taekwondo for mma

grkted5

White Belt
Reaction score
If u see all the great strikers, most started off with TKD. I know TKD alone is def. no good for MMA competition but im just saying great strikers like anderson silva are great strikers because of what they already knew by learning TKD when younger. Like anderson silva, his body became flexible early and was used to striking techniques so when he learned muay thai he became a good technical striker. And if you see his fight with leben he moves like a TKD competitor. So TKD helps I guess.

Anderson SIlva , too me comes across all MT.

A great Example of TKD would be THE Crow. He uses it alot.
Traditional Martial Arts should never be underestimated. Its really how the person applies the
technique.

who were some of the great strikers that started in TKD?

"None of that tap-tap shit kid...power! power!"

Dennis Alexio as Eric in the movie Kickboxer

not to disrespect the federations of tkd but if they aloud full contact sparring with punches to the head then the tkd students would be alot better in fighting. But punches to the body only develop bad habits and when these guys get into a real fight all they rely on is there kicks and most of the time it doesnt work in a real fight.

And we needed this thread why? Its been argued to death.

But if you want to see some pretty exciting guys with a TKD base I posted this in a previous thread.

The first is Lukasz Juras.

http://www.sherdog.com/fightfinder/f...ighterID=14131

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrZ9gullGCw (very strange fight that ends with one kick and then his opponent taps out. Weird, weird fight. You'll have to suffer through long introductions to see it).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrZ9gullGCw (highlight video that shows his ITF tournament competition days.

The other guy that has come out of the ITF Europe scene is named Zelg. He is a former ITF champion. Brazilian HKD introduced him to us a while back. I think you guys will like his fighting style (very exciting).

http://www.sherdog.com/fightfinder/f...ighterID=11217

Some of his fights.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pq4hHEKbv-w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kT3mthJguOo (fight at Cage Rage)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lyFKiSJ_RM (against a UFC veteran in Cage Rage)

I let this thread slide because I knew someone like you would post actual information.

Sometimes you can see a little TKD in Shogun's striking. I don't know if he actually did TKD when he was younger, but some of it is very TKD-esque. Personally, I got a black belt in TKD when I was younger, but abandoned that looong ago and theres not hint of it lingering in my striking. It all depends on how you adapt it just like any other aspect of MMA.

Edit: Here's a cool training video of Wandy and Shogun in case any of you haven't seen it before. http://video.google.ca/videoplay?docid=-7633406943957795482&q=shogun

The Gubbinz said:
So is this all a bunch of kids who learned TKD when they were in their early teens and are now going to argue with the Striking Forum until they can believe that they are equivalent to our Kickboxing practitioners?

At least for my own part, I abadoned TKD in early middle school and went to wrestling (then went to muay thai) because I thought it was too easy/fake even then. I'm more on board with the "TMAs suck and are useless" crew, only I still have a deep respect for them for what they are. But I think what people are here to argue about isn't about the strength or practicality of TKD on it's own, but rather it's adaptability. Even if every single technique of TKD was "useless", if you at least developed really good flexibility, speed, and hip strength from it, wouldn't you say that's pretty useful?

Edit: Where'd his post go? Sorry for the double post then....

His post went bye bye as he was clearly trolling.

I may have let this thread slide but that's not an invitation for people to be stupid.

I think that a lot depends on the practitioner and what type of TKD they do. Some of the TKD orgs seem to put little emphasis on the full contact element of training. So they are handicapped when they come up against an individual who is versed in full contact fighting. I also think that a lot depends on the individual, as most TKD fighters I have seen have been crap, but the odd guy is normally very good. These individuals are either full contact fighters, cross trainers or just exceptional athletes.

I use “lil Mirko” Zelg Galesic as an example. Zelg is not strictly just a TKD practitioner, as he has trained in a variety of styles, (Boxing and Muay Thai) and fused these skills with his TKD. What you see is a hybrid fighter who has strong TKD influences, but who is definitely not a pure TKD exponent.

So my conclusion is that TKD can help as a base but in most cases you will need more than just the TKD promoted by most of the different TKD bodies. .

Why do people honestly think that someone's inquiry about TKD's viability in MMA means that they're ignorant to even the very idea of MIXED Martial Arts?

I think for sake of style discussion in the future we should and can all safely assume that a thread like this is inquiring as to the proper process of blending TKD in with other fighting demensions, as opposed to spouting the same lecture that we've all read ad-nauseum that TKD alone will most-likely not win someone an MMA Title. I'm pretty positive anyone who even knows what the letters in "MMA" stand for is aware of this.

WingChunMan said:
Anderson SIlva , too me comes across all MT.

A great Example of TKD would be THE Crow. He uses it alot.
Traditional Martial Arts should never be underestimated. Its really how the person applies the
technique.
anderson silva said the reason he started training for fighting was because he started in tkd at the age of 14..

http://www.ufc.com/index.cfm?fa=fighter.detail&pid=440

but the crow is a better example...

King Kabuki said:
Why do people honestly think that someone's inquiry about TKD's viability in MMA means that they're ignorant to even the very idea of MIXED Martial Arts?

I think for sake of style discussion in the future we should and can all safely assume that a thread like this is inquiring as to the proper process of blending TKD in with other fighting demensions, as opposed to spouting the same lecture that we've all read ad-nauseum that TKD alone will most-likely not win someone an MMA Title. I'm pretty positive anyone who even knows what the letters in "MMA" stand for is aware of this.

Kabuki is so right here.

I've argued both sides of this with people. On the MMA side you get plenty of people who say, "TMAs suck. Trust me. I did them for five years as a kid and didn't learn anything."

Then you'll see them in another thread saying, "Dude. I've only been training MMA for three months and my low kicks are fricken devastating. No one in the class wants to eat my low kicks."

You gotta laugh when someone can't put two and two together and come up with four.

On the opposite side you've got lots of TMA guys (and I know a lot of them) who are threatened by MMA, feel like it is morally wrong, etc, etc. And when you argue with them logically that it is really no different than something like boxing they don't have an answer for it.

Its a sport. A very brutal and demanding sport. Obviously the average recreational pratitioner is not going to take it to the level of the competitors in MMA. BUT we can pick up exercises, drills, some crosstraining that meet our needs as recreational practitioners.

I don't get what the fuss is about and why traditionalists (like myself) are so paranoid about MMA. Traditional martial arts and MMA training can and will coexist together and even be complimentary to each other. You'll have young guys transitioning into MMA and older guys who say, "My body can't take this crap any more. Hmmm this Tai Chi looks like it will work for my needs now.

I should start a TKD thread just to see it grow 10 pages of arguing.

I trained old school obscure TKD (ITF) & after I earned my 5th degree, I switched up and joined a WTF school, earning a 1st degree black belt (kukkiwon). At that time, I was stationed in DC and decided to take up MT at Capital Jiu-Jitsu in Loudoun Co, VA. Folks laughed when I told them I had a TKD background at that school but I was able to handle my own, the entire time, while enjoying the learning of new MT techniques. In fact, I kicked fast as hell and just as hard as the MT guys but had to relearn mechanics. My hands were no where as good but I picked that up fast, as well as combos, angles, clinch game, etc. But again, on day 1, I could already fight and I knew it, regardless of who else thought I would be able to. I think a lot of folks overlook us who grew up in TKD and continued training from childhood well until adulthood. Don't get me wrong, TKD isn't MMA and TKD folks aren't anywhere near conditioned to fight in that type environment. But TKD is a good style and it has its utility. As a cop, I never had a problem fighting people resisting arrest either, even on the ground. I always trained Hapkido with TKD so maybe that' why. In late age, I have picked up Judo and BJJ. I prefer Judo even though it' hard as hell on the body. BJJ is awesome on the ground. Regardless, TKD gave me a warrior's mindset and I've been able to apply it everywhere. So, I don't know what professional fighters have a TKD background but I do know, I have enjoyed a personal amount of success in my own martial arts journey outside of TKD and I am certain it has helped. It has also helped me in my military, local law enforcement and federal careers.

Most people in life have absolutely no training. You take a TKD guy who hits the gym, constantly trains, and gets real world street experience and that TKD guy will use what he knows and adapt accordingly. Just like any other martial artist from any other style will do.

Back