SUMO - 2018 Aki Basho (Sept. 9th - Sept. 23rd)

I wonder what the benchmark for Kisenosato to remain is, almost certainly he needs double digit wins but will 10 be fine? I'm thinking probably 11 is the minimum but it's hard telling.

Great stuff today from Tochinoshin, starting to think it's not so much injuries (which obviously he does have) but him being in his own head that has affected his performance so much this basho.

I wonder what the benchmark for Kisenosato to remain is, almost certainly he needs double digit wins but will 10 be fine? I'm thinking probably 11 is the minimum but it's hard telling.

Great stuff today from Tochinoshin, starting to think it's not so much injuries (which obviously he does have) but him being in his own head that has affected his performance so much this basho.

yeah, i don't remember if kisenosato ever said specifically how many wins he was targeting in his return. i would say 10 wins is fine, but no idea what the people whose opinions actually matter think. i'm sure a lot of it has to do with the quality of his sumo, and while he has been impressive at times during the tournament, this last match against ichinojo was really, really poor.

tochinoshin's power sumo vs. in-form kakuryu was amazing. baruto would do those tsuridashi quite a bit, but i don't think he had that many double-outside grip tsuridashi. and for him, being much taller than his opponents, i imagine generating that kind of power in that position would have been easier than for tochinoshin to do the same to someone much closer to his size.

takayasu's nerves really got the better of him against hakuho too. after the two matta, his tachiai was completely out of sync and way too late.

Looks like that shove by Hakuho got through to Ichinojo. I don't think I've ever seen him lose a tsuppari battle, but he rarely ever uses it. Maybe embracing it will get him to ozeki, if not yokozuna.

Day 12 comments:
Buh. I was hoping Tochinoshin would take down Hakuho to give my boy Takayasu a chance to catch up. Kakuryu and Goeido are, by the simple fact they both can't win, going to thin down the chaser group even more. It's feeling like another one in the books for ol' invincible Hakuho.

good comeback for kisenosato on day 12 after an awful match against ichinojo on day 11. like in quite a few of his matches in this tournament he dealt with being put in a bad position pretty well and showed some good strength.

here's day 13:

Tochinoshin is going to give me a stroke. A couple tournaments ago lots of wrestlers were denying him his usual grips, and he had an outstanding tournament regardless using lots of different techniques. I wonder if he's hurt and that's why he's going for his strongest grip with reckless abandon. I'm not too hyped for his last two match ups. Abi is a force for chaos, and either shines brightly or fails immediately. Takayasu on the other hand is looking stronk this tournament. I don't want to see Tochinoshin demoted 1 victory shy when he just got the dang rank.

Meanwhile I'm hoping Goeido employs some shenanigans or something to serve up a loss to Hakuho to keep the excitement going.

Going by this then Kisenosato should be safe if he can beat Kakuryu, gets his 10 wins and shows he can still compete with the other Yokozuna

Also Orora retired on a win today.
DnnToXlUYAk77AZ.jpg

Anyone get the feeling that maybe Kakuryuu
let him win, maybe due to the pressure to retire if he didn’t get at least 10
?

?
Nah, Kakuryu has just looked off this week. Idk if he's injured or what but he has had a meltdown

?
After seeing it, I think it's a real possibility.
He looked so dominant at times, then just let off the gas and let Kisenosato back in, then losing at the end so suddenly. It was a weird match and that really is a perfect explanation for it. Not like he had anything to lose since his record is good and this is Hakuho's yusho.

?

Match fixing!? Special treatment for the first japanese yokozuna!? Such crazy talk!

But yeah I think the same thing.

Nah, Kakuryu has just looked off this week. Idk if he's injured or what but he has had a meltdown
yeah, i think kakuryu just fell apart in the second week, although his final day match against hakuho was actually pretty good even as a loss.

good tournament for hakuho and kisenosato.

good to see tochinoshin avoid losing ozeki too.

Back