Talking Heads vs The Police

Rimbaud82

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Two of the best 'New Wave' bands of all time. The Police arguably the quintessential new wave band from the UK and Talking Heads likewise on their side of the atlantic. Both similar in the way that they incorporated non-western influences into their music (reggae for The Police, but also some african influences after their debut, and obviously huge african influence for Talking Heads). Obviously that was nothing new for the time, but definitely two of the most successful.

The music is also very catchy...mostly fun reggae-rock for The Police, slightly paranoid funk-punk/pop for the Heads. Both also have unique singers with 'unique' personalities. I'll try post one song from their best LPs to try be representative (or their first few anyway), but I think there is a limit to how many you can have in one post so I might have to split it into two posts.

Talking Heads:

Man.... I'd say Talking Heads for the most part. Although I really do dig The Police on certain days.

The Talking Heads are one of my favs, so I'd have to go with them. I like the Police, too, but just not on the same level.

I generally don't like nerd rock plus the TH's used alot of session musicians while the police as far as I know did it on their own. I guess some of TH's stuff is still really good tho.

Talking Heads especially with Bernie Worrell on keys

Pretty good comparison really, one I hadn't really thought about. I'm definitely more familiar with the Talking Heads, but just within the last couple of months, I've been listening to The Police's back catalogue. I'll admit that Sting's voice is what has kept me from really getting into thm. But I'm finding beyond that, there are some really great songs (besides the Hits that I'm familiar with.)

I love The Police. I had a Talking Heads itch years ago, and I love them, but I find myself going back to The Police every so often; not so much the Talking Heads.
But now that this thread has begun, I feel like I have to revisit them.

The Police by very slight margin for me

Good thread, but the answer is self evident.

Last edited:
Talking Heads for me. I never got the Police. I just don't like their music.

The Police and it's not even close, my love for Stars and Stripes be damned.

Talking Heads all day every day. Let us not forget that The Police made Sting famous. A man so monumentally smug and pretentious he made Bono and that cunt from Pearl Jam look humble

lmao Talking Heads first 5 albums are all better than the best album The Police has done. It's not even close.

Lots of nostalgia for both, but I think the Police had more hits.

The police for me

Back