Stuffed takedown should give you points on the scorecard imo.

It all depends. If you capitalize on it such as sprawling and landing strikes then yes. If you improve position then yes. If you maintain dominate position then yes. If you repeatedly defend the takedown and disrupt your opponents gameplan then yes because you're controlling where the fight goes. If you defend a single takedown or two and don't do anything with it then no.

So would defending a submission get you a point? It takes skill, or head movement avoiding a punch? Just curious where this goes...

Defend and damage, sure.

But just defending? That's like saying you get a point for slipping a jab alone.

unless you end up in top position no

stuffing a takedown is like blocking a punch it just keeps things how they were before

Too much stuff is going on if the judges are going to be writing all this shit down as they see it. They only got one minute in between rounds tally points scored by 2 fighters.

Silly idea.

Horrible idea. Have fun watching Woodley/Thompson fights forever if this gets implemented. Two fighters staring at each other, terrified of doing anything until they're 100% sure it'll succeed.

- Fighter styles - A takedown landed against Demian Maia should not be scored as heavily as one against Conor McGregor. Conversely, defending a Maia takedown is more valuable than defending a McGregor takedown.

So a fighter should be penalized more than another because of his style? This isn't how scoring should work not just in MMA but anywhere.

I think it counts as part of 'octagon control' if I recall correctly.

Nope that's defense.. it's easier to stay on defense you can't get points for that.

The one going forward, opening up, risking, aka the dude going for those TDs is the one that should get rewarded.

Defending a takedown is a hard skill, why shouldn't you get points for defending numerous takedowns?

Thoughts?

I would say No! Not even sure why one would think that. You don't get points for ducking or slipping a punch!
It certainly would help with the octagon control! But actually scoring points No!

Defending a takedown is a hard skill, why shouldn't you get points for defending numerous takedowns?

Thoughts?
Floyd wins fights based off of his ability to leave guys hanging in the wind. To act like they don't score defense, is a lie from these judges.

I agree, stuffed takedowns should score.

Thoughts?

1) This has been done a million times
2) It doesn't get any less stupid. In fact, it gets a little more each time

The reward for defending a takedown is not getting taken down

Should blocking a strike give you points on the scorecard too?

So why does controlling an opponent on the ground and taking him down score if defending does not? If it doesn't score neither should completing a TD or holding someone down

It depends. If you are sprawling and punching your opponent in the face, yes. If you just are backing/circling away and simply avoiding the opponent, then no.

This is an interesting discussion to have after Gian Villante stopped 15 takedowns or something against Patrick Cummins, but lost the decision. :)

I don't have a problem with the decision, but I think it says a lot if one fighter is so eager to get the fight down, even if he's landing more on the feet. He seems uncomfortable in the striking exchanges in the eyes of the judges. This is why Werdum lost to Overeem. In a case like Woodley against Shields, where nothing at all happens during the 15 minutes, a fighter should be rewarded for takedown defense.

It makes no sense to me that a fighter gets rewarded for trying to take the opponent down 20 times if it never works. People said that Shields was the aggressor in the fight, well it wasn't effective was it? I would say that Woodley won the grappling exchanges by keeping the fight standing. Not really a fan of the guy by the way, think he lost to Thompson and hope that Maia can surprise him on saturay!

So why does controlling an opponent on the ground and taking him down score if defending does not? If it doesn't score neither should completing a TD or holding someone down
Controlling a guy and taking him down imposes your will, since you both start from a neutral position and you are putting him somewhere against his resistance.

If the guy pulled guard you shouldn't score for ending up in top position because he wanted to be there. Now, if you GnP from there or advance position, you obviously score.

IMO if literally all that happened in a round was one guy stuffed another guy's takedowns the round should be scored 10-10.

Bad idea.
You don't want fighters thinking "Should I try to steal the round with another takedown?
Nah, I don't wanna risk him stuffing it and falling behind on points.
I might be able to coast and still win the round"

Scoring should be based on offense.
Defense is just about preventing the other guy from scoring on offense.
You shouldn't be able to win the fight by just defending.
Just like you don't get a point in hockey for stopping a goal...
(That's my opinion)

Last edited:
Back