T.J. Dillashaw sends message to Demetrious Johnson: ‘Don’t be scared...let’s get this done’

MM has said his weight was 146 and 143 Cody has stated in the past he was the lighter side of 150.

"Walkaround weight" is a bunch of BS. It means different things to different guys. Some guys blow up in between camps. Some guys can cut weight easier than others.

The Rufusport guys spent years talking shit about how little weight Pettis cut to make LW and how he easily could compete at 145. So what happened when actually went down a division? Dude washed out of Featherweight within two fights because the cut was too hard irrespective of his low "walkaround weight."

Until a guy actually makes weight successfully and completes in a division, this stuff is all speculation.

It doesn't have to say it because it's already implied. If you don't weigh in over the limit you aren't in that weightclass. Thats why it called a weightclass for christ sake.

The fact that you can't provide a single example to justify your absurd point of view should really tell you all you need to know and show you that you are wrong.
I and another poster have shown you THE RULES. You have shown NOTHING except your "beliefs". NOWHERE in the rules does it say you must meet a MINIMUM weight standard to fight for a title. You are lost, completely lost. Maybe even in life.

None of this shows both belts can be defended in the same fight. Care to try again?

He's not wrong and yeah it does show that. But will never happen because it's dumb lol.

The weight classes have an upper limit, but not a lower one.

TJ fights at 135. That's up to 135. But he can weigh anything he wants below it.

It'll never happen and it's dumb but it could technically happen. Dana and the UFC would never let it happen.

MM not jumping at TJ's yipping and yapping is no indication of anything other than the price hasn't been right.

He's been avoiding TJ for 6 months now. He complains about money, yet this would be his biggest payday ever.

MM has become a joke. I used to have a high opinion of him as a champion. No longer. He just wants to coast and fight cans and complain about not getting paid enough even though he is fighting cans.

MM doesn't care what I think. Nor do I care about him as champion and will not buy any events he is headlining on unless it is to fight TJ.

MM could have stepped up and said, hell yeah, if he can make 125 I'll fight him. But he didn't. He dodges and ducks. He has went from GOAT discussion to pathetic over this one fight he avoids like the plague.

At the end of the day, I don't care if they cut the entire 125 division. Yes, some of them are skilled, but I'd rather see more and better fights at the higher weight classes than waste PPV time on the 125 division. If I don't want to see or pay to see the 125 champion, there is no way I want to see any of the rest of the division either.

He's not wrong and yeah it does show that. But will never happen because it's dumb lol.

TJ fights at 135. That's up to 135. But he can weigh anything he wants below it.

It'll never happen and it's dumb but it could technically happen. Dana and the UFC would never let it happen.
Show me where in there it states 2 titles can be defended in the same fight. That is and was his entire argument. I'll wait.

He's been avoiding TJ for 6 months now. He complains about money, yet this would be his biggest payday ever.

By what metric? Both PPVs TJ has headlined sold just as poor as DJ's PPV.s. Where in the hell are you people getting that his is suddenly a money fight?

By what metric? Both PPVs TJ has headlined sold just as poor as DJ's PPV.s. Where in the hell are you people getting that his is suddenly a money fight?

I never wrote he would get 5 million or anything like that.

I never wrote he would get 5 million or anything like that.

The point is TJ isn't a draw DJ isn't a draw, putting two fighters that aren't draws together isn't going to magically make this his biggest payday like you claimed. The PPV won't sell enough for points to matter and unless the UFC cave in and give him more base pay he's going to make exactly the same for a fight that makes literally zero sense at 125.

"Don't negotiate. Just accept whatever money and stipulations UFC wants you to. No questions."

I and another poster have shown you THE RULES. You have shown NOTHING except your "beliefs". NOWHERE in the rules does it say you must meet a MINIMUM weight standard to fight for a title. You are lost, completely lost. Maybe even in life.

Hahaha. Kay We're done here. It doesn't specifically say it because it's implied by having a minimum weight specified, you're arguing semantics and it's pointless to continue.

Unless of course you can prove your point by providing 1 example of someone fighting for a title in a weightclass they weighed in under the limit which we both know you can't this is an exercise in futility.

They do have a lower one though. If you weigh in at 125 for a Bantemweight weight fight you aren't a Bantemweight.

The rules don't specifically say this because it's implied. If what you are trying to say was true weightclasses would be completely meaning less. A 125 pound guy could fight for the Heavyweight title which we all know would never be allowed.

This whole argument is based on semantics and arbitrary wording.

Hahaha. Kay We're done here. It doesn't specifically say it because it's implied by having a minimum weight specified, you're arguing semantics and it's pointless to continue.

Unless of course you can prove your point by providing 1 example of someone fighting for a title in a weightclass they weighed in under the limit which we both know you can't this is an exercise in futility.
This is the last time I do your homework for you, you fucking moron!

https://sports.stackexchange.com/qu...imum-weight-to-box-at-a-specific-weight-class
Boxing
"Amateur" boxers cannot fight above (or below) their weight class, as stated by the Amateur International Boxing Association (the seemingly most well-regarded amateur ruling body). The lower bound of a weight class is also a requirement to fight at that weight. Oddly enough, this is also the case for the Summer Olympics.

Source: AIBA, Technical & Competition Rules, §1.2 & Appendix K

Pro boxing is a little trickier, as there are 4 different major boxing organizations - the IBF, WBO, WBA, and WBC. Fortunately, they seem to have more or less the same ideas about minimum weight, namely that there isn't one. A fighter is free to fight above their weightclass as far as I can tell, at least from the WBO and IBF rules.

One thing to note, however, is that to challenge the holder of the heavyweight championship belt, you're going to have to be ranked pretty high within that weight division to even get the chance. That means winning several fights with a pretty drastic disadvantage. In reality, I doubt they'd ever let a fight between fighters of that large a weight discrepancy ever happen. And personally, I'd probably take my extra 80 pounds of pure functional muscle over quickness any day.

There are also "catch weight" fights that have limits outside the usual weight classes. The limit is typically agreed upon by the boxers themselves beforehand.

MMA
The MMA has similar rules to amateur boxing (at least in the United States), as athletic commissions from several states came together to write the Unified Rules of Mixed Martial Arts, which states fighters must fight within their weight classes.

And here: https://www.boxingforum24.com/threa...t-fight-a-heavyweight-if-he-wanted-to.251897/

Now stop bullshitting because of your ego!

This is the last time I do your homework for you, you fucking moron!

https://sports.stackexchange.com/qu...imum-weight-to-box-at-a-specific-weight-class
Boxing
"Amateur" boxers cannot fight above (or below) their weight class, as stated by the Amateur International Boxing Association (the seemingly most well-regarded amateur ruling body). The lower bound of a weight class is also a requirement to fight at that weight. Oddly enough, this is also the case for the Summer Olympics.

Source: AIBA, Technical & Competition Rules, §1.2 & Appendix K

Pro boxing is a little trickier, as there are 4 different major boxing organizations - the IBF, WBO, WBA, and WBC. Fortunately, they seem to have more or less the same ideas about minimum weight, namely that there isn't one. A fighter is free to fight above their weightclass as far as I can tell, at least from the WBO and IBF rules.

One thing to note, however, is that to challenge the holder of the heavyweight championship belt, you're going to have to be ranked pretty high within that weight division to even get the chance. That means winning several fights with a pretty drastic disadvantage. In reality, I doubt they'd ever let a fight between fighters of that large a weight discrepancy ever happen. And personally, I'd probably take my extra 80 pounds of pure functional muscle over quickness any day.

There are also "catch weight" fights that have limits outside the usual weight classes. The limit is typically agreed upon by the boxers themselves beforehand.

MMA
The MMA has similar rules to amateur boxing (at least in the United States), as athletic commissions from several states came together to write the Unified Rules of Mixed Martial Arts, which states fighters must fight within their weight classes.

And here: https://www.boxingforum24.com/threa...t-fight-a-heavyweight-if-he-wanted-to.251897/

Now stop bullshitting because of your ego!

Did you read what you pasted? We're talking about MMA and you just proved me right, lol.

The only grey area is in pro Boxing and the wording of that is ambiguous at best.

Did you read what you pasted? We're talking about MMA and you just proved me right, lol.

The only grey area is in pro Boxing and the wording of that is ambiguous at best.
You pathetic little weasel. Now I think you are just trolling because YOU OBVIOUSLY DIDN'T READ WHAT I PASTED. Go to the UNIFIED RULES LINK I PROVIDED FOR YOU. Go to "weight requirements" and it CLEARLY STATES

13:46-24B.5 Weighing of mixed martial artists

(a) Weighing of all mixed martial artists shall be conducted in accordance with the requirements for professional boxers of N.J.A.C. 13:46-1A.3.

Just caught it now... I apologize as I'm a little "slow"... you are a "special" guy. Sorry for the harsh words that make an "owee" in your heart.

Sherdog, you need to do a better job of "highlighting" who the fucking retards are. If they are "special", there should be some insignia on their avatar or name to differentiate so that us "normal" Shertards aren't so harsh on them.

Show me where in there it states 2 titles can be defended in the same fight. That is and was his entire argument. I'll wait.

That wouldn't be in the unified MMA rules.

The UFC controls the belts, not the weight classes. Big John McCarthy has talked about it on his podcast. He'd know considering he was one of the people who wrote the unified MMA rules

The UFC can literally do whatever the fuck it wants with their belts.

They do have a lower one though. If you weigh in at 125 for a Bantemweight weight fight you aren't a Bantemweight.

The rules don't specifically say this because it's implied. If what you are trying to say was true weightclasses would be completely meaning less. A 125 pound guy could fight for the Heavyweight title which we all know would never be allowed.

This whole argument is based on semantics and arbitrary wording.
You really need to stop... it is embarrassing and infuriating at the same time. The weight classes are meant to protect the smaller guys from the bigger guys, not the other way around. A HW can't come down to flyweight because it wouldn't be considered "fair" under the rules. HOWEVER, if the flyweight felt he had the skills to compete with the big boys it is perfectly legal.

I don’t think this fight happens because DJ seems to be in a real pissing contest with the UFC over what he feels he deserves to be paid. I’m not sure they are going to give it to him. Because he is not a draw.

Back