Techniques to use and avoid as a lanky fighter

Individualthoughtpatterns

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Hey,
I've been training MT for about 8 months. I want to fight eventually but so far have only sparred. Im 6'4 170 without cutting (probably can make weight at around 150 or so)
I haven't really seen many fighters this lanky to see ehat kinda works and what doesnt. I know Will Chope was about my size but I cant find many of his fights.

I would assume my best weapons would be to develop a good teep and a good jab, and try to get in the clinch when I can? Uppercuts when they try to rush in?

What do you find works and doesnt work either as a lanky fighter, or a sherter guy vs a lanky guy.

Thanks in advance.

Ya Boy Cody Mac is lanky AF and has a sig submission because of it. Id say (like you) jab and teeps. Knees too. Stay long and fight on the outside. If youre gonna be longer then a lot of guys you get in there with this will more than likely be your game plan...to just chill on the outside and stiff arm and teep away.
oTHI4DS.gif

I will definitely echo @Silver tongue samurai...

Offense
  • You need a solid step jab that you can fire at will. This will help you set up combos, find your range, as well as help you keep your opponent at the distance that allows you to do the best work.
  • Work on your speed as you have the height typical of a heavyweight but in a lower weight class. So you get all the speed advantages that come with having less mass paired with a long reach. You can cause heavier guys who are your height a ton of issues because you have the speed of someone smaller while being able to punch them from the outside.
  • Learn how to catch kicks and sweep.
  • USE YOUR HEIGHT TO YOUR ADVANTAGE...DO NOT TRY TO FIGHT A SMALL MAN’S FIGHT, MAKE THEM FIGHT YOUR FIGHT AT YOUR RANGE AND TEMPO.

Defense
  • Use your knees to punish opponents who try to close distance
  • I like to use my teep much like my knees...I use it to repel fighters who try to close the distance, I rarely teep offensively.
  • Become an expert at checking kicks. Your reach advantage is going to cause many people to result to kicking and if you’re not checking they will keep kicking!
  • Learn how to defend yourself when an oppponent catches your kicks! When you have a size advantage it is best to clinch and use the leverage you gain to force your leg back down.
  • A strong jab will save you in the event your opponent uses your kick recovery as an opportunity to close the distance. So let’s say you just completed a kick and now your foot is traveling from the point of impact back to the ground...you can pump out a jab the second you see your opponent step forward. If your opponent respects your jab they will not try to rush inside after a failed kick attempt or recovery. This is also important if you attempt a roundhouse, miss, but don’t spin all the way around.

Hey,
I've been training MT for about 8 months. I want to fight eventually but so far have only sparred. Im 6'4 170 without cutting (probably can make weight at around 150 or so)
I haven't really seen many fighters this lanky to see ehat kinda works and what doesnt. I know Will Chope was about my size but I cant find many of his fights.

I would assume my best weapons would be to develop a good teep and a good jab, and try to get in the clinch when I can? Uppercuts when they try to rush in?

What do you find works and doesnt work either as a lanky fighter, or a sherter guy vs a lanky guy.

Thanks in advance.
Just dropping a few links here, may be useful.

https://www.expertboxing.com/boxing-strategy/boxing-styles/how-to-beat-a-shorter-boxer

https://www.expertboxing.com/boxing-strategy/fight-tips/controlling-range-and-rhythm

http://www.muaythaicitizen.com/muay-thai-for-skinny-guys/

https://www.myboxingcoach.com/how-to-box-at-long-range/

the clinch is your friend. As the taller fighter and all things being even, you're at a significant advantage in the clinch.

Use long knees to get in and tie up. Don't play in the pocket exchanging punches, that's the manlet territory, not yours. I don't recommend building a gameplan on uppercuts and countering. Be proactive, most ammy fights end in decision and they all have a hard-on for aggression and ring control. Even if you light him up while fighting off the ropes, you still have a good chance of losing.

teeps, straights

But its your first fight, so much more important than technique is learning how to fight. Its a fight at the end of the day, don't shut down, always press forward and punish your opponent everytime he hits you. Look at it like him hitting you was an insult and you shoot it back at him.

Don't look for the KO shot, if it comes it'll come. Throw volume combinations, this cannot be be stressed enough, and combos as in including both kicks and combinations, its much more difficult to defend both, esp. at the exp. level you're competing in.
Nothing worse than a guy just throw a 1,2 or counter 1, then nothing. Bud! He stalled from that jab, continue mang.

You'd have to do the absolute core basics day in, day out for it to become instinct, at this stage you're going to operate on instinct and muscle memory, you're not going to be thinking and creating strategy. And if your core instincts isn't reforged with the basics, you'll have nothing to fall on and get confused. Not good.

Basics is:
-combination striking
-return ASAP, never take more than 3 strikes. The longer you wait, the worse the last strike will be. Last one's the nastiest one eg. liver shot, flying knee, etc

-basic clinch work. Escape, pummeling, off balance them.

-press forward

-breathing. Very important, if you don't breathe well, YOU WILL GAS. Even if you have Lebron James level athleticism, you will gas exhaling without inhaling. In between rounds is when you breathe. This is not a relax period, this is a fight itself. Here is where you slow your breathing which in turns slows the heart rate down. Last thing you want to do is to hyperventilate all the time while your opponent is recovering. Come round 2+ you're still gassed and he's good. You can recover around 60-70% back if you slow the heart as much to resting. Your coach says something, just nod, and continue breathing. Don't talk.

The only basic I would add other than this for your build, is to deal with getting your kick caught, the shorter guy will catch your kick. Esp. if they're coming from a MMA gym.

Wow I appreciate all the detailed advice from everyone and everyone gave me similar reasoning behind the strategy. So much to think about here it will keep me busy for a long time and more imporantly a hierarchy on what I should be focusing on.

straight weapons, punches, teeps, knees, etc.

keep him on the outside, you can reach him, he cannot reach you.

the shorter guy will be trying to get inside your guard.

6'4" 150 lbs, thats nuts, you should have crazy reach on these guys.

But its your first fight, so much more important than technique is learning how to fight. Its a fight at the end of the day, don't shut down, always press forward and punish your opponent everytime he hits you. Look at it like him hitting you was an insult and you shoot it back at him.

Don't look for the KO shot, if it comes it'll come. Throw volume combinations, this cannot be be stressed enough, and combos as in including both kicks and combinations, its much more difficult to defend both, esp. at the exp. level you're competing in.
Nothing worse than a guy just throw a 1,2 or counter 1, then nothing. Bud! He stalled from that jab, continue mang.

You'd have to do the absolute core basics day in, day out for it to become instinct, at this stage you're going to operate on instinct and muscle memory, you're not going to be thinking and creating strategy. And if your core instincts isn't reforged with the basics, you'll have nothing to fall on and get confused. Not good.

Basics is:
-combination striking
-return ASAP, never take more than 3 strikes. The longer you wait, the worse the last strike will be. Last one's the nastiest one eg. liver shot, flying knee, etc

-basic clinch work. Escape, pummeling, off balance them.

-press forward

-breathing. Very important, if you don't breathe well, YOU WILL GAS. Even if you have Lebron James level athleticism, you will gas exhaling without inhaling. In between rounds is when you breathe. This is not a relax period, this is a fight itself. Here is where you slow your breathing which in turns slows the heart rate down. Last thing you want to do is to hyperventilate all the time while your opponent is recovering. Come round 2+ you're still gassed and he's good. You can recover around 60-70% back if you slow the heart as much to resting. Your coach says something, just nod, and continue breathing. Don't talk.

The only basic I would add other than this for your build, is to deal with getting your kick caught, the shorter guy will catch your kick. Esp. if they're coming from a MMA gym.

This is all fantastic advice. The hardest thing for most people in their first fight (myself, certainly) was having not been in an actual fight in years and not being mentally ready for the level of aggression. Make sure you're doing a fair amount of hard sparring leading up to the fight just so you become used to taking hard shots. I defended all right in my first fight, but I was so unused to being hit that hard that even taking punches through my gloves was knocking me off balance a little. You have to get in the habit of being hit and keeping your wits about you enough to throw back. Especially in ammy, volume matters so much and the rounds are super short.

This is all fantastic advice. The hardest thing for most people in their first fight (myself, certainly) was having not been in an actual fight in years and not being mentally ready for the level of aggression. Make sure you're doing a fair amount of hard sparring leading up to the fight just so you become used to taking hard shots. I defended all right in my first fight, but I was so unused to being hit that hard that even taking punches through my gloves was knocking me off balance a little. You have to get in the habit of being hit and keeping your wits about you enough to throw back. Especially in ammy, volume matters so much and the rounds are super short.
It was a huge problem when I started out, and I noticed it happened to alot others as well. The funny thing is, when we see martial arts, the first thing that pops up is technique and tactics over aggression, which is good, but the issue is people doing whatever it takes to maintain "clean" technique even if it means losing against an ugly brawler. At the end of the day its a fight, and technique is just a means to an end.

There's also the demographic issue. Its not like most people in today's age that join are street tough guys with varsity backgrounds. They're average people with white collar careers who never grew up with an athletic base. The idea of being competitve has to be taught. myself included when I started out. I know It may sound like overthinking and craziness, but its the situation alot are in.

Watch Dieselnoi fight..........

Came in to post the exact same thing.

OP, YouTube as many of Dieselnoi’s fight as you can find.

Dude was extremely tall for a Thai and very skinny, he had the meanest knees ever. Retired cos he had beaten everyone and literally ran out of opponents.

I’d imagine at the lower levels dudes are gonna spam overhands left and right.

Back