Teddy Atlas on fighters who lack heart

CPH

street lethal
@Gold
Reaction score
“To me, a fight is not a fight until there’s resistance and until something has to be overcome, otherwise it’s just an athletic venture, an exhibition.

I think life is like that. A lawyer isn’t a lawyer until he has to overcome something in the courtroom. When the judge throws all this crap out and he still handles it.

Tyson’s talent and physical ability was so great, so overwhelming, that he never got tested. Was there anything inside the warehouse? We never knew.

“And then five times — or whatever the record was — there was resistance. Five times there was a real fight and something to overcome. And he failed all five times.”

source:
https://www.news.com.au/sport/boxin...r/news-story/f335f1d85819ba67f41b00f6ede92cc3

Say what you want about Teddy, but what he's laying out here, in general terms, is true. I can think of a couple of very highly rated MMA fighters who can be put in that box.

What do you say Sherdog, is simply winning enough, or is there more to being a champion and a true great?

I'm pretty sure a "fight is a fight" once two guys say "fuck you" to each other and start swinging.

Teddy made that original comment about "a fight is a fight when you have to overcome" about Tyson, who he's OBVIOUSLY salty as fuck over and always tries to discredit him.

Teddy Atlas is a fuckhead.

Of all people to talk about Tyson, it should NOT be him

Even last name could't point me in the right direction.

I'm pretty sure a fight is a fight when two guys say "fuck you" to each other and start swinging.

Teddy made that original comment about "a fight is a fight when you have to overcome" about Tyson, who he's OBVIOUSLY salty as fuck over and always tries to discredit him.

Well Tyson did try to fuck his underage niece.

Last edited:
Sour grapes. Tyson showed heart vs Buster for instance, given the circumstances...
He showed heart vs Lennox too. Atlas is right that the ear bite vs Holyfield was probably looking for a way out though.

source:
https://www.news.com.au/sport/boxin...r/news-story/f335f1d85819ba67f41b00f6ede92cc3

Say what you want about Teddy, but what he's laying out here, in general terms, is true. I can think of a couple of very highly rated MMA fighters who can be put in that box.

What do you say Sherdog, is simply winning enough, or is there more to being a champion and a true great?
Teddy has made it his top priority to hate on Tyson since he got booted by Cus D'Amato he also said Michael Spinks would beat him. As for what he's saying it's a load of shit it's a sport not a fucking fight on the street

Pretty sure Tyson showed some heart against Donovan Ruddock...twice as well.

Teddy coming across as salty and bitter with the Tyson reference.

“I don’t fold under pressure, great athletes perform better under pressure, so put pressure on me.” Floyd Mayweather

It's worth taking Into account all the pressures faced In and outside of the cage. Especially with those at the highest level. Many aren't really taking Into account the depth of what some of these guys have to deal with.

Last edited:
I like Teddy,but he is letting his bias drive him too much on this issue

No, he touched his niece's butt.

Correct. According to Atlas he grabbed her ass and said hed rape her.

When Cus D’Amato became Mike Tyson’s legal guardian after the death of his mother at the age of 16, an incident occurred, Tyson went a little too far and grabbed, then trainer, Teddy Atlas’ 11-year old niece and intimidated her. Tyson allegedly told her that he was going to rape her. This became the breaking point in the relationship between Atlas, Tyson, and D’Amato.

Atlas came home to see his wife, sister-in-law and niece in tears after the incident. After he learned the details of what happened, Atlas got a pistol from a friend and confronted Tyson later that night, putting the gun to his ear and telling him to stay away from his family or die. Check it out.

16 and 11 years old is not acceptable. Dont be that guy.
I'm not saying I wouldn't have pulled a gun on Tyson either. My point is Tyson did that when he was underage and the reason Teddy makes comments like that about Tyson are solely because of their past history and need to be taken with a grain of salt.

So...I know this side of the forum is relatively uneducated in boxing.

But Teddy Atlas is considered a legitimate joke in most boxing circles

Back