Tactically the best hand weapon

nopardaid

bammed
@Green
Reaction score
No gun, other than that what would be your choice of "battle type" back up weapon ie, Braveheart style.
I have been thinking either a regular hachett or Gurka. I think hatchett because it is heavier and can crush as well. It's only drawback, is that it could possibly get lodged in the skull and get stuck.
Gurka would be ok, but I don't think it would be as effective.
Your choice?

ame206350 said:
I still choose gun.:D
oh, absolutely, a gun and many friends with guns. But if you had no gun what would be your medium size (no fricken broadsword or anything that big) choice.

phengeng said:
a paintball marker
Thanks, good reply. I can see Sherdog can look forward to many years of great posts from you.

ginunting. slice and dice.
01.jpg

and also a good knife to go along with it.

I'd choose a big spear. Wouldn't take much to use it effectively ( I have no weapon training and against most weapons you'd have the big advantage of range). A good swordsman could get round me with a shield but how many of them are around these days?

Also very effective in the home in a corridor it'd be hard to get past.

gurka? you mean a khukuri?

Those curved nepalese knives?

A lot better than a hatchet IMO, since they can do everything a hatchet can do + can be used to stab...

I've chopped pennies in half with them.

I'd take the khukuri, but mines is a lot longer than my .45. Would much rather take the .45.

aries said:
I'd choose a big spear. Wouldn't take much to use it effectively ( I have no weapon training and against most weapons you'd have the big advantage of range). A good swordsman could get round me with a shield but how many of them are around these days?

Also very effective in the home in a corridor it'd be hard to get past.
Not bad, I wouldn't think it would be good against multiple attackers though.

00 Buck said:
gurka? you mean a khukuri?

Those curved nepalese knives?

A lot better than a hatchet IMO, since they can do everything a hatchet can do + can be used to stab...

I've chopped pennies in half with them.

I'd take the khukuri, but mines is a lot longer than my .45. Would much rather take the .45.
Yeah, that one. You must have a better one than me, mine is way too light to cut a penny in half. I'll look at some quality ones online.

nopardaid said:
Yeah, that one. You must have a better one than me, mine is way too light to cut a penny in half. I'll look at some quality ones online.

I got mines from Himalayan Imports.

Just don't buy any of those cheap stainless steel ones. Stainless steel is too brittle to be used on the big blades...

The penny chopping doesn't work when I put the coin on a phone book, the book absorbs too much of the force. On a wooden board however... :cool:

Edit: try chopping a penny in half with a stainless steel one and the thing would probably snap near the tang area & the blade will be flying into random directions...

I just started training with the karambit and I must say I love this weapon

nopardaid said:
Not bad, I wouldn't think it would be good against multiple attackers though.

No you're probably right. But in a narrow corridor I imagine it would be pretty difficult to get past. I have one I keep by the top of my stairs. Any intruder with less than a gun won't be coming up them stairs :D

Arnis_7788 said:
A knife, I would evan chose it over a gun.

:icon_surp A knife over a gun. I wouldn't chose a knife over a sword or a spear let alone a gun!

I'd get some skills, and bring a fighting sword like a rapier or something. They are the best for single combat obviously.

krnguy03 said:
hmm.. who brings a knife to a gunfight?

Yea, a handgun alone isn't even enough for a gunfight let alone a knife... lol.

Rules of a gunfight:

1. Don't get into one

2. There are no rules

3. Bring a gun w/ ammo

4. Bring long gun/s

5. Bring back-up/s (maybe pistol)

6. Bring buddies with long guns and back-ups.... :icon_chee

.... and so on...

There is such a thing as knife range though. And within this close range the blade could arguably be more effective than a handgun. But you need to get into this bubble in the first place and risk getting shot (very likely).

Arnis_7788 said:
A knife, I would evan chose it over a gun.

He is talking about "Brave heart" style combat, not self defense.

I would bring a roman gladius with a shield. I have no weapon training, but this seems like an easy combination to use; use the sheild to get in close where the gladius will out peform most larger blades.

Back