Sweep tips

Silver tongue samurai

Ronin
@Blue
Reaction score
Last night in training we went over a sweep and in sparring i was able to pull it off but i feel as if im "forcing it", as if im using more strength then technique any tips on the technique or little things you guys do that help you?

Sweep at 0:28

I misread the title as 'Sweet tips' and opened it expecting grade-A rubbish, lol. Carry on.

Timing and breaking their balance are very important when trying to sweep someone. You have to practice it a lot. Most people don’t actually have the patience to put the work and reps in to get really good at it.

off balance them, take a deeper angle

You have to catch them hoping upwards to get an easy foot sweep, otherwise you will be fighting their weight. Search for judo vids.

You have to catch them hoping upwards to get an easy foot sweep, otherwise you will be fighting their weight. Search for judo vids.
Do you mean like you have to catch them midair? There are plenty of thai catch and sweeps where your opponent is on one leg

Do you mean like you have to catch them midair? There are plenty of thai catch and sweeps where your opponent is on one leg
They are, but the sweep really comes when your weight isn't braced. On the catch kick->dump, you want them to be hopping its much easier to dump, same concept. But on this one, your arm across does the work because they're basically tightroped

They are, but the sweep really comes when your weight isn't braced. On the catch kick->dump, you want them to be hopping its much easier to dump, same concept. But on this one, your arm across does the work because they're basically tightroped
Ahh gotcha. when actually doing it you can feel the difference between the two

Yeah its part of randori in judo - it's basically the feel of your opponent weight being lifted from the ground, you only get that experience with fights.

Yeah its part of randori in judo - it's basically the feel of your opponent weight being lifted from the ground, you only get that experience with fights.
"The term was described by Jigoro Kano, the founder of Judo, in a speech at the 1932 Los Angeles Olympic Games: "Randori, meaning "free exercise", is practiced under conditions of actual contest. It includes throwing, choking, holding the opponent down, and bending or twisting of the arms. The two combatants may use whatever methods they like provided they do not hurt each other and obey the rules of Judo concerning etiquette, which are essential to its proper working."

So basically like thai clinch sparring. Just getting use to the weight distribution and that "feel"?

by 'deeper angle', do you mean like come into it more to the side? i haven't watched the video, at work now, forgive me if they explain in video!
Yeah. Anything in striking picture you and your opponents as trains. You t-bone them. You'll derail the train immediately .But if you do it head on it won't work unless you're a larger train

The key to those sweeps is opposite direction force: if you're kicking their legs out to the right you need to push their upper body to the left.
You also want to start pushing the body slightly before you make contact with your leg, you want to get them leaning or off-balance a bit so their weight isn't directly over their feet when you kick them out. Key word is "slightly", if you start pushing too early they can brace or reset their stance to resist the sweep, you want to start pushing the body just before or as you start sweeping the leg(s).

Any time your opponent is going backwards, you have an opportunity to sweep his leg.

Naturally, of course, this includes making him go backwards too.

animation-23.gif

Last edited:
Seen a kick boxer that was using an inside leg kick at the same time as his opponent threw the right hand it was a highly effective sweep.

Does anyone in here do muay thai sweeps in sparring? I always think about doing it, but i feel like it's disrespect to your sparring partner.

Any time your opponent is going backwards, you have an opportunity to sweep his leg.

Naturally, of course, this includes making him go backwards too.

animation-23.gif

Just got to watching all of these videos. The Nong-O video i liked a ton gonna try that next time

You’ve got to get your hips under theres. Number one most important thing about MT sweeps, trips and dumps

Back