Technological advancement is killing jobs in UK

This is one of the scary parts of the future. The only jobs available will be fixing or programming these automated machines.
Teaching my son programming and mechanics.

So why would you stay human then.

Humans are too fragile for the 21st century anyways. We're freaking out that countries the size of NK are gaining the power to wipe out the human species.

Hey morons, technology increases exponentially. In a few decades, every individual person will have that kind of power.

We stay human, we die. We merge to something more durable and maybe we stand a chance. Like spread your consciousness among machines all over the planet the cloud. That's pretty durable. Any one machine gets wiped out, it's like just losing a brain cell.

So why would you stay human then.

Humans are too fragile for the 21st century anyways. We're freaking out that countries the size of NK are gaining the power to wipe out the human species.

Hey morons, technology increases exponentially. In a few decades, every individual person will have that kind of power.

We stay human, we die. We merge to something more durable and maybe we stand a chance. Like spread your consciousness among machines all over the planet the cloud. That's pretty durable. Any one machine gets wiped out, it's like just losing a brain cell.

I think I've seen that movie, was it Lawnmower Man?

Virtually all real gains in wealth over humanities history have been gains in technological efficiency. "Poverty" in 21st century American means something VERY, VERY different than "Poverty" in 19th century America.

That stated, IBM's "Watson" and it's just-now manifesting applications is creating quite the stir amongst economist because it represent the first replacement in history of "white collar" workers with automation...
The truth is, nobody knows what to expect, because this is a first. There is NO reference point from which to draw conclusions. Consider the perspective from a year and a half ago:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/larrya...rts-replacing-white-collar-jobs/#340f8caf1639

Or from early this year regarding attorneys:
https://www.cnbc.com/2017/02/17/lawyers-could-be-replaced-by-artificial-intelligence.html

You won't find much of anything from my peers on the subject (because the nature of our field makes prediction a traditionally suicidal career practice, ever notice how vague economic predictions tend to be?). They will wait until the effects can be seen and measured to make public statements, but I assure you, privately we speak of what to expect when traditionally highly educated positions are eliminated by automation. It's a big deal because it has the potential to undermine some of the fundamental tenements of Capitalism. Or, better put, it has the potential to change the rules of the game enough to undermine our discipline and the viability of our predictions (such as they are).

It's scary, and probably leading to a really, really horrible transition phase, but has the potential to be a virtual paradise.

P.S. The articles in the OP only address the advancement of online business, which is FAR less concerning than A.I.

Edit: It's worth mentioning a lot of economist try to shoe-horn these developments into traditional models, but they look really weak. Chances are we are facing something completely new, and have no real idea what to expect.

Last edited:
They are taking our jerbz mate.

0806-Took-Jerbs.jpg

giphy.gif

This isn't a recent development. Look at what happened with IT retail about a decade ago and what is happening to department stores currently.
The model has changed. You have to be able to operate a bricks-and-mortar store which is competitive with online pricing while also doing online sales, or you're going to disappear.

Sure but as those jobs dissapear so do the leftwing policies that tongue the ass of migrants.

I realise liberals arent really interested in jerbz because jerb security is for rednecks but we will see how smart they are when its their jerbz vanishing. Suddenly the love for trannies and gay marriage becomes a side issue.

Last edited:
This isn't a recent development. Look at what happened with IT retail about a decade ago and what is happening to department stores currently.
The model has changed. You have to be able to operate a bricks-and-mortar store which is competitive with online pricing while also doing online sales, or you're going to disappear.

Werent you making the argument that these service jobs will keep economies stable. You would have seen that NAB bank plans on cutting 6k jobs ?

No one really invisions their job being automated or re-engineered but its happening.

Werent you making the argument that these service jobs will keep economies stable. You would have seen that NAB bank plans on cutting 6k jobs ?

No one really invisions their job being automated or re-engineered but its happening.

No. I work in ICT. I'm well aware of what's happening.
Service jobs are getting automated and offshored, and the biggest growth sector is healthcare (talking about Oz here, although I believe it's a global trend).

I call bullshit. The U.K. doesn’t have technological advancement.

No. I work in ICT. I'm well aware of what's happening.
Service jobs are getting automated and offshored, and the biggest growth sector is healthcare (talking about Oz here, although I believe it's a global trend).

You dont see issues with this ?

Theres no wealth generation just servicing baby boomers.

I don't know what issues people can have. The bigger issue, imo, is getting people to acknowledge that it's the reality and not some fiction from the distant future. At least if people accept that it's happening, some kind of strategy can be implemented.

You're not going to reverse it or regulate it into oblivion. So, you just have to adapt to it.

While, ironically, a literal brick and mortar store will always be a neighborhood brick-and-mortar store as the by-weight shipping costs would be outrageous.

It's just the way it is. Healthcare jobs won't be safe from automation/offshoring either. With the current rate of techonological (and resulting social) change and a globalised market, the days of a job/career for life are gone. Everyone will need to learn to develop, and continue to develop, relevant skills.

Per Marx, automation and AI will lead to capitalism's downfall.

Don't care. Keep that mass immigration comin. Preferably from Africa and the Middle East.

Back