teachers have to get second job in oklahoma

Terrible..

I have done personal taxes for teachers ...and yea , the conventional wisdom is accurate. They make shit.

Often underpaid and often underappreciated ...

Teachers are one of the many unsung heroes
I'm torn on it. They get a ton of vacation and pretty great benefits.

I'm not OK with just saying teachers deserve shitloads of money. There are a lot of bad teachers.

Yeah apparently a lot of teachers/professors in Murka are on food stamps as well.

I'm in Oklahoma. I wouldn't say broke but with issues to be resolved. It ranks 38th in per capita income. Bottom 5 are: Kentucky, Alabama, West Virginia, Arkansas, and Mississippi. The teacher issue is definitely a problem. Not a day goes by where this issue is not on the front cover of the newspaper or the news. Not really sure of how things got this bad. Lot of children going to private school. In the mean time folks in the state Congress have given themselves a raise. There was a time when oil put Oklahoma at the top of the list.

The part about, "drunk drivers go free because there is no one available to process their tickets, and the prison system is on the verge of collapse." is bullshit. There is still a lot of 'oil' money (fortunes) in these parts, just not in state government's hands.
How many tornadoes have you seen?

When I first started as a teacher, I made significantly less money as that.

However, it was at a boarding school. So, all of my expenses were covered:

- Housing
- Meals
- I used the gym on campus.
- I only went shopping, to the movies, etc. when I was on weekend duty.

Then, during my holidays, I traveled.

I was able to pay off my college loans pretty early too.

I highly suggest those right out of college who want to teach start looking at working at a boarding school.

I really admire anyone who can work in a high school, elementary, or anywhere in the development stages of education.

The kind of patience, poise, and dedication the profession requires are immense.

I tip my hat to you good sir.

I really admire anyone who can work in a high school, elementary, or anywhere in the development stages of education.

The kind of patience, poise, and dedication the profession requires are immense.

I tip my hat to you good sir.

FWIW: Best year I had teaching was at a nursery school. During parent/teacher days, the conversations were "So, how's my kid?" instead of "So, how's my kid going to get into Harvard?"

Very refreshing to have parents simply asking what kind of person their child is when not at home.

How many tornadoes have you seen?

Zero in 24 years. Been through warnings and golf size hail a few times. Last May I was about 1.5 miles away from a small one when it touched down. I was actually working outdoors. I could not see it in the horizon because of the low clouds. The storm passed from West to East but no rain where I was.

I've been through 2 small earthquakes with all the current 'fracking' going on in central Oklahoma. It was like a wave ripple effect under you. Vibration. Very odd.

Teachers get 3 months off in the Summer. They can work then. They get every holiday off, and two weeks for Christmas and also a Spring Break.

They are essentially part time employees. Don't feel sorry for them.

Ok, but which parents are the ones who get the "choice"? The ones who can afford to pay a private school. What about the 65-85 percent of kids whose parents have no financial choice but to send them to public school? Those kids, and those parents, deserve for the state they live in to at least try to give them equity in education.

If no public, all those teachers be looking for clients. Who knows how they will price themselves? That 65-85% realistically will be lower. For the really downtrodden, we can give public assistance and there will be charity as well.

Teachers have been working seconds jobs since like literally forever, you gullible twat.

E01-Pilot.mkv_001227353.jpg
613.jpg

Teaching seems like such an awful profession. You go to college for 4 years, rack up studwnt debt, just to make shit money, have to spend all day on your feet, dealing with dickhead kids.
It's not so bad if you know how to run your classroom. Granted, my school's kids are better behaved than they are in other places (from what I've heard).

I was worried about this year because I have a couple of classes of remedial students who failed Algebra 1. The first week or two my colleagues kept asking me how those classes were doing because they assumed I'd hate dealing with these kids. They had this obnoxious twinkle in their eyes like they were expecting me to gripe. Outside of a couple minor things, it hasn't been too bad. The kids who don't want to do their work at least keep quiet and don't disrupt things for the students who do. And if I ask them to do their work, they always give in--at least while I'm looking.

Edit: the biggest thing for me in terms of keeping them in line is to take care of things the moment they happen. I think too many teachers give the kids a moment to get back on task; that's a mistake. If the teacher doesn't force them to do what they're supposed to be doing, of course they'll take advantage.

The article doesnt show how the 4 day school week impacts student performance.

if 5 day is superior why not make it 7?

4 day can work but requires fairly active parent engagement because the kids, even elementary school, have to do a fair amount homework over the three day break. Japan started to move away from the 5 1/2 school day when I was teaching there because the educational benefit didn’t outway the value of kids having some time to decompress and spend time with family. Also, it is hard on teachers, especially in Japan where school is year-round.

Thanks for pointing that out , so this is one more way the separation of church and state is being eroded
U wut m8?

Seperation of church and state is to keep the federal government from sponsoring a state run religion (church of england as an example) “congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof..." if people have an issue with their children being watched by a religious organization when they aren’t at school, maybe they need to take a more hamds on approach to parenting and watch their own kids

Teaching seems like such an awful profession. You go to college for 4 years, rack up studwnt debt, just to make shit money, have to spend all day on your feet, dealing with dickhead kids.

and dickhead parents.

if 4 days is superior why not make it 1?
Graduation rate hasn’t changed. Maybe 4 days is better. Seems like a good opportunity to test it. How much money would we save if this worked?

I would love to know what the salary for upper management is. IE superintendents and state education managemnt positions.

Missmanagement is the biggest problem in the US educational system. It is not the money (we spend the most per child in the world), it is not the teachers, it is the incompent goverment managers.

Terrible..

I have done personal taxes for teachers ...and yea , the conventional wisdom is accurate. They make shit.

Often underpaid and often underappreciated ...

Teachers are one of the many unsung heroes

I think the average elementary school teacher makes shit. Average for a high school teacher in my state of Illinois is over 60K. Not going to get rich but it's a decent living if both people are working. Summers off and the average pension is roughly 54K. I believe you can collect that at age 65 and have a 20 year retirement.

Not a bad gig if you ask me

I think the average elementary school teacher makes shit. Average for a high school teacher in my state of Illinois is over 60K. Not going to get rich but it's a decent living if both people are working. Summers off and the average pension is roughly 54K. I believe you can collect that at age 65 and have a 20 year retirement.

Not a bad gig if you ask me

Yea , most of the returns I did were for elementary and middle school teachers.

They averaged between 33k - 38K.

Back