• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

SUMO - 2024 Natsu Basho (May 12th - May 26th)

Ura really went 6 - 0 then dropped 8 in a row. That magic was used up fast. I though the way he fell today was gonna be a big head injury

says a lot that the last two yusho were won by guys that weren't even here a year ago. the current crop of ozeki, and veterans too, looks to be overrun by new talent.

a small critique must be noted though - it is a yusho won without a yokozuna and two of the ozeki. that said, congrats to Onosato. he will surely be ozeki in January, and from there on, it's a matter of time.

says a lot that the last two yusho were won by guys that weren't even here a year ago.

I was gonna say this.

Onosato wasn't too far off in Jan or March either, and Atamifuji nearly won in September (i think) from M15. The guys at the top should be taking a serious look at themselves, because like i said with Shodai years ago, i think some guys are happy with the pay they get for being a certain rank, and aren't willing to actively push themselves improve and reach for greatness.

Congrats to big Ono. The first of many.

A win is a win, congrats Onosato

Not just that Onosato won, but he shut Abi down before pushing him out. Almost no difficulty.
Also picked up the Gino-sho and Shukun-Sho.

The shots of who I assume is his father in the crowd was very touching. He's so so happy.

says a lot that the last two yusho were won by guys that weren't even here a year ago. the current crop of ozeki, and veterans too, looks to be overrun by new talent.

a small critique must be noted though - it is a yusho won without a yokozuna and two of the ozeki. that said, congrats to Onosato. he will surely be ozeki in January, and from there on, it's a matter of time.

I agree that the Yokozuna needs to be there but it is worth pointing out that Onosato did beat Teru on day 1. He also beat Kirishima and Kotozakura while losing to Hoshoryu.

I agree that the Yokozuna needs to be there but it is worth pointing out that Onosato did beat Teru on day 1. He also beat Kirishima and Kotozakura while losing to Hoshoryu.
damn, you're right about day 1. felt like so long ago i forgot about it.

The ozeki that never gets 13 wins is basically still a sekiwake.
They gotta put Terunofuji in a bionic body until Onosato can prove his worth.

It wasn't that long ago that Asanoyama was supposed to be the guy. He can't put it together or doesn't want to.
Hakuoho pulling out isn't great. He should stay out until he's healed properly.

They gotta put Terunofuji in a bionic body until Onosato can prove his worth.

It wasn't that long ago that Asanoyama was supposed to be the guy. He can't put it together or doesn't want to.
Hakuoho pulling out isn't great. He should stay out until he's healed properly.

I think Terunofuji is done. He couldn't even practise leading up to this basho.

I think Terunofuji is done. He couldn't even practise leading up to this basho.

Chris Sumo was saying he intends to compete in July but I think he should just chill. They don't want him in and out of Basho so stay home. Show up once a year and get a 13 -2 Yusho and make everyone else cry

Fun Basho.

Lots of thoughts but I’ll just say I’m happy that my boy Daieisho hit 11 wins

I can't believe how easily Onosato beat Abi. Not surprised at all that he won, but it looked like he barely pushed him twice and Abi was already out of the dohyo. Onosato must be crazy strong.

So if I understand correctly Onosato will be sekiwake in July and if results continue he could be ozeki as early as January.

I don't put much stock in Onosato beating Teru on day 1 since Teru was obviously still injured and shouldn't have been out there. I don't believe Onosato injured Teru so he either should have stayed in for day 2 or not entered in the first place.

I'm not bothered too much by the crackdown on illegal streams since I just watch the free NHK highlights which conveniently have English commentary. The only thing is that the delay puts me a day behind which makes it hard to participate in this thread. I'm not really sure what NHK gains by going after the streamers since the official highlights are free and don't have ads.

Usually in the Eastern time zone the NHK highlights are available by 11pm at the latest which is not quite a full 24-hour delay. I'm curious how short they'd have to make the delay to get the rest of you to watch them.

Last edited:
I can't believe how easily Onosato beat Abi. Not surprised at all that he won, but it looked like he barely pushed him twice and Abi was already out of the dohyo. Onosato must be crazy strong.

So if I understand correctly Onosato will be sekiwake in July and if results continue he could be ozeki as early as January.

I don't put much stock in Onosato beating Teru on day 1 since Teru was obviously still injured and shouldn't have been out there. I don't believe Onosato injured Teru so he either should have stayed in for day 2 or not entered in the first place.

I'm not bothered too much by the crackdown on illegal streams since I just watch the free NHK highlights which conveniently have English commentary. The only thing is that the delay puts me a day behind which makes it hard to participate in this thread. I'm not really sure what NHK gains by going after the streamers since the official highlights are free and don't have ads.

Usually in the Eastern time zone the NHK highlights are available by 11pm at the latest which is not quite a full 24-hour delay. I'm curious how short they'd have to make the delay to get the rest of you to watch them.
The NHK replays suck though you get no anticipation. It’s like you just watch the match only with no character from the rikishi.

Once again, Nattos telegram has all the matches with no fear of being taken down

Back