support for immigration reaches record high in America

I welcome skilled immigrants that will contribute to the host society. In fact, I think skilled labour should be the first priority for immigration queue, ahead of family and wealthy investors. What I am absolutely against is illegal aliens coming into the country or "refugees" that seek the best welfare system. You claim to want to start a new life, but the first act is to spit in the face of a host nation's border laws. That's extremely disrespectful and makes you undeserving to be here.

That's great! I've been for immigration my whole life too! I'm glad people are now okay with people putting in the effort and immigrating legally :D

This is a nation of immigrants so it makes sense

Not sure why people think immigration is bad.
Not sure why people don't see the difference between illegal-immigration and legal-immigration either
A lot of the left are blurring the lines on purpose

Maybe not in the numbers you'd see in a larger city, but they're around in many rural areas or within 30 miles of a large city center.

I don't care for lazy folks either . . .

You took my post as whining about some unfair competition?
I didn't take your post as whining about unfair competition, it's a general statement about people I see and hear from on a daily basis, mostly my own relatives. Lazy pieces of shit that complain that "there are no jobs and damn immigrants" when they are on probation, have two or more DUIs, the town has been on government life support since the 70's and they have nothing more than a high school diploma or GED....... but it's the immigrants' fault they don't have a job.

This is a nation of immigrants so it makes sense

While I get the gist of what you're saying . . . why should the fact that our nation was settled over 200 years ago by immigrants play any role in our existing immigration laws?

What does "being a Nation of immigrants" actually mean to you?

Does that mean we should revert back to the open borders from the 1700s?

Does this idea remove any credence to the opinions of those of us who had family displaced by those immigrants way back when?

While I get the gist of what you're saying . . . why should the fact that our nation was settled over 200 years ago by immigrants play any role in our existing immigration laws?

Does this idea remove any credence to the opinions of those of us who had family displaced by those immigrants way back when?
We're a nation of LEGAL immigrants. He doesn't know the difference.

I think the majority of people support immigration in some form.

The problem is that suddenly liberals are supporting ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION.

The notion that Trump is running an "anti immigration" campaign is nonsense. He's just for people entering and living in the country legally. That was something EVERYONE agreed with not too long ago, it's amazing it's become a partisan issue.

And he's trying to reform immigration to a merit-based system, like we have here in Canada. Because yes, when you're importing highly skilled/educated people into your country, you win.

I agree that it shouldn't just be a free for all open border, but I also think that there should be some level of accountability for first off the horeshit the US has pulled that put the home countries in the state they are in, I also think it's very disingenuous to blame Mexico or any other country for the illegal drug trade when it's people in this country that are the buyers, for any other situation like this it's a matter of supply and demand, but we are supposed to act like Spanish speakers are holding people down and making them do the drugs. I was reading one thing that stated that of those seeking asylum that were released into the country until their court date roughly 90% kept in touch with ICE and showed up for their hearings, so if that's true or even close to being true this situation as it's being presented is a red herring.

I see it as a matter of myself being second generation, family immigrated here from the Ukraine during Stalin's time where he starved out and killed over 7 million people (although one person on here dismissed it as a accident, so apparently as long as you say "ooops, my bad" you can kill off as many people as you want) so I have sympathy for what many of these people are going through. I understand my view is going to be vastly different than the other person that responded to me about being multi-generation American, but I also don't agree with the current policy where the US bitches about human rights and abuses going on in some of these countries as far as violence, corruption and other issues but when it comes to people seeking asylum then suddenly all those problems aren't that bad and the asylum is dismissed.

I think the majority of people support immigration in some form.

The problem is that suddenly liberals are supporting ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION.

The notion that Trump is running an "anti immigration" campaign is nonsense. He's just for people entering and living in the country legally. That was something EVERYONE agreed with not too long ago, it's amazing it's become a partisan issue.

And he's trying to reform immigration to a merit-based system, like we have here in Canada. Because yes, when you're importing highly skilled/educated people into your country, you win.
The problem is that some of what Trump is saying is just flat out false. His "chain migration" claims aren't the "well I'm the 13th removed cousin of Jose over there, so let me in", also the "lottery system" isn't as simple as going to a convenience store and buying a lottery ticket, less than 10% for the people that apply to be in the lottery system are actually put into the lottery system due to qualification, of that number very few are given a visa, it isn't the free for all he has made it appear to be. Also when you don't have adequate resources to address your immigration system and people coming in are being turned away an being told to "come back another day" for months on ends the people are not going to stay in that holding pattern indefinitely, they are also not going to make the trek back to their native country since they've pretty much already burned through their cash and resources. As far as the skilled labor, for the most part you are right except a majority of these people come and fill jobs that are needed that aren't skilled, agriculture/tomato picking and manual labor jobs. There is a place for a good number of these people too.

Most of the people that are here illegally come by boat and plane, the border crossings are not the majority. Also a majority of the illegals here came on a temporary work, student or tourist visa; again a sign that our immigration resources are woefully inadequate. So yes, they need more money put into immigration, but they need to put it into the right programs and areas, pumping over 20 billion into a land border that isn't the main source of the problem is not the answer from my view.

I agree that it shouldn't just be a free for all open border, but I also think that there should be some level of accountability for first off the horeshit the US has pulled that put the home countries in the state they are in, I also think it's very disingenuous to blame Mexico or any other country for the illegal drug trade when it's people in this country that are the buyers, for any other situation like this it's a matter of supply and demand, but we are supposed to act like Spanish speakers are holding people down and making them do the drugs. I was reading one thing that stated that of those seeking asylum that were released into the country until their court date roughly 90% kept in touch with ICE and showed up for their hearings, so if that's true or even close to being true this situation as it's being presented is a red herring.

I don't doubt that drug users in the US are partially to blame for the illegal drug trade. How the cartels handle the management or other aspects of the trade are pretty much the fault of the folks in the cartels though. Users are pushing them to become so violent.

Addicts can't blame anyone but themselves.

I see it as a matter of myself being second generation, family immigrated here from the Ukraine during Stalin's time where he starved out and killed over 7 million people (although one person on here dismissed it as a accident, so apparently as long as you say "ooops, my bad" you can kill off as many people as you want) so I have sympathy for what many of these people are going through. I understand my view is going to be vastly different than the other person that responded to me about being multi-generation American, but I also don't agree with the current policy where the US bitches about human rights and abuses going on in some of these countries as far as violence, corruption and other issues but when it comes to people seeking asylum then suddenly all those problems aren't that bad and the asylum is dismissed.

Are folks who seek asylum for the right reasons and go about it the right way seriously being ostracized or mistreated?

How many of these families following the right route are truly being separated?

My mom's side is Cherokee . . . I had ancestors who were displaced and forced to migrate West to Indian Territory on the Trail of Tears. I had ancestors who were put in schools to teach the indian out of them . . . many of us are very familiar (or have at least heard first hand accounts) with mistreatment of folks.

Are folks who seek asylum for the right reasons and go about it the right way seriously being ostracized or mistreated?

How many of these families following the right route are truly being separated?

My mom's side is Cherokee . . . I had ancestors who were displaced and forced to migrate West to Indian Territory on the Trail of Tears. I had ancestors who were put in schools to teach the indian out of them . . . many of us are very familiar (or have at least heard first hand accounts) with mistreatment of folks.
All I can say is read up on it and you'll see, as I always say to just about anyone about things, don't trust me if it's something you are seriously curious about look it up. I can just say that I've read a few things that tell about the hypocrisy of the immigration policy, people coming in and applying for asylum being arrested on the spot is a fairly common thing right now. The policy that currently by Sessions that abuse and threats are not asylum qualifying circumstances is pretty shitty. The US is an imperfect place, but in spirit it comes as close to perfection as possible and that's what I don't understand how people want to "Make America Great Again", when what they really mean is "make America White again". Why not just keep aspiring to be as great as we can and an inspiration to the world?

As for your heritage, I am truly sorry for that, that's one of the biggest blights on our society what was done to so many of the native tribes, especially the Cherokee there was no reasonable need for that to have happened. Treatment of the native tribes and the slavery/post civil war segregation and jim crow era policies towards black people are probably the two greatest shames of this country. Sadly actions that are either swept under the rug or shrugged off by too many. I'd say you'd be one of the few that without any hypocrisy can say no to immigration, the only exception in this case is that the people coming from central and south America have more ancestral claim to the lands than the white people there now.

All I can say is read up on it and you'll see, as I always say to just about anyone about things, don't trust me if it's something you are seriously curious about look it up. I can just say that I've read a few things that tell about the hypocrisy of the immigration policy, people coming in and applying for asylum being arrested on the spot is a fairly common thing right now. The policy that currently by Sessions that abuse and threats are not asylum qualifying circumstances is pretty shitty. The US is an imperfect place, but in spirit it comes as close to perfection as possible and that's what I don't understand how people want to "Make America Great Again", when what they really mean is "make America White again". Why not just keep aspiring to be as great as we can and an inspiration to the world?

I can see how folks go from "Make America Great Again" to "Make America White Again", but I disagree with that stance . . . at least I don't hold that stance.

I would much prefer we "Make America Great Again" by shifting our focus to the issues we have at home and stop tearing down other nations and spending billions to build them back up . . .

As for your heritage, I am truly sorry for that, that's one of the biggest blights on our society what was done to so many of the native tribes, especially the Cherokee there was no reasonable need for that to have happened. Treatment of the native tribes and the slavery/post civil war segregation and jim crow era policies towards black people are probably the two greatest shames of this country.

Thanks man . . .

I can see how folks go from "Make America Great Again" to "Make America White Again", but I disagree with that stance . . . at least I don't hold that stance.

I would much prefer we "Make America Great Again" by shifting our focus to the issues we have at home and stop tearing down other nations and spending billions to build them back up . . .

Thanks man . . .
I get and agree with ending the foreign adventurism, sadly it seemed to get worse after 9/11 to the point that it had to stop. I'm not saying I think Clinton was the answer, also I think Trump had potential to do great things despite the fact I personally don't like the guy, he screwed over a company I worked for a few years back where they short paid us because "you did the job faster than scheduled, it didn't cost you as much so we shouldn't pay you as much" we ended up in litigation that was dragged out the point that we ended up settling because point blank he was able to withstand the war of attrition better than our company. He cost me personally about $12,000 in commision off that one so yes, I will completely admit that I have a bias against the guy. I will say Trump is a great salesman, if he had just brought in the "best" like he said he would have just gone in with a few general goals and let them deal with the minutia and kept his role to just being the salesman and chief I think he could have done great things and actually been successful. Reagan was pretty did that, while I didn't agree with all of Reagan's policies I have to admit he was pretty successful, now some of that was luck and sweeping a lot of stuff under the rug, but at the time and to a great extent to this day his administration was considered a success.

Where are you getting this idea from?

https://www.macleans.ca/news/canada/nothing-to-write-home-about/

Tilting the system toward family reunification and away from skilled workers diminished the economic benefits that had traditionally come with immigration. But it maximized the political benefits to Trudeau. This endeared many existing immigrant communities to the Liberals and encouraged wide swaths of new Canadians to vote for Trudeau when the time came

I'm just saying it makes sense that a nation of immigrants would support immigration.

Back