Taijutsu

That's what happens when people are not exposed to the realities of full contact, especially the instructor. It only takes one student to strike for real and connect then the whole shebang crumbles apart.

Highly possible that the group is not mainstream bujinkan hombu (headquarters) affiliated. Probably its offshoots, toshindo, etc.
It does not matter if it is not hombu- those guys are not any better. It's all larping- and if you are ok with that- I have no problem. If you really think you are learning something useful- I'm sorry.

It does not matter if it is not hombu- those guys are not any better. It's all larping- and if you are ok with that- I have no problem. If you really think you are learning something useful- I'm sorry.

Not that. Hombu guys don't have the balls to pad up like that and roughhouse. They're too deadly to spar, y'see...

I'm guessing it's Bujinkan or Jinenkan or Genbukan form of Budo Taijutsu aka Ninjutsu. If so I did it for many years and it's bullshit.

Nope. I've trained it with some serious, hombu dojo connected guys while I was in college- its all BS. I could go into much greater detail- but the cliffnotes version are- it's all BS. Ninja larping.

Now, if somebody knows that- and still wants to train it anyway, as an "art"- I won't judge them. I study a stick fighting art that I mostly enjoy for the lock flows and combinations, which are not very practical to stick fighting but still highly enjoyable to me. It's cool as shit to see how everything comes together (Modern Arnis). However- I don't delude myself to believe I can take on 5 people wielding sticks and knives.
They had a Discovery channel show where these 2 guys would learn a martial art and compete in it every episode. They did a Ninjutsu one and there was no real sparring but the 2 guys on the show (an MMA fighter and a football player) still beat the ninja guys. The grandmaster wasn't content being filthy rich as it was so he went ahead and added 5 more black belt degrees after 10. I've heard in recent years they may have even moved it up to 20 degrees now.

It should start at 34:00

They had a Discovery channel show where these 2 guys would learn a martial art and compete in it every episode. They did a Ninjutsu one and there was no real sparring but the 2 guys on the show (an MMA fighter and a football player) still beat the ninja guys. The grandmaster wasn't content being filthy rich as it was so he went ahead and added 5 more black belt degrees after 10. I've heard in recent years they may have even moved it up to 20 degrees now.

It should start at 34:00

10th dan and loses to a first timer? lmfaoooo... these guys re serius larpers.

That's the basic problem with ninjutsu. Many of their fighting guards/stances have their lead hand near chin level, yet they teach their blocks as having to wind up, meaning from chin level their hand has to drop down then whip up afterwards. Stupid and dangerous if you ask me.

Even AKBAN, the Israeli ninjutsu organization currently known as the most hardcore of the ninja bunch (they spar and stuff) don't use this fundamental and commonly taught technique when they spar/fight.

ths poor lady, I hope she doesnt buy into her ninja hype and try to ninjitsu someone...

Be sure to show us the video when the boy shows up to his first bjj class with a black belt on.

To be fair, the Bussey guys were tougher than the average 90s ninja.

That's the thing I think. Obviously the king fu, karate etc guys in UFC 1 to 3 go demolished by bjj, wrestling, etc.

But like I think they showed some of them could at least win bar fights vs schlubs. Like I'm sure Scott jennum and keith hackney could handle themselves vs untrained idiots back then. A small moral victory by today's standards, no?

That's the thing I think. Obviously the king fu, karate etc guys in UFC 1 to 3 go demolished by bjj, wrestling, etc.

But like I think they showed some of them could at least win bar fights vs schlubs. Like I'm sure Scott jennum and keith hackney could handle themselves vs untrained idiots back then. A small moral victory by today's standards, no?

Yeah.

That point TKD guy who fought Varelans was another good example. He landed a LOT of punches against a guy twice his size who could absorb massive amounts of punishment.

And Hackney was a genuinely good fighter for that period. He gave Gracie a lot of trouble.

I'm a black belt on Bujinkan budo taijutsu. I trained it when i was 17-20 or so because it was fun and the only thing that was taught close to where i lived.

It's all about the kata and the "tradition". So it's good for entertainment, a bit of a work out, a bit of movement, coordination, footwork, rolling and breakfalling. But make no mistake: it's not fighting, it's not deadly and it's not a combat sport either.
There's some "hardcore" dojos but they are the minority and still, they are no substitute for actual combat sports or actual fighting training. In the few places that have sparring, they'd still get molested by random bjj white belts or boxers.

The main issue with them is that they really take the LARPing way too far and have a cult mentality. I remember how disorieted and offended they where when i told them "If you want to be a modern ninja, join the army/navy/airforce and become a ranger/superman/seal instead of working on wristlocks that only work on 14 year old drunk girls".

Holy shit... is people still falling for that shit?

Actually it does teach people how to beat multiple attackers. I'm pretty sure with them following that teacher I could beat them all at once LOL.

How come every Ninjitsu teacher I've ever seen is a fat, white dude? I've never in my life seen a Japanese ninja.

I think I'd rather LARP. At least that way you get to use magic also.

How come every Ninjitsu teacher I've ever seen is a fat, white dude? I've never in my life seen a Japanese ninja.

I think I'd rather LARP. At least that way you get to use magic also.

Roll doubles for a crit!

Roll doubles for a crit!
giphy.gif

I only ever run d20 playa.

I met one of these guys when I was in college about 20 years ago. He was some type of taijitsu guy and he was teaching out of the wrestling room in the school. At that point I only did full contact karate and I was curious about what he was teaching. It was a bunch of wrist locks on willing partners and showing people how to break fall mainly. I knew he was full of shit the moment he said he could ground grapple with multiple opponents. I asked him to show us some of this multiple attacker ground grappling. He countered that none of the people were advanced enough and we would get too hurt attempting it.

I went in to watch my friends son train. This is the type of stuff they were doing.

Everytime I see something like that I`d like to hide under the bed for having trained Ninjutsu for years. To my defense I was in an irish organization were the coaches
near all consisted out of ex military from Great Britain and physical intensity was every bit as demanding as Wrestling/Boxing training.
Taijutsu is considered to be the simple physical aspect of moving and strenght Training. Like rolls , jumps...etc any sort of strengh and cardio development.
It doesnt make any sense to call an MA Taijutsu.

Problem is there was a big split in the early 90s in Ninjutsu because the Hombu Dojo lowered standards more and more under Masaaki Hatsumi (I dont consider him a legit teacher) to make cash and Ninjutsu got to be the joke it mostly is nowadays. The lineage died with Takamatsu Toshitsugu who, if any evidence is to be believed was a high level ma practitioner.
Most serious practitioners split with the hombu Dojo. Many stopped training Ninjutsu and others formed their own independent groups. Ist mostly shit nowadays and a complete Ninja larping esoteric joke in my city.

My conclusion on MY Training and what Ninjutsu can be:
1) excellent physical Training (because of military history of coaches.
2) shit guard for stand up and shit positioning for ground fighting.
3) the best stick and knife fighting I have experienced to this day. Especially Hanbo short stick was very thought through.
4) excellent movement and throwing /falling training and in general fluid body movement. The throwing and stand up grappling was much more profound than any Judo I learned (was a member) back then. That really was high Level and trained in full resistance drills.
5) very rare hard sparring but live drills with full force. no distance / timing training at all. So in truth we were crappy fighters.
6) Fixation on small Joint Manipulation regarding
7) forget groundfighting. Because of nonexistent positioning it was crap.

I profited enormous from the training. Much more than Judo and Karate and now that I restarted MA after many years with Boxing what I instantly see is that my ninutsu training helps me a lot in the way I learned to move but not in the way I executed techniques (that was mostly crap).

A simple way to see if the Ninjutsu coach is for real: ask for a live sparring with a coach. Near all good coaches never had a problem with that and you could do a kind of kickboxing or Judo fight.

hope that helps. I would say the only countries were you still get quality ninjutsu in parts is England and Ireland / Scottland. United States was from the beginning concentrated on running around like a Ninja. Imo the strongest part of a good Ninjutsu training is the Judo part.

Last edited:
OK.

So this video is a little misleading when you start watching. At the start, I thought, jeez, crock-of-shit mcdojo. But then, halfway through, he admits that it's the 'traditional' way of doing the technique. Then they move onto a more modern usage from a jab - cross. It's not a million miles away from rearhand boxing guard and lead parrying, but with a more lunged return.

It's not too bad.

The same with ALL traditional martial arts - there ARE applicable techniques IF you want to train them in a live format.

Here's something that most people miss, however. You get good at what you practice. So people who live spar don't necessarily get good at avoiding sucker punches or defusing aggressive situations. Most traditional places miss this too, but to implement actual good self-defense, you need to implement the mental, verbal and awareness aspects as well as the physical.

Everytime I see something like that I`d like to hide under the bed for having trained Ninjutsu for years. To my defense I was in an irish organization were the coaches
near all consisted out of ex military from Great Britain and physical intensity was every bit as demanding as Wrestling/Boxing training.
Taijutsu is considered to be the simple physical aspect of moving and strenght Training. Like rolls , jumps...etc any sort of strengh and cardio development.
It doesnt make any sense to call an MA Taijutsu.

Problem is there was a big split in the early 90s in Ninjutsu because the Hombu Dojo lowered standards more and more under Masaaki Hatsumi (I dont consider him a legit teacher) to make cash and Ninjutsu got to be the joke it mostly is nowadays. The lineage died with Takamatsu Toshitsugu who, if any evidence is to be believed was a high level ma practitioner.
Most serious practitioners split with the hombu Dojo. Many stopped training Ninjutsu and others formed their own independent groups. Ist mostly shit nowadays and a complete Ninja larping esoteric joke in my city.

My conclusion on MY Training and what Ninjutsu can be:
1) excellent physical Training (because of military history of coaches.
2) shit guard for stand up and shit positioning for ground fighting.
3) the best stick and knife fighting I have experienced to this day. Especially Hanbo short stick was very thought through.
4) excellent movement and throwing /falling training and in general fluid body movement. The throwing and stand up grappling was much more profound than any Judo I learned (was a member) back then. That really was high Level and trained in full resistance drills.
5) very rare hard sparring but live drills with full force. no distance / timing training at all. So in truth we were crappy fighters.
6) Fixation on small Joint Manipulation regarding
7) forget groundfighting. Because of nonexistent positioning it was crap.

I profited enormous from the training. Much more than Judo and Karate and now that I restarted MA after many years with Boxing what I instantly see is that my ninutsu training helps me a lot in the way I learned to move but not in the way I executed techniques (that was mostly crap).

A simple way to see if the Ninjutsu coach is for real: ask for a live sparring with a coach. Near all good coaches never had a problem with that and you could do a kind of kickboxing or Judo fight.

hope that helps. I would say the only countries were you still get quality ninjutsu in parts is England and Ireland / Scottland. United States was from the beginning concentrated on running around like a Ninja. Imo the strongest part of a good Ninjutsu training is the Judo part.
I was going to say probably the best part of TaiJutsu would be the parts that Kano Sensei incorporated into the Kodokan.

Personally I had a blast learning the Nage No Kata way back when. My first coach did something besides Judo(TikiJutsu or something or other) after he won his national weight division back in the 70's and he really stressed the refinement of our movement. He coached a student up to the nationals with that system so he got something right.

Larger point is there's good physical training with the right coach in all that ancient stuff, but it has to be combined with real Randori.

OK.

So this video is a little misleading when you start watching. At the start, I thought, jeez, crock-of-shit mcdojo. But then, halfway through, he admits that it's the 'traditional' way of doing the technique. Then they move onto a more modern usage from a jab - cross. It's not a million miles away from rearhand boxing guard and lead parrying, but with a more lunged return.

It's not too bad.

The same with ALL traditional martial arts - there ARE applicable techniques IF you want to train them in a live format.

Here's something that most people miss, however. You get good at what you practice. So people who live spar don't necessarily get good at avoiding sucker punches or defusing aggressive situations. Most traditional places miss this too, but to implement actual good self-defense, you need to implement the mental, verbal and awareness aspects as well as the physical.

He wasn't talking about performing a jab or a cross, he was talking about using their technique to counter them. And it was clear that their concept of both a jab and a cross were extending your arm while literally walking into your opponent with it. The students weren't even aware that your back foor stays on the damn floor for a cross. The guy wasn't showing a more modern version of an outdated technique; he was shoehorning the crap technique to be used against real punches, while simultaneously not knowing how those punches are thrown and assuming them to be inferior.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ljae89
Back