Teacher's son wears a Hitler costume - Says world is "too sensitive"

Source please.

In judicial affairs, for example, support for free speech and other civil liberties eroded significantly. This trend was symbolized by the 1951 U.S. Supreme Court ruling in Dennis v. United States, which said that the free-speech rights of accused Communists could be restricted because their actions presented a clear and present danger to the government.

Americans also felt the effects of the Red Scare on a personal level, and thousands of alleged communist sympathizers saw their lives disrupted. They were hounded by law enforcement, alienated from friends and family and fired from their jobs.

https://www.history.com/topics/cold-war/red-scare

id thought it was pretty common knowledge. in some areas you wouldnt need much more than an accusation of red activity.

lol At some of these arguments here...

Why are you people talking about your grandparents? The time that your grandparents lived in is NOTHING like how it is now. This is the problem with all of these people talking about how "everyone is so sensitive today". Who is getting offended now? What are the complaints usually about?
Minorities and women are the ones who have the most complaints. They have the complaints now because they couldn't complain in the time of your grandparents. You think your grandparents ever had conversations about race and sexism? Did they have a diverse group of friends and colleagues?
Everyone is so "sensitive" now because minorities and women have more power and numbers--the shit that was cool in your grandparents day is not cool now, and now minorities are letting you know that.

My black grandfather from Mississippi told me stories about lynchings, and how he had to get out of his area because he feared for his life. His experience as an American wasn't the experience of your grandfathers. Same for many other minorities. You're hearing more "sensitive snowflakes" now because people can more freely speak their opinion. The 'good ole days' were good for white guys, much less so for women and minorities.

And this dumbass argument as if we can't all agree that some things are just flat out wrong, or offensive. This argument that "well, who gets to decide what's wrong/offensive?" Fucking, really? If you need someone to tell you that Hitler was evil, and that dressing up like him, or a Nazi is highly offensive and inappropriate, ESPECIALLY for a child, then just shoot yourself.
For a teacher to not get this, yes, she should be fired. You can't be in charge of educating children when you are this socially stupid.

And this dumbass argument as if we can't all agree that some things are just flat out wrong, or offensive. This argument that "well, who gets to decide what's wrong/offensive?" Fucking, really? If you need someone to tell you that Hitler was evil, and that dressing up like him, or a Nazi is highly offensive and inappropriate, ESPECIALLY for a child, then just shoot yourself.
For a teacher to not get this, yes, she should be fired. You can't be in charge of educating children when you are this socially stupid.
When people are fired for saying the wrong things you're sleepwalking into a totalitarian state. You see, what people like you are apparently incapable of understanding is that the issue is not whether someone's outlook is offensive or not - and in this case I'm doubtful that it was, it was just a clumsy mistake - the issue is you are agreeing that it's perfectly OK to knock down the sticking up nail. Now, depending on the direction that society moves in - and societies are not static - that sticky up nail might be someone wearing a red shirt, someone with their hair too long, someone wearing a Hitler fancy dress outfit, or someone with a #metoo hashtag on their phone. Just because at this point in time there's this crass obsession with Hitler (and I grew up in a town that was still bomb damaged from the war), it doesn't mean that in the future what's arbitrarily deemed to be 'unacceptable' won't be something else. The issue is not about a kid dressing up as Hitler. The issue is about mob rule based on the current political or social fashions of the day. And let me tell you something - when you think it's OK that people are hounded from their livelihoods because their kid wears the wrong outfit to a party, you are far, far, closer to the mindset of 1930s Germany than is the kid who is wearing the dopey Hitler outfit.

When people are fired for saying the wrong things you're sleepwalking into a totalitarian state. You see, what people like you are apparently incapable of understanding is that the issue is not whether someone's outlook is offensive or not - and in this case I'm doubtful that it was, it was just a clumsy mistake - the issue is you are agreeing that it's perfectly OK to knock down the sticking up nail. Now, depending on the direction that society moves in - and societies are not static - that sticky up nail might be someone wearing a red shirt, someone with their hair too long, someone wearing a Hitler fancy dress outfit, or someone with a #metoo hashtag on their phone. Just because at this point in time there's this crass obsession with Hitler (and I grew up in a town that was still bomb damaged from the war), it doesn't mean that in the future what's arbitrarily deemed to be 'unacceptable' won't be something else. The issue is not about a kid dressing up as Hitler. The issue is about mob rule based on the current political or social fashions of the day. And let me tell you something - when you think it's OK that people are hounded from their livelihoods because their kid wears the wrong outfit to a party, you are far, far, closer to the mindset of 1930s Germany than is the kid who is wearing the dopey Hitler outfit.
We need to be a lot more specific here. Different situations deserve different solutions. This slippery slope argument about totalitarism, as if we can't make any calls on what is clearly bad has become ridiculous. At no point is someone wearing Nazi or KKK costumes okay. It's not arbitrary. It's offensive. You are free to wear what you want, but don't cry about the backlash that society gives you for it.
We aren't talking about some abstract figure, or something from ancient times. This is a person and regime that caused immense harm to a lot of people---there are people that are still alive from that time. There are people that still wear the Nazi symbol and hate Jews.
That isn't society being "sensitive". That was you being offensive. People have a right to be offended by offensive actions.

This "when people are..." No. We're not talking about "people", we're talking about certain words, certain actions, certain people, in certain positions.
and lol, "a clumsy mistake"? Dressing your 9 year old like Hitler ? HITLER? A 9 year old? I could see a dumb high schooler, or college kid doing it--and if they admitted to poor judgment, then that's fine, no harm, no foul. But this lady, a teacher, someone that is educated and in charge of educating others, not only sees no issue with it, but doubled down on it, and said everyone else was the problem. That isn't a "clumsy mistake"

I'm not going to worry about what a garbage man says, or someone that works at a gas station (I expect little from them). And if a CEO of some company thinks dressing up like Hitler is funny, then I just won't shop at his business. But there are jobs where how you act outside of the job matters. If you are a teacher, if you are a senator, if you are a cop---you can not have these sort of public service type jobs and also have certain views, or be involved in other types of activities in your private time.

We need to be a lot more specific here. Different situations deserve different solutions. This slippery slope argument about totalitarism, as if we can't make any calls on what is clearly bad has become ridiculous
The woman wasn't wearing a Nazi uniform and attending a political rally calling for genocide. Her son was going to a Halloween party dressed up as something scary. If you can't see the difference, then God help you. Sorry, but it's true.

The woman wasn't wearing a Nazi uniform and attending a political rally calling for genocide. Her son was going to a Halloween party dressed up as something scary. If you can't see the difference, then God help you. Sorry, but it's true.

What? Did her 9 year old son put it together by himself? At some point she had to look at that costume and think "You know what? This is a great costume for my young son." A fucking Hitler costume. It's not something scary to any other kid that age because they don't know or have the capacity to understand who Hitler was. This is the worst excuse.

Nobody is saying this kid and his mom is a literal Nazi. I'm saying it is an inappropriate and offensive costume to wear for a children's holiday, and for a child to wear. There is no context where this would be an acceptable costume for a child to wear.
A person that thinks that wearing a Nazi costume is acceptable, and that it wouldn't offend people is a moron. Would a kid dressing up as an ISIS member carrying around a fake severed head be okay? Obviously I don't think that kid is literally an ISIS member--but it is an offesnive and insensitive thing to wear. Some things are not going to be found 'funny' by most people.

In the case of the Nazi costume though, there ARE actual people in America that do consdier themselves Nazis. So to dress your kid up as one, or for you, yourself to dress up as one, you can't then go "why do people think i might be a Nazi?"
There's only 2 options, you're either a Nazi, or you're a moron for dressing your kid up as one.

What? Did her 9 year old son put it together by himself? At some point she had to look at that costume and think "You know what? This is a great costume for my young son." A fucking Hitler costume. It's not something scary to any other kid that age because they don't know or have the capacity to understand who Hitler was. This is the worst excuse.
Good point.
Who exactly is this supposed to be scary to ? Hitler is known for killing Jews, the disabled, and other minorities. lol and this is the fucking costume you let your 9 year old wear?
No other child is going to know and really understand who Hitler was, and exactly what he did, and how bad it was. They do not have the capacity to joke about this--nor do most adults for that matter.
This is completely indefensible.

A fucking Hitler costume
It was just a costume. The boy was learning about WW2 in school and it was a fancy dress party. And he wasn't 9, he was 13 so yes, his peers would have known who Hitler was. Like I say, if you can't get that there's no hope. You don't know the woman; you have no idea of what she's like as a teacher or a mother; you don't even know her political views - and yet you think it's OK that she loses her livelihood over a fancy dress outfit. You should go and take a long hard look in the mirror.

It was just a costume. The boy was learning about WW2 in school and it was a fancy dress party. And he wasn't 9, he was 13 so yes, his peers would have known who Hitler was. Like I say, if you can't get that there's no hope. You don't know the woman; you have no idea of what she's like as a teacher or a mother; you don't even know her political views - and yet you think it's OK that she loses her livelihood over a fancy dress outfit. You should go and take a long hard look in the mirror.

It was a costume at a community chamber of commerce sponsored Halloween event. You know, where everyone comes together to have a good time and hang out. I may have been wrong about the kid's age, but it makes no difference. The kid isn't picking out a Hitler costume for himself, and if he is it's his parent's job to tell him why it's not a good idea.

If she has judgement bad enough to allow her son to dress as Hitler, and subsequently defend it, would you want your special needs kid in her class?

...would you want your special needs kid in her class?
I'd need to look at her teaching evaluations because they'd be the only relevant criteria. The thing is, you don't even know that the Hitler costume was her idea. Her son was 13. She says he put it together himself and, unless you have evidence to the contrary, I've no reason to doubt her. Should she have let him out of the house? Maybe not. But then again the Queen of England shouldn't have let Harry out of the house either when he dressed up as a Nazi for a fancy dress party at Oxford. These things happen. But to call for her to lose her job is just revolting in my view. Absolutely disgusting. It's the same color mindset that burned witches - just a lighter shade.

People need to come both ways. We should try to be more considerate and mindful in how we speak and behave, but we should also toughen up so we can look past or even ignore the things that offend us. In most instances, not paying attention to the things that offend is the most effective way of dealing with it.

The McCarthy witch hunts. Yes, what's your point. Apparently you want that kind of thing back again?

lol no. im just pointing out that this behavior is not new. you claimed that this type of thing was "unthinkable" 50 years ago.

Why are you people talking about your grandparents? The time that your grandparents lived in is NOTHING like how it is now. This is the problem with all of these people talking about how "everyone is so sensitive today". Who is getting offended now? What are the complaints usually about?
Minorities and women are the ones who have the most complaints. They have the complaints now because they couldn't complain in the time of your grandparents. You think your grandparents ever had conversations about race and sexism? Did they have a diverse group of friends and colleagues?
Everyone is so "sensitive" now because minorities and women have more power and numbers--the shit that was cool in your grandparents day is not cool now, and now minorities are letting you know that.

My black grandfather from Mississippi told me stories about lynchings, and how he had to get out of his area because he feared for his life. His experience as an American wasn't the experience of your grandfathers. Same for many other minorities. You're hearing more "sensitive snowflakes" now because people can more freely speak their opinion. The 'good ole days' were good for white guys, much less so for women and minorities.

Last edited:
Back