Switching gym....easier said than done.

i'd like to know the name of some of these gyms you guys have been to, so I know where not to go.

I've been at my gym for 4 ish years now. It's small, no black belts /pro teachers but 4 pretty dedicated fighters, we're all close .
I'm barely an amateur but end up being only person around to spar with the schools best fighter (pro, and no judgement but goes on heavy cycles before fights, is pretty aggressive). 3 sparring sessions per week, usually really just us/ maybe one other non civilian
I've herniated discs twice , had two concussions and tons of minor injuries against him.
Im just a hobbyist, train 5-6 days a week but also hearing back from med schools soon. Am I a traitor if I go to a bigger gym with more training partners closer to my level? I'm really close with my coaches, agonizing over the decision.

after training muay thai for 18 years and cross training at several different gyms and being a member and fighting for a few different gyms my opinion on it is this. I used to be big on the gym loyalty, not anymore though.

if you have a reason to leave a gym, leave. It sounds too simple but sometimes we overthink and complicate things. There can be many different reasons to leave a gym and it will vary person to person, but if you have a reason to, then leave, there is a reason, there is a reason. If there was no reason you wouldnt/shouldnt leave.

I've been at my gym for 4 ish years now. It's small, no black belts /pro teachers but 4 pretty dedicated fighters, we're all close .
I'm barely an amateur but end up being only person around to spar with the schools best fighter (pro, and no judgement but goes on heavy cycles before fights, is pretty aggressive). 3 sparring sessions per week, usually really just us/ maybe one other non civilian
I've herniated discs twice , had two concussions and tons of minor injuries against him.
Im just a hobbyist, train 5-6 days a week but also hearing back from med schools soon. Am I a traitor if I go to a bigger gym with more training partners closer to my level? I'm really close with my coaches, agonizing over the decision.
Run it by them first. Most places for the most part are more open to cross training, but if you are to rep your gym you'd have to train there more. You can't be training at the other place, and rep your main gym, the other one would never be cool with that.

Late last year I left my main gym I was at. Sad part was all my friends were there, and it turned out even though I thought we were tight, turns out weren't as tight when I left. Had an issue with the arrangement and neglect from the coach which is why I left. Anyways, the new gym I feel the magic I felt when I first started out, and its better in all aspects. As someone who used to be huge on gym loyalty and felt people who cross trained were heretics, I've come to turn around. Its a very very big world out there, and its hugely beneficial to learn from different sources esp. if they're all qualified. Its like in the work force, its good to be loyal, but job security is nearly non-existent these days. Gym membership arrangement is as follows: your coach provides knowledge to you, and in exchange you provide gym fees that help keep the lights running. At the core, thats what it comes down to.

If you happen to be one of the higher skilled guys at a gym and the gap with the rest of your training partners is so significant, you have to leave, staying there means you won't grow, and you'll at the end regress since everyone around you is improving. Any coach who says you should be "resourceful" or "frugal" with your partners and won't find benefit from higher ranked fighters is clearly selling smoke to keep you around to pay their income.

Gym membership arrangement is as follows: your coach provides knowledge to you, and in exchange you provide gym fees that help keep the lights running. At the core, thats what it comes down to.

<seedat>

Leave. No reason to be getting pelted up like that in sparring, you're not learning shit lol. I had to leave a gym once because I got fuckin suckered once in a sparring session because the other guy couldn't handle it and got egotistical.

Back