technique over power.

eternaldarkness

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
one of my pet hates with a lot of boxing trainers is the myth that technique equals power. i have seen way to many people punching bags with speed and "technique" but no power. the lie being that as soon as you try to throw hard the power will automatically be there if the technique is good. the reality is that a lot of people forget everything they have learnt and go back to throwing haymakers the moment they try to hit hard. you see it all the time in low level amateur boxing. punches have to be throw hard in practice to teach the correct kinetic chain. if i told someone to throw a shot put with technique but no force how far do you think it would travel? i am certainly not knocking the importance of technique, just saying technique does not equal power. i have seen people throw better punches when they forget about technique and just throw hard. it's a bit like throwing a rock. there is no magical technique to throwing a rock it is just repetition of motion to increase the coordination required.

Not all pro boxers use correct technique. Foreman threw a lot of wide, looping punches that would make any boxing trainer cringe.

Last edited:
it's a bit like throwing a rock. there is no magical technique to throwing a rock it is just repetition of motion to increase the coordination required.
You could say that repetition of motion to increase the coordination required IS technique. :)

You can have good technique without much power, and a lot of power without good technique.

However, good technique gives you the perfect blend of power, defensive responsibility, and balance. A technically "perfect" punch may not be the most powerful punch that you can throw, but it is usually the most powerful punch you can throw while remaining balanced and capable of defending yourself.

A monster that hits hard with bad technique will usually hit even harder with good technique, and someone who doesn't have much power with perfect technique is not going to magically become a stronger puncher by abandoning that technique - they may be able to hit harder, yes, but they'll also be much easier to hit.

one of my pet hates with a lot of boxing trainers is the myth that technique equals power. i have seen way to many people punching bags with speed and "technique" but no power. the lie being that as soon as you try to throw hard the power will automatically be there if the technique is good. the reality is that a lot of people forget everything they have learnt and go back to throwing haymakers the moment they try to hit hard. you see it all the time in low level amateur boxing. punches have to be throw hard in practice to teach the correct kinetic chain. if i told someone to throw a shot put with technique but no force how far do you think it would travel? i am certainly not knocking the importance of technique, just saying technique does not equal power. i have seen people throw better punches when they forget about technique and just throw hard. it's a bit like throwing a rock. there is no magical technique to throwing a rock it is just repetition of motion to increase the coordination required.

Agreed good advice but learning the technique slowly is important too

Depends on if you still label them hooks or not. He did throw TONS of shitty, looping body punches

ic-auto-repeat-disabled.png

do you mean looping like this? Circular punches?

And no, I wrote wide, looping punches

did they travel in a wide circle ? Is that what you mean by loop?

so you mean not a short concise hook like they teach sometimes, you mean a long armed hook a hook that travels in a circular way but the arm is wide open?

did they travel in a wide circle ? Is that what you mean by loop?

so you mean not a short concise hook like they teach sometimes, you mean a long armed hook a hook that travels in a circular way but the arm is wide open?

Yes, like a drunk throws it in a bar

The wide looping way has more acceleration but less speed so it's a completely meaningless trade off given other downsides such as defence

Yes, like a drunk throws it in a bar

Ok first of all he mostly uses a straight punch for the right a technical shot that all the best use, its not looping its not circular its straight with the elbow flared theres a reason and strategy for why he does this rather than the straight right with elbow in which he can also use (since he was a novice not just later on) but very rarely does

A8tJdp.gif

766417662.gif

Secondly a longer hook is also good technique used by many of the best, theres nothing wrong with the hooks to the body, hes a bit tired and wobbly from Ali and hes slow naturally but the form is fine

ali-comes-back-at-foreman-o.gif

TalkativeEnviousAmbushbug.gif

How can you a red belt in TKD and someone just starting boxing, know better than a world champion, how can you be disgusted with his skill level when you dont even know what punch he uses or how to throw a punch?

That a long hook is a good technique used by many of the very best boxers including mayweather! Why do you think its bar room brawling?

Anyway when will you be humble? You are new, you suck, you are dim, WHY ARE YOU ARROGANT? WHY ARE YOU CRITICAL? WHY DO YOU THINK YOU KNOW BETTER?

Last edited:
You did not post any clip of Foreman or Mayweather throwing wide looping hooks.

When people revert back to their bad habits in their fights, it means the technique was drilled enough, and it wasn't drilled enough in a live environment. Its a reason why it is key that the most simple and rudimentary techniques and tactics get ingrained in the short time the camp lasts for.

There just isn't enough time to cover the myriad volume to techniques in the short amount of 8-12 weeks, even then its really 7-11 weeks because by cut week you're done, there's no improving on there, its just water manipulation week.

Back