Tank: I'm ready for Lomachenko

Who said Lomachenko has to vacate? Has he said he won't fight at 130 after the Linares fight?

He doesn't plan to return to 130. It was announced prior to him moving up that he wanted to unify 135 and he stated his intention to unify 135 again recently. As for Tank Davis now wanting this fight, I predicted this would happen before his move to Lightweight. It's very easy to say when the other guy has left the division, and to boot, add a condition that can't be met (neither is anywhere near a PPV fighter).

Tank did just get an offer yesterday from Loma to move up to 135 (where it's actually more advantageous for Tank given his past weight issues) and fight him. He'll need to win a title there first, however. It's the same thing Mikey asked of Loma and what he's doing. If these guys are that good then winning a title a division higher is no big deal. Most fighters would target the weakest titleholder of the pack. In this case Davis could go after an old Beltran for the WBO title (if Floyd works with DuBoef) and then fight Loma in a unification (he'll beat Linares) if he really wants that fight. Tank wants the winner of Farmer-Dib next at 130.

Pressure, body shots, and some dirty ruffian inside fighting, patched with his power....I think Davis could beat Loma
Well... you've got to get inside first, and good fucking luck with that.

Tank's power makes it interesting on paper, but I don't picture Davis focused enough to keep up if things don't go his way. And they won't. I can picture a No mas or some serious bed crapping from him.

Tank's power makes it interesting on paper, but I don't picture Davis focused enough to keep up if things don't go his way. And they won't. I can picture a No mas or some serious bed crapping from him.

Davis has shown some bad signs, but I think it's a wait and see type of deal with him as far as his attitude and discipline go. After all, he's only had one real slip up in preparation (regardless of how big a stage that was), and he still stopped him opponent in that fight (given his age and background, I don't think he should be written off just yet).He's a genuinely talented fighter outside of everything else; more talented than someone like Broner. As for beating Lomachenko, I'm not sure if anyone in the sport anywhere under WW can do it, let alone someone as raw and temperamental as Davis.

Also, just a general comment on Broner (not that it has anything to do with anything anyone said in this thread). I think a lot of people look at him as a massive talent who wasted his ability due to stupidity, a lack of discipline, etc. I don't think he was ever a massive talent, or that he has really underachieved that much. He's simply a dumb fighter (I'm reminded of the old hockey quote: "you can't teach speed and you can't fix stupid") with some decent physical abilities (people ignore that maybe the best of these abilities is his chin) and slightly above average skill. A guy like Davis clearly has more ability in my view. How that ability translates into results is yet to be seen.

Last edited:
Davis has shown some bad signs, but I think it's a wait and see type of deal with him as far as his attitude and discipline go. After all, he's only had one real slip up in preparation (regardless of how big a stage that was), and he still stopped him opponent in that fight. He's a genuinely talented fighter outside of everything else; more talented than someone like Broner. As for beating Lomachenko, I'm not sure if anyone in the sport anywhere under WW can do it, let alone someone as raw and temperamental as Davis.

Agreed. Maybe we were a tad harsh on Davis (man, I fucking hated his botched fight), and he can still rack some quality wins provided he doesn't get above 135. That being said, some occasional lack of focus is a killer concern against Loma. I give Linares a better shot, and I don't give Jorge much of a shot TBH. He'll show some consistency as long as he's not tired, but he'll get hit plenty and I don't think he'll have the pop to put Loma in an uncomfortable place. Loma's chin at 135 is the pretty much the only question mark, provided anyone lands big on him.

Agreed. Maybe we were a tad harsh on Davis (man, I fucking hated his botched fight), and he can still rack some quality wins provided he doesn't get above 135. That being said, some occasional lack of focus is a killer concern against Loma. I give Linares a better shot, and I don't give Jorge much of a shot TBH. He'll show some consistency as long as he's not tired, but he'll get hit plenty and I don't think he'll have the pop to put Loma in an uncomfortable place. Loma's chin at 135 is the pretty much the only question mark, provided anyone lands big on him.

Linares is the kind of guy that I'll never have any faith in against a genuinely good fighter, and Lomachenko is likely genuinely great. The fact he has never taken damage well in the past and that he doesn't box consistently against somewhat mediocre opposition puts his chances against Lomachenko very, very low in my eyes, but then again, I've never had much of any faith in Linares as a genuine top fighter.

As for Davis having the kind of focus in-ring to compete with a guy like Lomachenko, there are some signs which don't bode well for him. Having said that, often the only way we ever really figure out what a fighter has is when he is confronted with a genuine challenge, and maybe Davis would meet it well. What is clear is that Davis could definitely use a lot more time to hone his craft and show some type of consistency before being thrown in with Lomachenko. Lomachenko found out himself that rushing things isn't always a good idea, after all. That's not to say that Davis should avoid Lomachenko indefinitely, but Pedroza (the best opponent he's had in my view) to Lomachenko is a ridiculous leap in quality for a 23 year old.

I have Loma winning comfortably but Tank def has the prerequisites. Huge power. Fast hands. Willing to go to the body.

But...I'm not sure about his heart/focus.

I could see him getting schooled and deciding to mail it in and abandon the gameplan when he easily possesses the power/speed to put Loma down regardless of the round.

I'm not sleeping on him though...at the end of the day, he has the physical tools to beat Loma.

tank has some aaron pyror in him. imo, this fight will be nothing like toney/rjj, james claiing that he was dead at the weight, nor like loma russell jr.

most appear not to be giving tank much of a chance but i believe that this is the best fight in boxing after joshua/wilder

tank has some aaron pyror in him. imo, this fight will be nothing like toney/rjj, james claiing that he was dead at the weight, nor like loma russell jr.

most appear not to be giving tank much of a chance but i believe that this is the best fight in boxing after joshua/wilder

I like the optimism, but Pryor was a phenomenon. Davis is actually pretty measured. Nice fighter and talented, but Pryor was crazy.

Linares is the kind of guy that I'll never have any faith in against a genuinely good fighter, and Lomachenko is likely genuinely great. The fact he has never taken damage well in the past and that he doesn't box consistently against somewhat mediocre opposition puts his chances against Lomachenko very, very low in my eyes, but then again, I've never had much of any faith in Linares as a genuine top fighter.

As for Davis having the kind of focus in-ring to compete with a guy like Lomachenko, there are some signs which don't bode well for him. Having said that, often the only way we ever really figure out what a fighter has is when he is confronted with a genuine challenge, and maybe Davis would meet it well. What is clear is that Davis could definitely use a lot more time to hone his craft and show some type of consistency before being thrown in with Lomachenko. Lomachenko found out himself that rushing things isn't always a good idea, after all. That's not to say that Davis should avoid Lomachenko indefinitely, but Pedroza (the best opponent he's had in my view) to Lomachenko is a ridiculous leap in quality for a 23 year old.

there is no 130 that can prepare davis for the footwork of lomachenko just the same as there is no 130 that can prepare vasyl for the power, in both hands, of gevonta davis

i like daivs in this spot as a +400, more so as a +700 before the cuellar fight, where former trainer robert garcia was giving the argentenian a good chance of winning before jesus was comletely blown out of the water.

I like the optimism, but Pryor was a phenomenon. Davis is actually pretty measured. Nice fighter and talented, but Pryor was crazy.

they both have crazy power via hooks in both hands, pryor also having that incredible punch output

if tank has the punch resistance of the hawk and could get to an 800 punch output in the fight he could win a war of attrition against loma.

they both have crazy power via hooks in both hands, pryor also having that incredible punch output

if tank has the punch resistance of the hawk and could get to an 800 punch output in the fight he could win a war of attrition against loma.

Okay, lol. If Davis can reivent himself as a crazy man with an insane output, power, skill, great footwork, and batshit tenacity, then he might be Aaron Pryor.

there is no 130 that can prepare davis for the footwork of lomachenko just the same as there is no 130 that can prepare vasyl for the power, in both hands, of gevonta davis

i like daivs in this spot as a +400, more so as a +700 before the cuellar fight, where former trainer robert garcia was giving the argentenian a good chance of winning before jesus was comletely blown out of the water.

Davis will never be ready for Lomachenko; you're right. Davis is more dangerous than a lot of other opponents (including Linares), but he needs more work. Doen't mean that a man with moxie and power can't beat a prodigy.

Okay, lol. If Davis can reivent himself as a crazy man with an insane output, power, skill, great footwork, and batshit tenacity, then he might be Aaron Pryor.

wtf?

i said that tank has some aaron pryor in him. i never said that he was aaron pryor.

they both throw hooks from unusual angles and both have legit ko power in both hands, the later in itself unusual at 130 pounds and one of the factors that made pryor special

i have no idea what is so lol about what im pointing out.

Loma destroys him. 3 rounds of punching shadows and he will be broken

I don’t see Davis promotion or Floyd wanting him to take that fight for many years.

I like the fight a lot, Davis vs Loma just makes me as a boxing fan go crazy, so much fucking talent in the ring.

Still, the more Loma fights, the more difficult it'll be to beat him, little by little he becomes more versed in the pro game, the guys confidence grows so much from fight to fight that he felt he could take on fucking Salido in a 12 rounder in his second professional fight.

I am going to go against the current and say that if Davis wants any chance of winning this fight he needs to fight him as soon as possible. Loma is still in his prime and the more he fights the more unbeatable he'll be until he slows down due to age, Davis will also get better but no way at the rate of Lomachenko.

wtf?

i said that tank has some aaron pryor in him. i never said that he was aaron pryor.

they both throw hooks from unusual angles and both have legit ko power in both hands, the later in itself unusual at 130 pounds and one of the factors that made pryor special

i have no idea what is so lol about what im pointing out.

The point is that Davis and Pryor don't really have much in common.

Back