Syrian Government Sarin Stockpiles Definitively Linked to Civilian Gassing in Civil War

THE HAGUE (Reuters) - The Syrian government’s chemical weapons stockpile has been linked for the first time by laboratory tests to the largest sarin nerve agent attack of the civil war, diplomats and scientists told Reuters, supporting Western claims that government forces under President Bashar al-Assad were behind the atrocity.

Laboratories working for the Organisation for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons compared samples taken by a U.N. mission in the Damascus suburb of Ghouta after the Aug. 21, 2013 attack, when hundreds of civilians died of sarin gas poisoning, to chemicals handed over by Damascus for destruction in 2014.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...to-largest-sarin-attack-sources-idUSKBN1FJ0MG

Hopefully this puts to rest all the CT nonsense about the rebels being the ones using gas. But, I'm not going to hold my breath.
Why would it put that theory to rest? The theory is based on the rebels using the government’s sarin that they would have obtained from one of the bases/ weapons caches they took over.

Was there a separate theory that ISIS had their own chemical weapons plant?

You are aware that there are also tests, that show it was not Syrian stock as well right?

And multiple intelligence agencies saying ISIS has chemical weapons capability.

This is what this really comes down to though. The Syrian government was winning, as they are now.

The reward, and the risk for using those weapons was so out of balance and weighted toward risk, that anyone who actually believes the Syrian government used those weapons is a fool.
Wasn’t IS’ chemical weapon production supposedly limited to chlorine? I never heard they were able to produce sarin?

From the article:

NO CHANCE REBELS BEHIND GHOUTA
Smithson and other sources familiar with the matter said it would have been virtually impossible for the rebels to carry out a coordinated, large-scale strike with poisonous munitions, even if they had been able to steal the chemicals from the government’s stockpile.

Yeah but how does he feel about weapons of mass destruction in Iraq? Obviously they're eating the yellowcake.

If this is true, obviously our only democratic ally in the region Israel is going to have to invade. Us Americans are a bit busy not giving a fuck.

At the time of the attack, Assad was not on the ropes, in that area. Using WMDs invites Western strikes. Why would Assad do something that would surely bring about Western military action?

I am skeptical of the claims; because no one can really be trusted.

Last edited:
Funny thing is Assad is still preferable to the Islamist rebels even if he did used sarin gas. That's how much of a shithole that region of the world is.

THE HAGUE (Reuters) - The Syrian government’s chemical weapons stockpile has been linked for the first time by laboratory tests to the largest sarin nerve agent attack of the civil war, diplomats and scientists told Reuters, supporting Western claims that government forces under President Bashar al-Assad were behind the atrocity.

Laboratories working for the Organisation for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons compared samples taken by a U.N. mission in the Damascus suburb of Ghouta after the Aug. 21, 2013 attack, when hundreds of civilians died of sarin gas poisoning, to chemicals handed over by Damascus for destruction in 2014.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...to-largest-sarin-attack-sources-idUSKBN1FJ0MG

Hopefully this puts to rest all the CT nonsense about the rebels being the ones using gas. But, I'm not going to hold my breath.

We should probably go to war over this. Come on Syria Russia and Iran!

Yee Hawwwww. War is fun

Funny thing is Assad is still preferable to the Islamist rebels even if he did used sarin gas. That's how much of a shithole that region of the world is.
True story

I believe SBJJ too

I'm not really sure I ever commented on it. In fact, I'm thinking I wasn't in the WR for all that fun stuff

Honestly I just don't know on this one. Both sides make a semi strong case.

Probably not worth going to war with Syria Iran and Russia over it though.

Damn. TS calls out a few names and an avalanche of people chime in with their disbelief also.

I can't speak for Viva and crew. But I'm not saying I know shit. But that goes both ways and no matter how many global groups tell me what to think. I still say common sense says it made no sense at all for the Syrian government to use these weapons. But it made a whole lot of sense for those freedom loving progressive rebels to use them

I don't know and really don't care. A sarin canister and a drone strike do the same thing. Kill your ASS

And lobbing those missles like Trump did was possibly the dumbest thing he's done as pres

Syrian Civil War issues are 100% about Israeli expansionism. There is no one else that gives a fuck.

This is essentially meaningless information that exists seemingly to suggest guilt on Syria's part, when in reality it's just as inconclusive as before.

No one will hold them accountable.

Gen. Mattis : US has no evidence Assad used Sarin gas. He does say that Assad used Chlorine gas.

US has no evidence of Syrian use of sarin gas, Mattis says

WASHINGTON — The U.S. has no evidence to confirm reports from aid groups and others that the Syrian government has used the deadly chemical sarin on its citizens, Defense Secretary Jim Mattis said Friday.

“We have other reports from the battlefield from people who claim it’s been used,” Mattis told reporters at the Pentagon. “We do not have evidence of it.”

He said he was not rebutting the reports.

“We’re looking for evidence of it, since clearly we are dealing with the Assad regime that has used denial and deceit to hide their outlaw actions,” Mattis said.

Syrian President Bashar Assad denies his government has used chemical weapons.

Mattis says it is clear that Assad’s government has weaponized and used chlorine gas in the Syrian civil war.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...3391373867e_story.html?utm_term=.ccccfde00c71

ya as he just said, obtaining the Sarin is one thing in a Civil War

being actually trained to handle/store/launch/clean it up are two entirely different things tho

Didnt we, the USA, or some allied nation have people on the ground to train the FSA or some moderate group? I think I remember reading something like that.

Back