Study Of Khabibs Failed TD Attempts

Really good breakdown. It was kind of funny though when he said "Once Khabib gets chest to chest"...the explanation was your fucked. LOL

A few problems with the video. Underhooking Khabib when he has an opposite side underhook does not mean an automatic takedown. If Khabib has a left underhook, getting an opposite side underhook is the best defense against him. He'll often just give up on his takedown attack. Khabib is much stronger from a right underhook, but he still needs strong head position - high in the chest of his opponent. There he blocks the opponent's head and prevents any leverage on the opponent's opposite side underhook. He then clamps down on the opponent's underhook to bodylock and looks to hip toss/forward trip - if they lean forward, inside trip if they pull back or step around a leg trip it out and pull them under. He'll work these attacks in combo. For example, he'll try to hip toss you, then when you pull back look for the step around trip. Pat Healy was able to block most of Khabib's fence takedowns - even when he had the bodylock. Barboza escaped one of Khabib's takedown attempts by muscling a right underhook. It worked because Khabib had poor head position on the attempt(low, facing the ground).

Nothing he does is elite by boxing standards. Infact his fundamentals are sorely lacking and its part of why he gets picked apart when he gasses.

it's very elite for mma tho where striking is barely above plodding and throwing over hand rights. He's a great MMA striker and has a wealth of natural talent as well as skill that carries him along when things are going his way. He's great at controlling distance and cutting angles and is the only person in MMA who throws feints.

It's clear by the way you describe shit and the terms that you make up that you clearly have no concept of striking beyond watching youtube videos and slobbering on McGs nuts. You should really go hit a boxing gym and attempt to learn about striking before you talk about it with the authority of a trained professional, because the rest of us can see right thru your bullshit and it makes you look like a dork.

Why not make some counter points then instead of going “bruh you know nothing bruh” without offering any solid information? Probably don’t even have a real reply so you say this instead.

Why not make some counter points then instead of going “bruh you know nothing bruh” without offering any solid information? Probably don’t even have a real reply so you say this instead.

What am I your fucking boxing coach now? I'm not interested in typing out a drawn out technical assessment of a sherdoggers shit post that will immediately be "TL;DR LOL'd". I offered a concise to the point rebuttal about McG's flaws as well as acknowledging his tremendous skill in certain areas.

Nothing more to say, anyone who actually has a moderate level of experience can see this guy waxing poetically about his favorite fighter and realize he doesn't actually understand what he's talking about. Illusion of knowledge. It's also blatant that dudes a troll, there's no counter argument or solid information to offer to a troll. Dudes having his fun let him do him, if you buy into his breakdowns tho? lol take bring that shit to sparring day and lemme know how it works out.

What am I your fucking boxing coach now? I'm not interested in typing out a drawn out technical assessment of a sherdoggers shit post that will immediately be "TL;DR LOL'd". I offered a concise to the point rebuttal about McG's flaws

You aren't interested in proving any of your "points" because you can't

What flaws? You never offered any counter points or rebuttals. You are seriously delusional

All you ever did was ramble on about how I "don't really know what I'm talking about"

That's the only response you ever managed to give

Yet anyone knowledgable who reads my breakdown threads, and who read that breakdown, can see that I clearly know what I'm talking about

It's not even about me. I'm objectively pointing out what is shown there on the footage

I bet you didn't even know what distance deception was until I broke it down for you

I bet you dont even know the different kinds of jabs or about speed variance or light shots to set up, or about what a leadhand game even is or all about

I bet you can't tell me what are the purposes of Conor's lead hand probing

I bet you dont even know what leadhand control is

If a fighter is constantly level changing and catching you coming up with strikes, what are you supposed to do?

You won't be able to answer any of these questions. Because you're the one putting on a front. You're the one who doesn't know shit. You are trying to mask the fact that you don't know fighting by projecting it on to me instead of engaging in actual specifics and actual discussion like I have been demanding of you

You are ducking me like the plauge

I refuted you on your nonsense about Conor and you aren't man enough to go "shit, you know what, that's true"

I was courteous enough to give you an actual technical analysis. So go actually read that breakdown and genuinely try to educate yourself. I'm being sincere. I mean it. You will come out better for it and with a better understanding of fighting after reading it

Last edited:
You aren't interested in proving any of your "points" because you can't

What flaws? You never offered any counter points or rebuttals. You are seriously delusional

All you ever did was ramble on about how I "don't really know what I'm talking about"

That's the only response you ever managed to give

Yet anyone knowledgable who reads my breakdown threads, and who read that breakdown, can see that I clearly know what I'm talking about

It's not even about me. I'm objectively pointing out what is shown there on the footage

I bet you didn't even know what distance deception was until I broke it down for you

I bet you dont even know the different kinds of jabs or about speed variance or light shots to set up, or about what a leadhand game even is or all about

I bet you can't tell me what are the purposes of Conor's lead hand probing

I bet you dont even know what leadhand control is

If a fighter is constantly level changing and catching you coming up with strikes, what are you supposed to do?

You won't be able to answer any of these questions. Because you're the one putting on a front. You're the one who doesn't know shit. You are trying to mask the fact that you don't know fighting by projecting it on to me instead of engaging in actual specifics and actual discussion like I have been demanding of you

You are ducking me like the plauge

I refuted you on your nonsense about Conor and you aren't man enough to go "shit, you know what, that's true"

I was courteous enough to give you an actual technical analysis. So go actually read that breakdown and genuinely try to educate yourself. I'm being sincere. I mean it. You will come out better for it and with a better understanding of fighting after reading it
BD2D4F21-C912-437F-9DA8-EA3D48B06395.jpeg

@Pancake Sprawl

You guys don't know much if you genuinely believe Conor is nothing but a "basic pull counter"

First of all, the ways in which Connor sets up his pull counters are very very highly advanced even by elite boxing standards

I will just name a couple methods of Conor's (there's many more)

1. Via leadhand control to shut down the jab hand and draw out the right hand response
o3WWqic.gif

2. Via various forms of distance deception
2nrzk3m.gif

-Conor leans his head forward to appear as a closer target to Nate's jab hand, naturally drawing out the jab from Nate, Conor pulls back and then counters. Such one fluid motion from Conor in going from his pull instantly to his counter.

3. Via using lateral steps and educated footwork to create angels for his pull counters and line up right hook combos off the pull
DirtyIdioticHyrax-size_restricted.gif

Conor takes side step to his left to take an angle, counter with the left from a safer position defensively then right hooks into it off the angle. Again Conor showing off that REAL skill based boxing footwork/angles/IQ/countering skill

It's like saying Floyd is an over rated BASIC boxer, because all he does is land pull counters vs orthodox, and right leads vs southpaws etc

And regardless here is Conor hitting more types of counters
NHafz2v.gif

Conor has all kinds of slip counters. He can slip and counter from the inside, outside, pull back etc. In that gif we see Conor hit an inside slip to parry down overhand counter on the much taller Nate while making both of Nate's 1-2 responses miss. Absolutely sublime countering by Conor.

Those were examples showing just how diverse a counter puncher Conor is. Now here are examples showing how complete and diverse Conor is as a whole striker period

When leading how he uses advanced leadhand tactics/ rhythm manipulation tactics to set up combos etc
OddballSpanishIbisbill.gif

Just think about how amazing that truly was to do that to Holloway

-Lead hand probe, lead hand probe, condition, switch tempo, then go underneath Holloway's leadhand with a lead leadhand uppercut to a step out to the outside angle to line the left straight down the pipe. Sweet Jesus !

You can blindly name drop all the MMA strikers you know, you wont be able to find me examples of them ever showcasing skill like that against anyone half as credible of a striker as a Holloway (and its just one of hundreds of examples from Conor through out his career)

Conor is also an educated body puncher who has a great clinch game, and clinch striking who flawlessly transitions between from and each like no other
3502a21.jpg

-After Conor jab feints to open up body punching combinations, Conor TIES Nate up and smoothers him. Conor has now KILLED off any possible offence from Nate

-After Conor ties Nate up and stiffles any possible return fire, Conor then breaks away on his terms. Conor then lands beautiful devestating punches on Nate on the breakaway

Conor's striking to grappling to striking to transitional skill/IQ IS impeccable too

Its those body punches from Conor which DRAINED Nate and allowed Conor to dominate most of the championship rounds

Also Conor's educated jab work (which he mixes up with his fienting systems and leadhand game.
GM_20161013_154118.gif

Look at how Conor is always changing up the speeds of his jabs, shooting his jab from different positions like down low (uprising jab), and always mixing up his jab with fients and lead hand probes. Now that is TRULY EDUCATED jab work by elite boxing standards. Conor has an actual elite jab game too. Conor is nearly impossible to ever read or time everything he's doing

It's a shame how under appreciated Conor truly is.

It's remarkable how genuinely special Conor is...he has the footwork of Lomachenko with the lead hand game and countering of Floyd, with the foot speed and left of Pacquioa

Conor is truly a Marvel to watch and study

Yet so many take him for granted and discredit something genuinely legendary in Conor's incredible next level skill sets

Conor is the greatest boxer, counter puncher, striker MMA history has ever seen at a championship level

It's not even debatable

Conor is truly the most wholey skilled, well rounded striker in MMA history. He is elite from all ranges and all positions with all weapons.

When it comes to the full embodiment of who most encompasses pure skill based striking and immaculate fight IQ, there is no one on Conor's level, and it isn't even close

Hating newbs like @The Blob @Mysterio @migeru29 can't appreciate Conor's greatness because they don't know anything about fighting

"The UNeducated eye can not comprehend the brilliance of Conor McGregor"

Thoughts gentleman
@MescalineDreams
@That209
@markg171
@Dbreiden83080

Emotions dictate thought. People are very emotional about Conor and refuse to admit he is a great fighter. He wins a fight and he got lucky. Or it was an easy style.. Eventually you have to give the devil his due..

Edson Is not a good fighter at all by comparison. His record shows that. People need to stop harping on this whole idea that a fatal flaw exists in the game of Conor. His record is amazing. He has not gotten to this position by accident. People need to wake the fuck up.
I have to agree. I can't stand conor and i love to pick on him and poke fun, but to deny that he has some serious skill is dumb. I think conor would Ko edson. Edson is a great test for many fighters but hes not a champ and lijely wont ever be.

Every time I read something like this I cringe. Half the threads in this forum are from Conor haters. Every fighter that's worth supporting has crap fans and good fans.

not like Conor my man, these guys are braindead. I've said it time and time again, Conor is a very good fighter, in the cage he is a top talent for sure. I don't care for his antics outside since it's really mainly nonsense like Chael used to spew, but his fanbase is definitely one of the worst in the history of the sport. They post nonstop cringe worthy shit and flood these forums with the same threads either hyping the same left hand or bashing his opponent and how Conor bless and all that nonsense. It really is among the worst fanbases here on Sherdog's history.

Mind you, I'm still part of the Lando Groove Train and Shogun LHW Champ 2019 and all that good stuff, but, there's a point where hope becomes delusion and Conor fanboys cross into that territory far too often.

Your technical analysis was a textbook example of the illusion of knowledge. You clearly have no actual understanding of striking or combat sports and you speak from the perspective of a fanboy who 'educated' himself off of youtube videos. Your "analysis" wasn't worthy of a drawn out counter argument because your lack of pugilistic knowledge is blatant to anyone who's actually trained or competed at even an amateur level. You're the kind of dude who watches DBZ and goes outside and tries to summon a spiritbomb.

*Edit Also just realized you're a huge troll lol nvm

LOL I think we all have done our fair share of Kamehamehas and transformations.

Newton, Jones, and Brimage are pretty big fans of DBZ too.

Anyone who doesn't want to summon the spirit bomb is a fkn loser.

Conor pulls out. Ferguson steps in. Ferguson eeks out a wired sd... Ferguson is a much easier matchup for Conor.

There it is folks
conor has never......and never will pull.
khabib has pulled how many times?

you're just trollin right? have to be

Khabib will have a very hard time not getting poked with Conors straight left. The way khabib followed Edson around the cage while Edson was backpedaling is very revealing. If follows and tries to pace with Conors evasive movement he is going to get timed and dropped.

The more I study both sides of the fight the easier it is to see Conor destroying khabib. Conor will end up making this fight look easy.
Its a toss up but I just cant get over how slow khabib is footwork wise and how hes not use to getting hit. If Conor does win I cant wait for all the Conor haters to be flipping saying khabib was a scrub, untested, overrated wrestler, no hands, never fought a longer boxer, natural welter conors ducking woodley/til.

I was all for Conor in the alverez fight and knew a shorter brawler was gonna get murked. Remembering people saying "he was gonna cage fuck Conor harder then pettis, tko against the cage, possibly late round sub" after he got floored hes a scrub and so ma y guys backpedladed.

Those are all good. Obviously, the first line of defense is to avoid the shot with angels and foot work. Limit kicks, threat to attack when the grappler shoots, and don't stand upright or rush in too aggressively with strikes and by avoiding the fence. Second line of defense is the sprawling and any of those other tactics outlined in the video. I haven't been keeping up this his channel, but if Khabib does get you down, you have to be able to get stave off being wiped out from the ground and pound and submission threat. I mean obviously the other stuff is very important, but if he does get you down, what do you do after that. I think that part is critical.

only dagestanis that fail at wrestling take up sambo

Except Khabib gassed out in the only 5 round fight he's ever had

Reality check: Conor has way better cardio then Khabib and dominated round 4 against a Diaz brother

Meanwhile Khabib gassed out in round 4 against a real estate agent
He sqeaked out a round while stalling against a guy who was equally as gassed as him. Not dominate

Failed logic but "PROlogic" lol. You can literally drop someone 5 times and not necessarily means that you dominated him better than another fighter who dropped him 0 times. The logic doesn't follow my friend.

LOL no Nate didn't landed "good" shots on RDA. Nothing close to the good shots that he landed on Conor's face.
They were literally 2 of the most lopsided losses in Nates career. Benson made him look like the least threatening fighter on the roster

Khabib always fails his first td attempt , But his chain wrestling is so good .

It's also just a shot to push you toward the fence whether you stuff it or not, then when you are against again he can shoot again without any fear of being stuffed and chain his TD attempts from there since his opponent is trapped.

Only because nobody seems to have seen Werdum vs Cain. Same clinch strategy(once they clinch against the fence) except was completely shut down via wrist control, Thai plum, and threatening your own non committal TDs here and there.

Conor's TDD is not even as good as Barboza's imo (statistically Edson's is higher as well, no surprise there)

Khabib will make this look easy.

People need to ignore statistics and stop using Barboza as some kind of barometer. In reality he sucks against wrestlers and pressure. I don't care what his statistics say, the eye test says he has struggled against every single wrestler he's fought except Melendez his first fight off roids.

Khabib will take down Conor at will unless he gets caught early. Conor won’t be able to handle the pressure Khabib brings

Back