Supreme Court Will Decide If Civil Forfeiture Is Unconstitutional, Violates The Eighth Amendment

Any power that Govt.(law enforcement) takes is nearly impossible get back, Constitution or not.

Did you hit your head or something? I can't believe I just read this from you.

I will believe it when I see it. Civil forfeiture is one of the worst thing the Govt. does.

War is worse, but I share your sympathy with how destructive it is to our liberties.

Unless this ruling goes the way we all seem to want it to go, watch for CAF to explode in the event the drug war actually winds down.

Police departments and federal law enforcement agencies rely too heavily on civil forfeiture. I really don't see the SC changing this as the unions for these people will be in their ears giving them doomsday scenarios for when they can no longer steal people's money.

I read several articles on policing for profit, disgusting abuse of power. They would seize hundreds of thousand dollars worth of property without a conviction

Lefties are the biggest civil libertarians, which side is for continuing the war on drugs?
Neocons... that's about it, whom aren't anything more than figure heads waiting to waste away now. Amazing that you're such a proponent of civil rights, but don't seem to respect the most fundamental one though?

I read several articles on policing for profit, disgusting abuse of power. They would seize hundreds of thousand dollars worth of property without a conviction

Without even articulating a crime... Then its up to you to show the burden of proof you weren't using the funds in the commission of a crime.

Police departments and federal law enforcement agencies rely too heavily on civil forfeiture. I really don't see the SC changing this as the unions for these people will be in their ears giving them doomsday scenarios for when they can no longer steal people's money.
They are stealing people’s shit who have never been convicted. Innocent and free people. I can’t believe this is allowed to happen, but it is. Most fucked up unamerican thing ever.
Or even charged in some cases.

While I'm excited to see SCOTUS tackle civil forfeiture, this case appears to be about taking "too much" from someone who's received due process. Where's the case where someone has their shit confiscated with no due process and is required to prove their innocence in order to reclaim their property?

While I'm excited to see SCOTUS tackle civil forfeiture, this case appears to be about taking "too much" from someone who's received due process. Where's the case where someone has their shit confiscated with no due process and is required to prove their innocence in order to reclaim their property?
There is a chance the SC kills two birds with one stone. Could go any which way for better or worse.

There is a chance the SC kills two birds with one stone. Could go any which way for better or worse.

That'd be great, but my understanding is they generally don't rule outside the scope of the case before them. Hope I'm wrong on that.

That'd be great, but my understanding is they generally don't rule outside the scope of the case before them. Hope I'm wrong on that.
My hope is they indirectly shut down that type of forfeiture but you're probably right. Will have to wait a few more decades before we get that ruling.

The first time I heard of civil forfeiture being abused, I had to Google it because it didn't seem real. I can't imagine having your shit stolen without any type of related conviction.

I’d never heard of it until reading it here a few years ago and it seemed too insane to be anything other than a fringe case. Crazy.

Obama stopped some parts of it, then the Trump admin reinstated it, think about that Trumtards.

Obama stopped some parts of it, then the Trump admin reinstated it, think about that Trumtards.

This may be one of the few things I liked about Obama after they sent him into the Star-chamber before starting his presidency.

I'm glad to see it. It's a pain in the ass to deal with, especially chain of title. No insurer will underwrite a policy with a DA seizure in its history because they don't know if it's defensible. That's my personal gripe.

Legally I can't see how it's constitutional to seize the asset before a conviction and when the asset is owned by someone other than the alleged criminal perpetrator. It's still property and the 4th and the 8th should still be in play.

Neocons... that's about it, whom aren't anything more than figure heads waiting to waste away now. Amazing that you're such a proponent of civil rights, but don't seem to respect the most fundamental one though?

Was Eisenhower a neocon? i recall him being angry about "liberal judges" ruling against government in 1st Amendment cases.

Then there is every major Republican since Nixon including Trump.

Back