Surviving in Combat Sports youtube series:

Sinister

Doctor of Doom
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
Okay, so pretty soon I'm just gonna pull the trigger on this idea. A very candid few minutes, starting out will likely be bi-weekly and if it does well, weekly. I'll be discussing how to function in Combat Sports, because over all that's the biggest line of questioning we get here and likely happens in many other forums around the web. Our Sports have become such niche Sports that people don't honestly know what to make of the goings-on, or how to handle them. And I'm just gonna be very straight up about it, because anyone who has followed my posting for the last decade plus understands that's just me. I was honest about every time I got my ass kicked in my own thread, I'm gonna be honest now.

So this is what I'm gonna do. I'm going to let you all help decide the first 12 topics. That's 6 months worth of subject material. I will leave this thread open until about Saturday or so, which is significant for me because that's the day 4 of my Elite team members head out to Tennessee for the Eastern Qualifier National tournament. Feel free to debate among yourselves the topics you'd like discussed the most, and once I close the thread I'll review it and record the first episode.

Okay, so pretty soon I'm just gonna pull the trigger on this idea. A very candid few minutes, starting out will likely be bi-weekly and if it does well, weekly. I'll be discussing how to function in Combat Sports, because over all that's the biggest line of questioning we get here and likely happens in many other forums around the web. Our Sports have become such niche Sports that people don't honestly know what to make of the goings-on, or how to handle them. And I'm just gonna be very straight up about it, because anyone who has followed my posting for the last decade plus understands that's just me. I was honest about every time I got my ass kicked in my own thread, I'm gonna be honest now.

So this is what I'm gonna do. I'm going to let you all help decide the first 12 topics. That's 6 months worth of subject material. I will leave this thread open until about Saturday or so, which is significant for me because that's the day 4 of my Elite team members head out to Tennessee for the Eastern Qualifier National tournament. Feel free to debate among yourselves the topics you'd like discussed the most, and once I close the thread I'll review it and record the first episode.

awesome, go for it! I let my AMTT sit for years before I decided to pull the trigger, now I wish I would have launched it sooner. Im kind of confused about the question we can ask, how to function in combat sports? Asking about techniques?

I have one question I would like to ask about the uppercut, how exactly to throw it? does it need to be perfectly up/down or how about coming upwards at a slight angle?

I find everyone holding the mitts for the uppercut holds it way too high and also trying to have me turn sideways and punch perfectly up, with my palm horizontal.

I have a much easier time getting my body into the uppercut, etc by having my palm vertical and bring the uppercut up in a slight angle, so for my lead uppercut, lets say throwing it from 7-1 rather than from 6-12 for exmaple on a clock. and with my palm vertical rather than horizontal .

I find throwing the uppercut with a horizontal palm, from 6-12, puts me sideways and in a very vulnerable position for a kick. Maybe its the best way for boxing being thrown that way? but not so for MT IMO.

If that question doesnt fall into the correct category for your channel I have another I would like to ask, and thats injuries! we gotta stay injury free to survive and have a long career in a combat sport

@Sinister how about head hunting ( ie. aiming to beat other guys in sparring that have name or rep) and being a gym warrior. What’s the line between work and being a jerk?

Shincheckin - the uppercut is actually a very deep subject, so it's one I could delve into with surprising depth. But your second question is more relevant. Basically this series will be about deciphering gym culture, the business of fighting, etc.

Squabbles - very very good topic. Getting good paying fights doesn't work like most people think.

Zap (ja, that's what I'm calling you from now on) - another great topic. Because we get at least one thread a month on the levels of sparring, regardless of how many times its explained

Shincheckin - the uppercut is actually a very deep subject, so it's one I could delve into with surprising depth. But your second question is more relevant. Basically this series will be about deciphering gym culture, the business of fighting, etc.

Squabbles - very very good topic. Getting good paying fights doesn't work like most people think.

Zap (ja, that's what I'm calling you from now on) - another great topic. Because we get at least one thread a month on the levels of sparring, regardless of how many times its explained
I was also thinking along the lines of gym wars as well like Mayweather gun has the 20 min all out fighting level matches or at least when they are filming they put those on. Compared to what we saw a little while ago in your thread about Francisco Vargas son and him dropping his sparring partner and putting it on instagram.
Also would you take time to delve into the uppercut if we put a thread up about it? I would also be interested in what you got to say about McCallums uppercut. Mike had a very versatile uppercut.

How would a beginner be able to spot signs they're with a good coach or a bad Coach?
How can trainers negotiate with gyms in terms of getting space for privates, creating a programme etc.

Best ways to network as a coach with other trainers other gyms, referees, judges etc.

Any mental exercises or drills to help a fighter build their composure under fire (i know you've spoken about this before)

Hello,

I think it would be interesting to talk about the "hip" and how to use it (for punching)... A kind of expertise about the "hip".

^I may, but my aim isn't to do technique tutorials. Just more of how all this works. The players, the game itself, etc.

Last edited:
maybe something on switching gyms. The stigma attached to it and reasons you may actually want to change?
I think some threads have been made on a similar topic

Something about the "game", how promotion and matchmaking works out, and the other side with how many gyms sandbag and get nasty just to show the public they're a better gym

And I just want to add, I dont mean the huge Oscar De La Hoya Paydays. That is obvious. Make name, talk trash, and fight equally popular. I mean for rookies, and journeyman fighters, how they can best make a living from fighting if they never reach the top.

I guess I should have asked are there a tiers for fight payouts. For example do I have get on certain undercards, or fight in a certain city, or is it all about your promoter's connections.

Also, how much does sparring partner pay?

And I just want to add, I dont mean the huge Oscar De La Hoya Paydays. That is obvious. Make name, talk trash, and fight equally popular. I mean for rookies, and journeyman fighters, how they can best make a living from fighting if they never reach the top.

I guess I should have asked are there a tiers for fight payouts. For example do I have get on certain undercards, or fight in a certain city, or is it all about your promoter's connections.

Also, how much does sparring partner pay?

Those will definitely get covered, because like the music industry, most people who think Boxing is easy money end up broke.

Im wondering about boxing in general, why is it less popular then in the past ( or atleast it looks like it ) are the fighters less good / less entertainng then in the past or?
Sorry if this wasn't what you meant

Getting a fighter to dial it back in terms of training/sparring

I appreciate that you want to use your time to share your knowledge with us.
Here are some suggestions:

Could you give your view on how didactic and philosophies differ from diffferent schools/trainers like : Nacho Berinstain, Cubans, Russians, Charlie Goldman, Ray Arcel, Fredie Brown, Cus D´Amato, Eddie Futch, Emannuel Steward

How come that some successfull amateur boxers don´t make it as professionals?

How does management of a boxer work in terms of opponent selection- how do you make sure that you know enough about the opponent , so that your fighter has the edge / so that you know your guy is not overmatched?
(Cus D´Amato was big on this)

How does a boxing trainer scout for sparring partners for the training camp?

Is getting professional fighters good fights all about connections/networking and "outsiders" do not have a chance?

Comments about: underrated aspects of boxing? underestimation of head trauma?

Are all promoters corupted throatcutting/backstabbing snakes?
Who can you trust in the game?Why and how do you know that?

How much /often do your elite boxers train?
Do you always model them after other fighters? I think you mentioned Jose Stables and Willie Pastarno for your guy Dajion and Cyclone Mike reminds me a little bit of Carmen Basilio.

Why does nobody fight out of the L-Stance like Joe Gans,Sam Langford or a "more recent" example Freddie Little?

How do you break into the industry as a figher? Do you just walk into gym, tell coach, "hey, I want some paid professional bouts", and that is it?

How do you break into the industry as a figher? Do you just walk into gym, tell coach, "hey, I want some paid professional bouts", and that is it?

Believe it or not these questions seem simple enough, but IN the Industry they're rabbit holes. This one will have a good deal of content.

A simple one is that the fight world has a lot of lingo that I, as a complete noob, have no real comprehension of. A glossary or some shit would help me to actually understand things.

And most importantly, when is this youtube series going to be available for us to view?

Back