SUMO - 2018 Kyushu Basho (Nov. 11th - Nov. 25th)

kisenosato out of the tournament:

not a surprise, and it seems like he's not talking about retirement or anything.

Too bad. For a lone Yokozuna, this doesn't leave him with any face.

"I am very frustlated."

Too much exposure to nihongo turns one's 'R's into 'L's. :p

been doing a ridiculous amount of traveling and couldn't update the thread, but finally i'm back in the US.

here's day 10:

great day 10 match between shohozan and chiyonokuni.

day 11 kintamayama:

don't think i've ever seen a big chunk of the dohyo break off like it did in the match between ichinojo and takayasu.

My sumo experience is admittedly limited, but Shohozan vs Chiyonokuni is one of the best matches I've seen.

day 14:

really looking forward to takakeisho vs. takayasu.

Fork do you write for western publications? You need to get paid for this.

Fork do you write for western publications? You need to get paid for this.
hahaha, i wish. it's all just a labor of love.

can't believe takakeisho let that win slip through his fingers. good job by takayasu to deflect him with the spin, but the yusho was right there to be taken.

fingers crossed for a playoff tomorrow, i feel like it's been a while and i can't even remember the last one.

hahaha, i wish. it's all just a labor of love.

can't believe takakeisho let that win slip through his fingers. good job by takayasu to deflect him with the spin, but the yusho was right there to be taken.

fingers crossed for a playoff tomorrow, i feel like it's been a while and i can't even remember the last one.

Nice spinning shit right there by Takayasu.

too bad for him though, kinda wished for another face-off...

Just finished, Takakeisho had a scare there for a second, thought he was about to eat dirt. Great bout to close the basho between Mitakeumi (shame he didn't show up like that the rest of the week) and Takayasu

a little late, but for anyone that missed it, the second half of the final day broadcast with English commentary:

really miss the full days of English commentary, and great to get at least part of it for the final day.

fantastic tournament for takakeisho. looked really unsteady in his last match, but was able to compose himself and get the much needed win.

tough luck for takayasu too though. i thought he fought back from a really awkward position really well, but then got overaggressive at the end.

bizarre match between tochinoshin and shohozan too.

ultimately, a great tournament with plenty of intrigue up to the very end.

Back