Swim Caps are Racist

Do you guys just hang out around water all day? There are a lot of people, especially those who can't swim, who don't spend any time near water. I go to work. There is no lake at my work. I go to the gym. There is no lake at my gym. I go to the movies, rock climbing, hiking, and other such places with friends. No bodies of water. And I can swim well enough to keep me alive.

How often do you guys interact with swimmable water? Are those mandatory interactions or is it leisurely stuff you do because you can swim?

Haha. Don't come to Canada, you'll be a walking safety hazard. There's so much water that literally most of the country's electricity comes from water moving.

Who knew swimming caps were a vehicle of oppression? Odd article.

Maybe a company will come up with a new cap designed for black women.

In the post you responded to I quoted the opening line , the one i found to be a little provocative.

I guess at the end of the day every thread is started in order to " provoke a reaction".......no? If not then what's point, we are here to argue about shit right ?

I think the truth lies somewhere in the middle of the 2 " camps " here. Yes , it is possible to have a discussion on racial differences without being race bait'y and yes I also think the pretty common perception that there's an increased level of chatter out there in the ether by people with an eye on exploiting a racial divide is also grounded in a good bit of truth.

I also couldnt give 2 shits about the article or the professional cross hanger that wrote it . I mean , if were down to bitching about fucking swim caps than I guess that might be a pretty solid clue that we are running out of legitimate greivences aren't we?

The article wasn't really complaining, though. It's well documented that African Americans have a low swimmimg rate. This article questioned whether, for a community that has an enormously complex relationship with hair, swim caps play a role in discouraging them from swimming. I found it interesting.

I think maybe for a lot of the non-black people in this thread it seems like an out of nowhere article because you aren't familiar with how big of a deal hair is in the black community? Kind of like how foreigners can sometimes be confused when they see articles about gun deaths in America? I've often heard my asian and European friends say "just ban guns" or "how did the shooter get access to a gun in the first place" because they aren't really familiar with how entrenched the American gun culture is. Did this article seem random to you in that way?

The article wasn't really complaining, though. It's well documented that African Americans have a low swimmimg rate. This article questioned whether, for a community that has an enormously complex relationship with hair, swim caps play a role in discouraging them from swimming. I found it interesting.

I think maybe for a lot of the non-black people in this thread it seems like an out of nowhere article because you aren't familiar with how big of a deal hair is in the black community? Kind of like how foreigners can sometimes be confused when they see articles about gun deaths in America? I've often heard my asian and European friends say "just ban guns" or "how did the shooter get access to a gun in the first place" because they aren't really familiar with how entrenched the American gun culture is. Did this article seem random to you in that way?

The vast majority of people don't wear swimming caps for recreational swimming. It would apply to competitive swimming more-so which is a very small proportion of society.

So, I could see maybe the need to wear swimming caps could deter some girls from joining a competitive swim team I suppose.

The vast majority of people don't wear swimming caps for recreational swimming. It would apply to competitive swimming more-so which is a very small proportion of society.

So, I could see maybe the need to wear swimming caps could deter some girls from joining a competitive swim team I suppose.

Nah, you be surprised how many pools now require the swim cap. Its actually more sanitary that way. Hair gets into water, people swallow water with hair by accident.

Ewww gross

<{1-17}> <{1-17}> <{1-17}>

That's one hell of a reduction of the subject of the article.

Nah, you be surprised how many pools now require the swim cap. Its actually more sanitary that way. Hair gets into water, people swallow water with hair by accident.

Ewww gross

<{1-17}> <{1-17}> <{1-17}>

Really, I have never heard of such a thing. Well then I have no idea how many pools do that and what effect it has on swimming in general. I'd think most people wouldn't want to have to wear one.

I also found the article interesting. I found the OP's attempt to recharacterize an article about how the community's engagement with swimming is changing to a childish "swim caps are racist" tag line disappointing. I wonder how many people actually read the article for what it was and not influenced by the OP's race baiting title.

4537261848ea1d3ca09ee46b0b51c285.jpg
you have to warn before you randomly post pictures of heaven.

Not even sure how you'd design a swim cap that would work with natural full afro hair style and the principle of hydrodynamics.

Not even sure how you'd design a swim cap that would work with natural full afro hair style and the principle of hydrodynamics.

I'm bored so I checked to see if there are product lines for this sort of thing, and sure enough.. There is!

Jumbo-Lock-Journey-Swim-Cap.jpg

The website selling them even had a popup when I clicked on it asking me if I was a beautiful, strong, black women. hah

How often do you guys interact with swimmable water? Are those mandatory interactions or is it leisurely stuff you do because you can swim?

michigan-precipitation-map.jpg

Check out this map of the land i call my home and think about how different it is if I drive in 20 minutes in any direction vs if you did

Im not saying it would all be deep enough to drown in but as I think about it i actually dont think you could do it at all without encountering some form of fresh water

Hell we have retention ponds in parking lots that on the right day would be more than deep enough to drown in if you did something foolish around it and couldnt assist in your own rescue

To answer your question Im on the water constantly in the summer sometimes every other day if shit works out for me.

its funny to me how small my own world is ( I dont leave the mitten) that I never even stopped to think that being used to water wasnt as normal as I thought it was.

The website selling them even had a popup when I clicked on it asking me if I was a beautiful, strong, black women. hah
Lol. You are IDL, you are! And don't you ever forget it!

Imagine the ramifications if the popup said white male instead?

I'm bored so I checked to see if there are product lines for this sort of thing, and sure enough.. There is!

Jumbo-Lock-Journey-Swim-Cap.jpg

i would need to see evidence before making an informed opinion but from the eyeball test it looks like those still cause drag. Granted I never studied much hydrodynamics so I could be wrong.

i would need to see evidence before making an informed opinion but from the eyeball test it looks like those still cause drag. Granted I never studied much hydrodynamics so I could be wrong.

Yeah I am no expert in afrodynamics

I guess it's because I learned to swim really young, but when I hear someone say they can't swim there's a moment of "WTF? How's that possible?"

Check out this map of the land i call my home and think about how different it is if I drive in 20 minutes in any direction vs if you did

Im not saying it would all be deep enough to drown in but as I think about it i actually dont think you could do it at all without encountering some form of fresh water

Hell we have retention ponds in parking lots that on the right day would be more than deep enough to drown in if you did something foolish around it and couldnt assist in your own rescue

To answer your question Im on the water constantly in the summer sometimes every other day if shit works out for me.

its funny to me how small my own world is ( I dont leave the mitten) that I never even stopped to think that being used to water wasnt as normal as I thought it was.

Yeah, I would die if I lived there, lol. I can swim, but I'm not good at it. I probably interact with swimmable water once a year, maybe once every two years. If I grew up where you did, I guess I'd probably think it was crazy that people can't swim.

I'm going to venture an opinion out of my butt and say your experience is more representative of people overall than Leagons. More population centers are clustered around water than not.

Who knew swimming caps were a vehicle of oppression? Odd article.

Maybe a company will come up with a new cap designed for black women.

You'll be good. Just carry hot sauce in your purse and dab every once in a while.

not commonly they didn't, they weren't even remotely 'common' and that's for wealthy people until the 1980s

the vast vast majority of people learn to swim in public pools my dude
I come from an upper middle class to lower upper class family, born in 1980. I learned to swim at the YMCA

Back