Talking Heads vs The Police

lmao Talking Heads first 5 albums are all better than the best album The Police has done. It's not even close.

I think you meant to say that the first four Police records are all better than the best record the TH's ever did. And not even close.

Devo was better than Talking Heads. Blondie was better, for chrissakes. Even the damned Cars give them a run for their money.

I think you meant to say that the first four Police records are all better than the best record the TH's ever did. And not even close.

Devo was better than Talking Heads. Blondie was better, for chrissakes. Even the damned Cars give them a run for their money.
If Talking Heads only had done Remain In Light they would be the better band. That one album destroys everything The Police has done
the fuck you talking

<31>

If Talking Heads only had done Remain In Light they would be the better band. That one album destroys everything The Police has done
the fuck you talking

Just the objective assessment of musicianship places the Police far ahead, instrument for instrument. Including lead vocal.

And as far as songwriting goes, if you prefer Byrne's talking monotone over Sting's unforgettable melodies or the Head's meandering repetition over the Police's tight hooks... whatever floats your boat I guess.

As a huge Bowie fan my greatest disappointment was learning that he was actually inspired by the Talking Heads later in his career. :)

And as a huge Radiohead fan I was dumbfounded to discover that Yorke thought Remain In Light was a brilliant record. :(

I don't get them. Same with Springsteen. And the Dead. Some consider those artists untouchable, essential geniuses. But their music does not move me in any meaningful way. In fact, most of it makes me cringe.

Different strokes for different folks I guess.

(Speaking of which, the Strokes are another NYC band that blows Talking Heads out of the water. IMO.)

As a huge Bowie fan my greatest disappointment was learning that he was actually inspired by the Talking Heads later in his career. :)

And as a huge Radiohead fan I was dumbfounded to discover that Yorke thought Remain In Light was a brilliant record. :(

I don't get them. Same with Springsteen. And the Dead. Some consider those artists untouchable, essential geniuses. But their music does not move me in any meaningful way. In fact, most of it makes me cringe.

(Speaking of which, the Strokes are another NYC band that blows Talking Heads out of the water. IMO.)

Interesting, in a weird way I guess. Perhaps I'll reply in length tomorrow when I'm not on my phone.

Ps. Radio head is a Talking Heads song...

Just the objective assessment of musicianship places the Police far ahead, instrument for instrument. Including lead vocal.

And as far as songwriting goes, if you prefer Byrne's talking monotone over Sting's unforgettable melodies or the Head's meandering repetition over the Police's tight hooks... whatever floats your boat I guess...(Speaking of which, the Strokes are another NYC band that blows Talking Heads out of the water. IMO.)

giphy.gif

"Life during wartime" and "Once in a lifetime seals it for me".

Talking Heads FTW.

Heads vs Police; I see punk vs pop. Heads via KO

You're smoking crack if you think Harrison, Weymouth, Frantz and Byrne are objectively more accomplished on their instruments than Summers, Sting (bass), Copeland and Sting (vocals) respectively.

Even the TH's themselves would reject that assertion. As their thing was never musical virtuosity.

Police were better musicians.
I like both bands, but slight edge to the Police, via better at their craft.

You're smoking crack if you think Harrison, Weymouth, Frantz and Byrne are objectively more accomplished on their instruments than Summers, Sting (bass), Copeland and Sting (vocals) respectively.

Even the TH's themselves would reject that assertion. As their thing was never musical virtuosity.

Fuck instrument to instrument, give me straight up instrumentals from their songs and I'll take Talking Heads. I'll take Byrne's voice over Sting's no problem. I like both, but I certainly prefer Byrne. If you haven't been moved by anything from the TH then something might be wrong with you. I can even be moved by a silly song like Wild Wild Life. It's scientific. If a song like This Must Be the Place (Naive Melody) doesn't move you at all, then you're probably dead inside.

If a song like This Must Be the Place (Naive Melody) doesn't move you at all, then you're probably dead inside.

This is actually a perfect example of the TH's approach to songwriting: Take a single groove or a single riff motif and just repeat it over and over until it's run into the ground.

With a lot of Police stuff you get a killer intro, a killer verse, a killer chorus and maybe one or two killer bridges. And each change is not simply a slight variation on the others but an outstanding section of music in its own right.

And the pop genius of the Police was their ability to often do all this within just three and a half minutes.

Behold sonic brilliance.

This is actually a perfect example of the TH's approach to songwriting: Take a single groove or a single riff motif and just repeat it over and over until it's run into the ground.

That song is one of their lightest arrangements, but who cares anyways? It's an awesome song. One of the best of the '80s. Songs don't need to be overly complicated to be fucking great. A lot of times when you try to do too much you strip away the soul from a song. I don't know why you feel the need to try to put down a great band to pump The Police up. I don't have to do to that. I recognize that they're both great, but just that I prefer TH.

If you don't agree that the great curve stomps everything The Police has ever done I have only one question for you:

Do you even music?

Back