SUMO - 2018 Aki Basho (Sept. 9th - Sept. 23rd)

Kise is displaying some impressive heart and determination, how much longer can he keep it up though?

Kise is displaying some impressive heart and determination, how much longer can he keep it up though?

I'd say I don't think he'll keep his undefeated streak for much longer, but I've thought that ever day since day 1, and here we are.

Day 5:
Hakuho has a fun match and recovered well
Kisenosato looks to not be quite back to full strength/form but still has enough skill to stay in it. Really rooting for him to do well so he doesn’t retire(that would be a real shame)
Kakuryu looking solid
Mitakeumi looks to be making a name for himself with a big win over tochinoshin.
Yoshikaze doing surprisingly well

Shaping up to be a great basho

great recovery from hakuho. takakeisho saw the opening and got too aggressive.

sucks that tochinoshin dropped another one, but i don't think it's too awful to be losing to a heated up mitakeumi.

I haven't watched day 6 yet. Kisenosato is going to give me a great attack. I think he's getting by purely on skill.

I'd also like to comment that, even in defeat, Kotoshogiku seems to be moving the best I've seen in quite a while.

It's been a great basho so far. So much better than the last one. All the top dogs seem to be back in good form, a few bloody battles, some big throws/falls, and the last Mitakuemi is looking to prove he's no fluke in his ozeki bid. Only thing that's been disappointing to me is Ichinojo and Shohozan having another lousy showing after the last couple of tournaments. Ichi looked hungry and motivated that first day or two but has just showed no movement, not even forward.

Tough break for Shodai, against Hakuho. I couldn't see his heel touch the outside.

Not looking good for Kisenosato, not sure how he can get through week 2 without picking up a few losses with the way he has been going

Day 7
Mitakeumi vs takakeishou
Brutal slapping from Taka (as usual) and mitakeumi pull it back for a great win. This bout was fireworks

Just as I was starting to worry for Kisenosato he comes back with that!
Beating Tochinoshin on the mawashi as well.

Obviously Tochinoshin is far from peak condition as well but Kisenosato looked a lot better there, was actually able to drive forward. Great bout as well. Hopefully both guys can get the results they need for the rest of the week

yeah, some really nice sumo from kisenosato there. he looked quite strong there.

on the other hand, tochinoshin's back is up against the wall and he's in a pretty tough position as a kadoban ozeki.

on the other hand, tochinoshin's back is up against the wall and he's in a pretty tough position as a kadoban ozeki.

I can't tell if he isn't up to full strength, or he's just hell bent on winning in a particular way. It drives me insane how he panics if he can't get his favorite grip. I love dad-bod-fat-six-pack-man, so I'm really hoping he gets his shit together and stays at Ozeki.

Hakuho is on a tear right now. Goddamn. Steamrolling dudes, getting crafty, using all kinds of various techniques. This is peak sumo.

Kisenosato looking like a beast, for a change.
kakuryu as well. he's been having a fantastic tournament. his counter drive against mitakeumi from one edge of the dohyo to the other was a great display of power.

great to see kisenosato get his 8 wins too.

My girl friend is furious with Hakuho right now over that shove on Ichi. She thinks he's her son.

Back