Swim Caps are Racist

I come from an upper middle class to lower upper class family, born in 1980. I learned to swim at the YMCA

Black people gonna be setting world Olympic records in swimming in a few years.

Black people gonna be setting world Olympic records in swimming in a few years.
That’s hilarious. Swimming for sport isn’t exactly a lucrative endeavor. Basketball on the other hand

That’s hilarious. Swimming for sport isn’t exactly a lucrative endeavor. Basketball on the other hand

I'm not joking. You ever seen a white LeBron?
Nope. But you will see a black Phelps.

I'm not joking. You ever seen a white LeBron?
Nope. But you will see a black Phelps.
No you won’t. There’s literally no incentive, and a large percentage don’t know how to swim. Phelps is a once ever athlete, that’s the only reason he’s rich. But basketball players make bank, even if you arent LeBron

"22. If our society had no social problems at all, the leftists would have to INVENT problems in order to provide themselves with an excuse for making a fuss." - Theodore Kaczynski, Industrial Society and it's Future

Sucks when the Unabomber's prophecy comes true, doesn't it?

"22. If our society had no social problems at all, the leftists would have to INVENT problems in order to provide themselves with an excuse for making a fuss." - Theodore Kaczynski, Industrial Society and it's Future

Sucks when the Unabomber's prophecy comes true, doesn't it?

<TheWire1>

The article wasn't really complaining, though. It's well documented that African Americans have a low swimmimg rate. This article questioned whether, for a community that has an enormously complex relationship with hair, swim caps play a role in discouraging them from swimming. I found it interesting.

I think maybe for a lot of the non-black people in this thread it seems like an out of nowhere article because you aren't familiar with how big of a deal hair is in the black community? Kind of like how foreigners can sometimes be confused when they see articles about gun deaths in America? I've often heard my asian and European friends say "just ban guns" or "how did the shooter get access to a gun in the first place" because they aren't really familiar with how entrenched the American gun culture is. Did this article seem random to you in that way?

That makes more sense coming from that perspective , maybe the author could have articulated that a bit better. As a white dude reading the article and without the additional context that you provided , it takes on a decidedly different tone . That might not be what's intended buts that how it rubbed me ( and quite a few others it seems)

ukby8tf.jpg

Swim caps have conventionally been designed as one size fits all for straighter, less curly hairstyles. They help with resistance in the water, but are not meant to keep water fully out. Singleton tells her students that the most important factor in choosing a swim cap is size and type, not brand, but she says many students don’t know how to put on a swim cap properly in the first place. There’s little instruction on the internet on what to do if they have afros or dreadlocks. “I’ve had black girls that have had the entire backs of their hair broken off from breakage, or [from] not having the right moisturizers because of the chemicals and the rubbing of the caps,” she says.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2018/08/swim-caps-black-women/567398/

Shame on you white folks.

It is about time!

Finally some responsible journalism.

This thread is a perfect example of why liberalism is on the decline globally. Keep it up I say you estrogen filled babies.

Back