Teaching Kids Through Classic Boxing

NHB7

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
I have the wonderful privilege of coaching middle school boxing. My school is small and doesn’t have a gymnasium, so we train outside. On particularly rainy days we have to go into a classroom and can’t train on those days. So I like to show them classic fights on those days. But I’d like to be more thoughtful in the matches I show them. That is, I’d like them to watch with a critical eye and be self reflective in their own boxing styles.

So I’d love some recommendations on classic fights that you think could demonstrate some important boxing lessons (note: I’m not trying to teach them boxing history, so I’m not looking for fights just for the sake of showing them some interesting aspect of boxing history, but rather demonstrations of strategy).

Some types of fights I’d love to find (and not just a fighters name, but a specific fight that demonstrates these):

A swarmer beating a boxer puncher

A swarmer beating a slugger

A boxer puncher beating a swarmer

A boxer puncher beating a slugger

A slugger beating a swarmer

A slugger beating a boxer puncher

A boxer eviceratibg an opponent with a jab.

A boxer using various strategies to exhaust an opponent.

Great headmovement/level changes.

Great pivoting and footwork.

Awesome shows of grit/heart

A sizeably shorter fighter using various strategies to get in and beat a talker fighter.

A sizeably talker fighter using range to pick apart a smaller fighter.

Great/clever in fighting.

A fighter who is losing but makes smart adjustments to comeback and win.

Any female boxers demonstrating an important skill (I have just as many girls as boys and I’d like them to be able to have some female fighters to look up to).

Any lessons you can think of.

Last edited:
A swarmer beating a boxer puncher- Tough one. Basilio/Robinson maybe. I never get what people mean by swarmer. Basilio got in on Robinson and threw a lot of punches when he beat him.

A boxer puncher beating a swarmer- Robinson/Basilio again.

A boxer puncher beating a slugger- LEonard/Hagler or Robinbson/Fullmer Floyd/Shane

A slugger beating a boxer puncher- Hagler/Hearns

A boxer eviceratibg an opponent with a jab.- Lewis/Tua Golovkin/Lemieux

A boxer using various strategies to exhaust an opponent.- Floyd in most of his late fights.

Great headmovement/level changes.- Pernell Whitaker vs Roger MAyweather

Awesome shows of grit/heart- Castillo/Corrales 1, The Gatti/Ward series, round 2 of Floyd/Shane

A sizeably shorter fighter using various strategies to get in and beat a talker fighter.- Quintana vs Williams, Sergio vs Williams, Tyson vs anyone he beat

A sizeably talker fighter using range to pick apart a smaller fighter.- Breland vs Honeyghan

Great/clever in fighting.- Floyd/Cotto

Any lessons you can think of.
A few of my opinions in bold.

Back