

Joe Louis vs Al Ettore rd 4 (stepping in)

Andrew Tabiti VS Thomas Hanshaw rd 2 1:15 (stepping in)

James Toney vs John Ruiz rd 11 1:19 (stepping in)

Sergey Khomitsky vs Adam Etches rd 4 1:28 (stepping back)

Lucas Matthysse vs Mike Dallas Jr rd 1 0:42 (opponent moving to your right with the jab)

When to throw it
  • Opponent is throwing out slow jabs one at a time, like a pawing or lazy jab
    • Opponent is not throwing a quick right after the jab
    • Opponent is not doubling up the jab
  • Opponent is leaving his head up and open after the jab
    • Opponent is not hiding his head with the jab, for example, by ducking his head right
    • Opponent is not bringing his left hand back quickly after the jab, possibly dropping it
  • (optional) Opponent is moving to your right while jabbing
    • Opponent is not moving to your left while jabbing

Setup details
  • You may setup the opponent by slipping right on their jab without countering a few times, lulling them into throwing progressively lazier and lazier jabs

Footwork details

• There are two variations of footwork depending on if opponent is or is not moving into you with the jab; the goal is to have enough space for the cross, but to be close enough to the opponent for the cross to connect close to your face
  • If the opponent is not moving forward much with the jab, step in to close the distance
    • Your right foot doesn't move, put weight on it as you slip right
    • Simultaneously step forward and slightly to the left with the left foot
    • Shift body weight forward from the right to left foot for the cross
  • If the opponent is moving into you with the jab, step back to create enough space
    • Step back with the right foot, pushing off the left foot
    • Put weight on the right foot as it lands and slip right
    • Simultaneously step back and slightly to the left with the left foot
    • Shift body weight forward from the right to left foot for the cross

Head movement details

• There is a danger that opponent follows the jab very quickly with a right straight, which can hit you as you're moving in to throw the right cross; for this reason, it may be safer to bend your head off the centerline to your left as you throw the right cross (as in Toney vs Ruiz)

Cross details

• You want the right cross to connect while your hand is close to your face; as Freddie Roach says "a 6 inch right hand is the best right hand"
  • The arm movement to load up for the punch should be small; as your body moves forward, open up your right elbow and raise your right hand as if you were taking an oath in court
  • Don't throw an overhand right rather than a cross; that is, don't load up by dropping your right hand all the way to your waist, don't swing rather than just bend it tightly over your opponent's left arm

Proactive defense afterwards

• Anticipate the opponent's right and defend proactively
  • Use one of the two standard evasive maneuvers after throwing a right: either duck left and weave out right, or duck left and pivot out left
  • Duck left and weave out right
    • Floyd Mayweather Jr vs Shane Mosley (This is a pull counter, but the defensive movement afterward is the same)
  • Duck left and pivot out left
    • Floyd Mayweather Jr vs Juan Manuel Marquez (This is a pull counter, but the defensive movement afterward is the same)
  • Or you can crash into the opponent and clinch
    • Floyd Mayweather Jr vs Phillip Ndou (This is a pull counter, but the defensive movement afterward is the same)

Last edited:
Back