Teach Me Basic Wrestling Technique--Arm Spin Throw

SummerStriker

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
Long time, no see.

I'm working on my arm spin throw. Here are a couple videos, so you can see what I'm talking about:

My question is about foot placement. I do mine more like in the second video, with my feet going to the outside of the opponent's lead foot. Notice in the Kolat video, he places his feet between the opponent's feet, as you would with some other throws.

It is my experience that the angle you get by stepping to the outside allows you to create a gentler throw. The way it is performed in the Kolat video is much higher amplitude and the opponent's head passes close to the ground.

Is the Kolat video the true way, Scotsmen, or is stepping to the outside permissible for the arm spin throw?

I’m not much of a wrestler but for seoi nage; basically the judo version of this throw, you want your feet in between theirs. If you’re interested Google it, also the no gi variations there are plenty out there.

Both videos show correct technique, the "arm spin" and the "arm throw" are two different moves.

Both videos show correct technique, the "arm spin" and the "arm throw" are two different moves.

Oh, well then.

Now that you say it, I can see more of the differences. I was too focused on the initial foot placement with the Kolat video before.

Why do you use one over the other? Seems like they serve mostly the same role.

I’m not much of a wrestler but for seoi nage; basically the judo version of this throw, you want your feet in between theirs. If you’re interested Google it, also the no gi variations there are plenty out there.

Judo also differentiates them, Ippon seoi-nage and Uchi-makikomi - from what little I've seen of wrestling, the Uchi-makikomi / Arm spin seems more popular, from experience I've found it difficult to maintain the connection on Ippon Seoi-nage / Arm throw without a judo gi to add friction.

Judo also differentiates them, Ippon seoi-nage and Uchi-makikomi - from what little I've seen of wrestling, the Uchi-makikomi / Arm spin seems more popular, from experience I've found it difficult to maintain the connection on Ippon Seoi-nage / Arm throw without a judo gi to add friction.

Thanks for the tip about Uchi-makikomi. I'd never seen that, but it is much close to what I was taught as a no gi arm spin throw.

Oh, well then.

Now that you say it, I can see more of the differences. I was too focused on the initial foot placement with the Kolat video before.

Arm throw gets more amplitude and is much more difficult to escape. Its harder to hit and there arent many follow up moves that can score. However, once you hit it, you can get a pin fairly easily.

Arm spin is very hard to get 5 points with but is much faster to enter into and there are many exit routes which can lead to points. You can almost never pin with an arm spin

Arm throw gets more amplitude and is much more difficult to escape. Its harder to hit and there arent many follow up moves that can score. However, once you hit it, you can get a pin fairly easily.

Arm spin is very hard to get 5 points with but is much faster to enter into and there are many exit routes which can lead to points. You can almost never pin with an arm spin

Thanks for the tip boss. The full arm throw scared me anyway 8D. I think it would kill me.

You rarely see arm throws succeed at a high level, but the times they do, it's often thanks to the victor trapping their arm in some way (like with an overtie), giving them the grip to put leverage into the throw without slipping off.

I consider arm spins to actually be sort of like a funk roll (or deep half/rdlr roll under if you will), but with the arms; when done right it basically puts you behind the opponent in arm drag position with an angle to their back.

Last edited:
Oh, well then.

Wrestler here. I like the arm spin because you can't get seat belted as a counter, and if you don't get it, you can spin all the way through and faceplant your opponent or at worst come out the back door

Back