Sunday project - tanning a deer hide

Dinamita09

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Hey guys, do any of you have experience tanning a deer hide?

Friday a little 4 point buck was hit around the corner from my place. My friend and I went out to see it and it was still alive down in the ditch. We slit its throat and brought it back to my shop where we proceeded to harvest the meat and threw a backstrap on the BBQ. I now have the hide at my place. My buddy got a coming down today and we are going to finish removing the meat and fleshing the hide. The goal is to have a nice deer rug to go in the animal themed room for my upcoming baby.

I've been watching videos and reading articles and feel I have a pretty good handle on the process but would like to hear from any with experience.
I tried to upload a photo but it says the image is too large for the server, so if you could tell me how to get the photos from my phone to the thread I'd appreciate that too

Attachments

• IMG_1554.JPG
    IMG_1554.JPG
    736.5 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_1555.JPG
    IMG_1555.JPG
    804.4 KB · Views: 23
I've helped tan a deer hide before, but never done it on my own. The guy I was helping used a pressure washer to flesh the hide, it made that process go very quickly and easily, that's really the only tip I can offer in the way of short cuts.

Good job ending the animals suffering...post up a photo of the hide during and after the process, it would intersting...

Look up “brain tanning” methods. It’s more difficult than it seems. If you can find a green tree limber enough to use as a stretcher, do it, pvc and wood also works fine if you have them.

If the deer could talk...

Deer: "Oh, Dinamita09, thank god you came. Listen some asshole bumped me with his car and I sprained my ankle! I think icing it and a couple days rest, I should be fine."

@Dinamita09: ...

Deer: "What...what's the knife for?"

Good job ending the animals suffering...post up a photo of the hide during and after the process, it would intersting...
I can't upload the photo from my phone as the file is too large so I'm not sure how to post them

I can't upload the photo from my phone as the file is too large so I'm not sure how to post them

I understand, NP, for some of us city slickers I just thought the process would be cool to see...

I understand, NP, for some of us city slickers I just thought the process would be cool to see...
I really wanted to post the photos, I'm disappointed I'm not computer savvy enough to figure it out lol

I really wanted to post the photos, I'm disappointed I'm not computer savvy enough to figure it out lol
Go to the app store(or google play), download a photo compressing app, boom, you’re in business

Not a tanning, but had to share this.

Also, use an image hosting site.

Go to the app store(or google play), download a photo compressing app, boom, you’re in business
Thanks I appreciate the info, I'll update at the end of the day when I get the meat off and all the fleshing done. I added photos of the hide after skinning to the op

Make sure to get rid of ALL the meat from the hide. Then you should just look up a method on google. There are many ways you can do it.

Why, if you've got the space and utilities for it indoors?

You want to draw in coyotes?
If you have dedicated space, but it just seemed like a finished part of the garage. Thinking of the smell mostly, but then again this guy doesn't mess around!

Hey guys a quick update. The hide is coming along, I don't have a photo update on the hide just yet. Also took the head, skinned it down and boiled it. It now just needs to be cleaned up and it will be all done. I attached the photos of the head pre and post boiling and will update it when it's cleaned up and finished.

Attachments

• IMG_1560.JPG
    IMG_1560.JPG
    323.8 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_1561.JPG
    IMG_1561.JPG
    1,009.3 KB · Views: 4
Back