Swimming for S and C?

It isn't a death setence for fighting ability, but it mimics fighting conditions extremelly poorly, and that's the least of your worries when it comes to swimming. It takes up a lot of calories, especially if the water is cold(it burns fat really well bc of this). The worst thing is, it trains your neuromuscular system to move slowly and with little resistance; basically slow twitch muscles all the way, which isn't something you're looking for if you're a fighter. Also, a really famous Judo and TKD trainer in my country told me the slow, low resistance movements while swimming dull your reflexes and reaction time, and this guy knows his shit(he's also a professor at 2 colleges, one here, one in Russia). If you are really keen on swimming for SnC, there's is a way-how I would go about it, but you kinda have to be an advanced swimmer, at least technique wise. Basically, you swim one length of the pool(or a distance you determine) in butterfly in explosive passion, then you swim back to your starting position in relaxed backstroke. Do it in backstroke to relax between butterfly sets; since it's basically the most passive stroke and when you swim on your back you take the water pressure off your chest/lungs. Structure it like a HIIT workout(eg. 5-10 sets of explosive butterfly, 5-10 sets of active rest in the form of relaxed backstroke). Also, make sure to hydrate properly; a lot of first time swimmers forget to drink water and then become surprised when a dull headache appears.

PS Nothing can replace roadwork, as we clearly saw with conor

It isn't a death setence for fighting ability, but it mimics fighting conditions extremelly poorly, and that's the least of your worries when it comes to swimming. It takes up a lot of calories, especially if the water is cold(it burns fat really well bc of this). The worst thing is, it trains your neuromuscular system to move slowly and with little resistance; basically slow twitch muscles all the way, which isn't something you're looking for if you're a fighter. Also, a really famous Judo and TKD trainer in my country told me the slow, low resistance movements while swimming dull your reflexes, but who knows. If you are really keen on swimming for SnC, there's is a way-how I would go about it, but you kinda have to be an advanced swimmer, at least technique wise. Basically, you swim one length of the pool(or a distance you determine) in butterfly in explosive passion, then you swim back to your starting position in relaxed backstroke. Do it in backstroke to relax between butterfly sets; since it's basically the most passive stroke and when you swim on your back you take the water pressure off your chest/lungs. Structure it like a HIIT workout(eg. 5-10 sets of explosive butterfly, 5-10 sets of active rest in the form of relaxed backstroke). Also, make sure to hydrate properly; a lot of first time swimmers forget to drink water and then become surprised when a dull headache appears.

PS Nothing can replace roadwork, as we clearly saw with conor

so you're saying it would be good for someone who suffers from fibromylgia? i dont think it trains the neuro muscular system , are you sure?

Last edited:
so you're saying it would be good for someone who suffers from fibromylgia? i dont think it trains the neuro muscular system , are you sure?
Hey, if my friend had fibromylgia, I'm pretty sure I could help him, but I'd give him some other advice. I would advise swimming

Demo -- what's your swimming event?
(if you're technically proficient, swimming is excellent for CV fitness. but you probably have got to be one to be that proficient. for landlubbers, agreed - it's probably not the best)

Amino -- am not sure how good swimming would be, particularly in such low volume. to get a good workout, one needs a degree of technical proficiency really to get that great workout. I'd say there are other, better options

If you don't mind my asking, what level of technical proficiency would you need before it becomes worthwhile?

I've been considering looking into swimming (I know how to do it, but not very well) as a way to get cardio while being easier on my joints. There should be some classes in my area, but I don't think I'd pursue it if learning the technique to make swimming useful cardio would take months upon months.

hey cross!
freestyle stroke needs to be good enough and with good form to, say comfortably do 200m / yds (short course)
some other "survival" or "combat" strokes are less taxing and one can do much more without going to exhaustion
breast also needs good technique, else the knees and shoulders do get surprisingly stressed
it's really no different than making sure the KB swing is with good form or a squat or a clean or snatch -- that preserves the joints and is what enables a strong workout!

Gary Hall Sr has some excellent pointer vids to help with this!
good luck and kick some ass in the pool!

Demi -- keep rocking it!! :fistbump:

(crap -- sorry for the double!!)

(crap -- sorry for the double!!)
i am not complete idiot lol but fist bumps back ::no but congradulations to me .. everyone all the drinks on are my tab .. rock on indeed .. thank god!dor50010530.jpg

Last edited:
Back