Surviving in Combat Sports youtube series:

A simple one is that the fight world has a lot of lingo that I, as a complete noob, have no real comprehension of. A glossary or some shit would help me to actually understand things.

Lol, the lingo changes by region too. You'd have to give me some examples of things you've seen or heard.

Your own team vs training with a bunch of good guys at the lower levels of the sport

Im wondering about boxing in general, why is it less popular then in the past ( or atleast it looks like it ) are the fighters less good / less entertainng then in the past or?
Sorry if this wasn't what you meant

I would argue with that. Boxing is huge in Europe in popularity. Especially the last few years. We usually had soccer streamed in bars and night clubs. Especially at Champions League days. But nowadays they stream boxing too. There were events organised in the most popular bars for the last Joshua fights. And I have noticed that increase in popularity in 2 Eastern European countries.

Perhaps in USA it is different, but in Europe I claim from observations that boxing is more popular that it was 10 years ago.

^It is different here, largely due to a cultural phenomenon in the U.S. I'll explain when I make this vid.

^It is different here, largely due to a cultural phenomenon in the U.S. I'll explain when I make this vid.
Looking forward to it. It always fascinates me when I see how culturally people develop in different places in the world. And when I was reading Koondrecht comment boxing falling in popularity, I was like "what the hell", even my colleague and friends talk about boxing nowadays... Heck even my gym is filled with ladies in 40-50 practicing boxing (they are at 8:30 am after our group)...

I would argue with that. Boxing is huge in Europe in popularity. Especially the last few years. We usually had soccer streamed in bars and night clubs. Especially at Champions League days. But nowadays they stream boxing too. There were events organised in the most popular bars for the last Joshua fights. And I have noticed that increase in popularity in 2 Eastern European countries.

Perhaps in USA it is different, but in Europe I claim from observations that boxing is more popular that it was 10 years ago.

Well I am from Europe and some people know who AJ is, almost no one knows who GGG or Canelo is. A lot of people know who Conor McGregor is. Thats why i'm asking, for instance my grandmother used to tell me she got out of bed at 5 in the morning to see Muhammad Ali fight.

Well I am from Europe and some people know who AJ is, almost no one knows who GGG or Canelo is. A lot of people know who Conor McGregor is. Thats why i'm asking, for instance my grandmother used to tell me she got out of bed at 5 in the morning to see Muhammad Ali fight.

Canelo's lack of global appeal is just due to lazy marketing. He's of Irish descent, is Mexican, and boxes with all the skill of a high-level American. Do you know how over he could be in Ireland? But he already does such big $$ here that GBP doesn't give a shit.

Canelo's lack of global appeal is just due to lazy marketing. He's of Irish descent, is Mexican, and boxes with all the skill of a high-level American. Do you know how over he could be in Ireland? But he already does such big $$ here that GBP doesn't give a shit.

I think it's not just him but boxing overall, UFC gets way more attention in Europe. Pretty weird that behind such a great boxer is a lazy marketing team.

I think it's not just him but boxing overall, UFC gets way more attention in Europe. Pretty weird that behind such a great boxer is a lazy marketing team.

I don't think MMA is more popular in Europe than Boxing. That Cruiserweight Super Series was very popular in Europe and many of the shows were sold out in stadiums. Boxing is at the crest of its popularity in Europe. Theres many European champions, and the heavyweight scene in Europe is as healthy as its ever been, making more money than it ever has. Lazy marketing isn't weird at all. That is the main reason for Boxing's wane

Last edited:
I'd interested in hearing how the recent emphasis on maintaining an "undefeated" record has changed fight camps, strategies, paychecks, etc.

I don't think MMA is more popular in Europe than Boxing. That Cruiserweight Super Series was very popular in Europe and many of the shows were sold out in stadiums. Boxing is at the crest of its popularity in Europe. Theres many European champions, and the heavyweight scene in Europe is as healthy as its ever been, making more money than it ever has. Lazy marketing isn't weird at all. That is the main reason for Boxing's wane

it seems like MMA has taken over the whole world. I dont even watch it aside from the mcgregor fights. I much rather watch muay thai or boxing than MMA. I dont find it very entertaining at all. All the stuff on the ground is just boring to watch. I think the reason its so damn popular here in the US is because all the UFC Bros are behind it and amazed at their small gloves. Plus there is the whole fashion thing behind it. Theres no boxing or MT fashion. MMA is like the Mullet of martial arts. Bros can tell everyone how tough they are because they train UFC. not to hijack your thread but it really bugs me how the whole world has gone MMA.

Well, that and it captured the most profitable demographic in the U.S. and has managed to keep it at a solid fan base.

I’d like your perspective on family in boxing- IE: dads being their sons main trainers, managers, etc. especially considering you’ve got a couple kids of your own who appear to really enjoy the sport from a young age

it seems like MMA has taken over the whole world. I dont even watch it aside from the mcgregor fights. I much rather watch muay thai or boxing than MMA. I dont find it very entertaining at all. All the stuff on the ground is just boring to watch. I think the reason its so damn popular here in the US is because all the UFC Bros are behind it and amazed at their small gloves. Plus there is the whole fashion thing behind it. Theres no boxing or MT fashion. MMA is like the Mullet of martial arts. Bros can tell everyone how tough they are because they train UFC. not to hijack your thread but it really bugs me how the whole world has gone MMA.
Striking snob confirmed

tenor.gif

giphy.gif

Striking snob confirmed

tenor.gif

giphy.gif

i find wrestling and even BJJ more interesting than MMA. Its cool and all, i just really dislike how its "the cool thing to do" its filled with so many posers etc. Much like how freestyle motocross is the cool thing for the bros to do, but they dont even ride.

i find wrestling and even BJJ more interesting than MMA. Its cool and all, i just really dislike how its "the cool thing to do" its filled with so many posers etc. Much like how freestyle motocross is the cool thing for the bros to do, but they dont even ride.
The fans ruin it, but its a good sport nevertheless. All sports will have shit fans in it

The fans ruin it, but its a good sport nevertheless. All sports will have shit fans in it
personally I like how close to an actual fight it is. the desert island scenario is answered: If conor and khabib were on a desert island fighting for the last scrap of food, khabib gets it. (yeah yeah, weapons and rules and all that. but in theory.) the more rules you add, the less certain you are about who would win in a fight instead of a match. we have wrestling matches, boxing matches, muay thai matches, and mma fights.
before mma, most people studied a particular martial art because they believed it to be superior to all others when it came to protecting yourself and kicking ass. MMA has risen to the top and proved to be the best at these things.

I watch boxing, kickboxing, muay thai, and mma. I love working with mma fighters the most. for my own training and competing I always prefered to box. im sort of an anomaly though.

Back