Subnautica

Rational Poster

Actually the Best Poster
@plutonium
Reaction score
ss_0b7b4b91424271541dbae3b2d8124ac34bc44cab.1920x1080-01.jpg

How is there not a thread for this @Madmick ??

This is one of the best games of all time. The best single player survival game out there. It's also in VR as well.

Official launch of the 1.0 was 1/23 last week. I don't want to talk too much about it, the game is best experienced when you don't have a clue what's going on or what to do and learning it yourself at your own pace.

DIVE IN AND BUY THIS GAME!

It's a lot like Astroneer, good but I can play it for 4 hours see all the content in the game and not get the urge to touch it again for a year.

It's a lot of fun and a huge time sink. Which is why I haven't play too much of it.

They really need to make it multiplayer co-op like Ark.

It's definitely ambitious.

It's a lot of fun and a huge time sink. Which is why I haven't play too much of it.

They really need to make it multiplayer co-op like Ark.

It's definitely ambitious.

Devs have made it pretty clear there will be no MP in Subnautica, but perhaps some new biomes to explore.

There are some fans working on an MP mod though.

They seem to indicate that they want to make more games in this setting and that those games will be built around MP.

All I know is that I was swimming around the spaceship wreck, with nothing but flat sand below me. I heard a deep moan, looked behind me and saw a giant leviathan squid, and it saw me. I have not been that scared in a videogame in probably a decade. Just a sea animal, and it scared me on an hp lovecraft, deep level. Fuck.

All I know is that I was swimming around the spaceship wreck, with nothing but flat sand below me. I heard a deep moan, looked behind me and saw a giant leviathan squid, and it saw me. I have not been that scared in a videogame in probably a decade. Just a sea animal, and it scared me on an hp lovecraft, deep level. Fuck.

You just got it?

I liked the game, but I felt it took too long to complete for the amount of content there is in it. The late game is not so challenging and feels like a bit of a grind, even though you should be having fun exploring and discovering stuff.

It's pretty fun. One of the rare sandbox survival games that is worth playing.

It's a lot like Astroneer, good but I can play it for 4 hours see all the content in the game and not get the urge to touch it again for a year.

4 hours? I find your time awareness abilities dubious.

As for the game, its only released in Janurary but we have a clear game of the year contender. It's fantastic. IMO, by far the best survival game. One of the rare games that you should play without hearing or seeing anything about it. It's story is sparse but effective and quite a few surprises are in store.

I just wish I could create a bigger goddamn backpack.

I'm thinking about getting this to scratch the itch that No Mans Sky disappointment left me with. It's a good price too.

How's the inventory system? Looks like No Man's Sky underwater. More story and better inventory management? Or just aimless exploration, building a better sea vessel and constantly gathering resources ad nauseam?

How's the inventory system? Looks like No Man's Sky underwater. More story and better inventory management? Or just aimless exploration, building a better sea vessel and constantly gathering resources ad nauseam?

There is an ending.

You want more space for your inventory but I suppose that's pretty normal. It's pretty easy to sort and your items get auto sorted when you pick em up. Pretty nice.

It creates a world where you want to explore it, and then rewards you for doing so. Like any of these games there are patches of wondering around looking for that specific item, but like I said earlier this is a game of the year contender. It's something you should go into without knowing about what you'll find. My jaw has dropped several times playing. Both in shock as well as wonder.

You want more space for your inventory but I suppose that's pretty normal. It's pretty easy to sort and your items get auto sorted when you pick em up. Pretty nice.

It creates a world where you want to explore it, and then rewards you for doing so. Like any of these games there are patches of wondering around looking for that specific item, but like I said earlier this is a game of the year contender. It's something you should go into without knowing about what you'll find. My jaw has dropped several times playing. Both in shock as well as wonder.

Just the info I was looking for. Thanks, will try it out (cheap game as well).

I downloaded it from Steam but only played 5 minutes of it. It looks like another No Man's Sky

I downloaded it from Steam but only played 5 minutes of it. It looks like another No Man's Sky

Maybe try playing 7 minutes of it? Youd probably beat the game by then, though.

Maybe try playing 7 minutes of it? Youd probably beat the game by then, though.
You aren't pulling my leg are you? I always wonder why the game was only $20 despite it looking very very open world

looks snazzy enough, but that leviathon moves way too fast for my likings hah i might snag it though

You aren't pulling my leg are you? I always wonder why the game was only $20 despite it looking very very open world

I thought it was obvious I'm busting your balls.

My experience with no mans sky is extremely limited so I can't make direct comparisons. But from what I gather it seems like some of the bigger criticisms were that isn't very compelling and the randomization creates lots of "things" but they aren't very interesting. Combined with the lack of any compelling narrative and you have no hook to draw the player in. Randomization can create all sorts of different things, but that doesn't name them interesting.

Subnautica, imo, not only suffers from none of these problems but excels at subverting every one of them. Aspects of the world are random, such as loot and materials, but the world itself is painstakingly created and therein lies a huge difference. It's endlessly interesting because it's a living, breathing world that you can explore and, somewhat ironically, the lack of randomization makes it feel more alien because it there's always a certain sense behind everything. Things are happening for a reason just like in any environment. The animals behave certain ways for certain reasons, things grow in certain places for a reason, etc. Thats why randomness doesn't create anything interesting.

As for the narrative, there's less of a story so much as you piecing together things that happened in your absence. But as it goes on it adds layers into the world youre in and slowly peeling them away is your story. I just had something happen that could have been a scripted event, but it was purely emergent gameplay and I practically shat my pants. It'll likely be a gaming moment I'll remember forever.

Anyway, I've sung enough praises. There's more than enough here to separate Subnautica from the pack of gathering/survival games and it's a game that should be played knowing as little as possible.

Last edited:
Bought it and played for about 2 hours tonight. First hour was amazing. 2nd hour I'm getting frustrated at the limited inventory. I hope I can expand. It was rewarding to already upgrade my oxygen tank and add fins.

Back