Tall with short reach (boxing style)

Lord Stalone

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
I am 183 cm tall with a reach of 183 cm.
I usually fight short guys, but some have a longer reach than me, and guys my height almost always have a reach advantage.
Can I be an out-boxer? Are there any out-boxers in history that don't have a reach advantage?

I usually fight short guys, but some have a longer reach than me, and guys my height almost always have a reach advantage.
Can I be an out-boxer? Are there any out-boxers in history that don't have a reach advantage?
Just work with what you got.

i'm in the same boat, i started sparring 2 weeks ago and i just cant stick to the outside using reach to get shots in, found out by doing side by comparisons with the guys i sparred that even though ive got inches on their height, our arms are the same lengths. So annoying. Hoping people on here have experience with this or any advice for us.

i'm in the same boat, i started sparring 2 weeks ago and i just cant stick to the outside using reach to get shots in, found out by doing side by comparisons with the guys i sparred that even though ive got inches on their height, our arms are the same lengths. So annoying. Hoping people on here have experience with this or any advice for us.
Just bang harder

Did you ask your coach for advice? If you don't want, or don't have success, with jabbing from distance lateral movement and countering are options, but they're hard to pull off and once you get tired you tend to lose discipline and sparring for learning turns into gassed brawling. If your sparring partner isn't aggressive you can learn a lot of what works by just moving around and throwing feelers.

Fuck, I've been avoiding the stand-up forum for a couple of years because I've got heavy into my lifting and American football to the exclusion of fighting.

I do occasionally still spar and I have 13 amateur bouts under my belt, which is the tiny well I'm drawing from.

The most annoying thing about this forum is people coming in after a few weeks training and asking the same fucking dumb questions. That's why after posting this I'm out again.

Your Answer:

1: there is a search feature on this Web page, before you post a question that is so innane that hundreds of newbs will have posted it before, do a search, out of courtesy.

2: range is not just determined by your arm length but your torso width and more importantly in your case, the position of your hips between your lead and back foot, and the angle of your upper torso. It's influenced by your movement, your accuracy and power also.

Do it enough and you'll have the answers to your questions.

Artem Lobov called, he said he wants his thread back.

Artem Lobov called, he said he wants his thread back.
fF5Gi5n.jpg

Yes you can, you need to be the better boxer though, or have a speed advantage.

Have to agree with @Phlog

The near exact identical question was posted not long ago with good answers.

Would not hurt to use search function.

Back