takedowns against a retreating opponent

cjd

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Hi everyone - I'm a (former) collegiate wrestler and a brown belt.

I've always found working takedowns against Jiu Jitsu guys to be highly frustrating - they rarely, if ever, move forward, or meet forward pressure with forward pressure. I see a lot of backing up and trying to parry the hands... A lot of my preferred attacks (duck unders, freeze fake doubles, knee pulls) rely on releasing forward pressure, or the person trying to put their hands on me. I can usually get the takedown, but it tends to be more scrambly and improvised than I'd like. Against more athletic/assertive guys (read: good competitors), I find that I often struggle.

Any thoughts on how to approach this?

I've always found working takedowns against Jiu Jitsu guys to be highly frustrating - they rarely, if ever, move forward, or meet forward pressure with forward pressure. I see a lot of backing up and trying to parry the hands... A lot of my preferred attacks (duck unders, freeze fake doubles, knee pulls) rely on releasing forward pressure, or the person trying to put their hands on me. I can usually get the takedown, but it tends to be more scrambly and improvised than I'd like. Against more athletic/assertive guys (read: good competitors), I find that I often struggle.

In Freestyle and Greco you can push your opponent out of bounds for a point, in MMA you can drive your opponent against the cage. I do not know what the rules are in Jiu Jistu but I would continue to push the guy out of bounds, make him look like an idiot.

In Freestyle and Greco you can push your opponent out of bounds for a point, in MMA you can drive your opponent against the cage. I do not know what the rules are in Jiu Jistu but I would continue to push the guy out of bounds, make him look like an idiot.

Yeah, they don't care.

Yeah, they don't care.

Use your ties, as he is backing up keep beating on the head and try for a front head lock. Underhook, over under, Russian tie, force him to stay close to you, if he continues to back up he will be forced to bend over, then snap him into a front headlock.

The clinch is your friend

Get a baseball bat tie or Russian in one arm and stop them from being bitches lol

You have to keep snapping them down and making them bring the feet forward as a block, so that you can attack with ankle picks single legs and reaps.

Best way to deal with the uber defensive ‘angry crab’ BJJ stand up posture IMO.

The best way to make superior wrestling count in a jiu jitsu match is to sit on your arse and shoot from there.

Ankle picks, knee taps, and low singles are actually easier when your opponent is retreating, and you can hit all from the open or with minimal clinching.

You have to keep snapping them down and making them bring the feet forward as a block, so that you can attack with ankle picks single legs and reaps.

Best way to deal with the uber defensive ‘angry crab’ BJJ stand up posture IMO.

Ankle picks, knee taps, and low singles are actually easier when your opponent is retreating, and you can hit all from the open or with minimal clinching.

Interesting. I usually find them to be very upright as well. Hard to snap down.

Interesting. I usually find them to be very upright as well. Hard to snap down.

If you have a good upper body tie, and you make their upper body a part of your upper body they are going to have to bend to keep their hips away from you, when they bend, sanp them down. If they don't bend, attack their waist and throw.

Then just feint and level change at them as they retreat and look for openings

That’s what I do. What do you feel the best attack from there is? I remember that on one of the old granby videos they said the high crotch was the best shot against a retreating opponent.

I was never much more then a guy who wrestled a "little" bit in high school, but I find it so odd how sport jiu jitsu kind of takes takedowns out of the equation by allowing guard pulling and not imposing some kind of point deduction for a competitor moving backwards out of bounds .

Enforcing boundaries would force take downs and for people to develop take down defense and counter wrestling, which are key components for someone to be able to successfully employ their grappling in mma or a self defense situation.

I am also from the school of thought that if I go for a sweep and its a threat enough for you to have to disengage, stand up and turn your back and run away then i should be rewarded at least a half a point if not a whole point. For example a guy like Jeff Glover frequently gets to deep half guard, comes up on a single leg and his opponent turns their back and Literally runs away to stop the sweep, IMO that should be worth something.

Anyway, rant over lmao

That’s what I do. What do you feel the best attack from there is? I remember that on one of the old granby videos they said the high crotch was the best shot against a retreating opponent.
I just stay calm and grab a tie and drag them in if they keep being a bitch. I take and feint solid real low singles in good position until I get them

Back