Teddy Atlas on Joe Rogan's podcast

SSgt Dickweed

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score

I don't know if this would be awesome or a 3 hour cringefest. Teddy is really knowledgeable about boxing but is also full of shit. I'll check this out later but i don't expect to watch it in full.

So Mike Tyson is really 0-5 if it comes to "real fights". I wonder what Pacquiao and Floyd's record in real fights according to this brofessor.

Atlas realized his worth was as a boxing commentator and not as a trainer. He knows he is full of shit but being full of shit pays his mortgage. He knows he is not a legendary trainer.

Let me guess. He thinks everyone in boxing is corrupt and whatever fights he mentioned had some sort of controversy, right?

Wow, talk about two polar opposites, I dont see how Joe who’s always high as a kite will put up with Atlas’ rants and energy

I know for sure this is going to be an awkward podcast and to be quite honest, as a hardcore boxing fan and a JRE listener I think ill pass on this one

Wow, talk about two polar opposites, I dont see how Joe who’s always high as a kite will put up with Atlas’ rants and energy

I know for sure this is going to be an awkward podcast and to be quite honest, as a hardcore boxing fan and a JRE listener I think ill pass on this one
I watched a solid hour of it.
Joe was respectful the whole time and attentive, but damn does teddy spout some seriously boomer bullshit about boxing. At some parts of the podcast I'm just like shit teddy, do you even like boxing?
It was interesting when they were going over the history of Louis v schmeling though, teddy really loves louis.
Too bad he's no duran.

Anyway not sure I'll watch the rest.

I used to like Teddy. Ive grown tired.

This sounds like the worst podcast ever.

I'm gonna have to check this one out.

Atlas buried Tyson.

Let me guess. He thinks everyone in boxing is corrupt and whatever fights he mentioned had some sort of controversy, right?

You see, that's why boxing needs an international commission. Think of it this way, you're in a storm, and your umbrell-

So far this has its highs and lows. It’s cool hearing teddy talk about Cus and boxing history.

He just laid into Tyson for like fifteen minutes. Seems really biased.

So far this has its highs and lows. It’s cool hearing teddy talk about Cus and boxing history.

He just laid into Tyson for like fifteen minutes. Seems really biased.

Imo its more that the public and media put Tyson on a pedestal that never fitted him. The love of Tyson lets them forget that he was low life criminal who even while training with Cus continued to beat up people and rob them and that choked in many big fights in his career (prison yadayada I know). Its like you are only allowed to be a groupie of Tyson or a hater. I respect his technical skills a lot! He brought some skills to HW that are singular but that doesnt mean there cant be critic.

Atlas is not a sympathetic figure. He is brash, agressive, obnoxious etc but he tells it how he sees it. Thats why he got fired by ESPN and its a very rare character trait nowadays. I respect him for that even as I dont like him as a person.

Imo its more that the public and media put Tyson on a pedestal that never fitted him. The love of Tyson lets them forget that he was low life criminal who even while training with Cus continued to beat up people and rob them and that choked in many big fights in his career (prison yadayada I know). Its like you are only allowed to be a groupie of Tyson or a hater. I respect his technical skills a lot! He brought some skills to HW that are singular but that doesnt mean there cant be critic.

Atlas is not a sympathetic figure. He is brash, agressive, obnoxious etc but he tells it how he sees it. Thats why he got fired by ESPN and its a very rare character trait nowadays. I respect him for that even as I dont like him as a person.
He does belittle Tyson at every opportunity and he comes off as salty and petty. That said - I do enjoy his boxing commentary.

I used to like Teddy. Ive grown tired.

This sounds like the worst podcast ever.

Same, I used to enjoy his commentary and his rambling metaphors. I read his book too and enjoyed it. He was a decent trainer as well, a cheerleader kind of guy who motivates his fighters and can understand their psychology well, even if not necessarily the best tactician. But then over the last 10 years or so he's just gone off the deep-end and become paranoid and bitter and more obviously biased than before.

I know I'm probably alone on this. But I fucking love teddy and he enshrines good old murican enthusiasm to me.

So Mike Tyson is really 0-5 if it comes to "real fights". I wonder what Pacquiao and Floyd's record in real fights according to this brofessor.
seeing how Floyd has a 0 at the end of his record, i'd guess pretty good

Bugs on da winsheel! Teddyism!
Listen to his thing on Tyson. You can tell its real emotional for him but its worth listening too. I dont think Joe talked for about 10mins as Teddy was talking

He does belittle Tyson at every opportunity and he comes off as salty and petty. That said - I do enjoy his boxing commentary.

Yep like I said Atlas is not a sympathetic figure. Public perception is pretty on point with him contrary to how distorted it is with Tyson.

But Atlas main critique is only "salty" and "petty" if you expect him to ass kiss Tyson like most fans and media. Atlas doesnt think Tyson is an ATG and honestly I also dont think he is based on his record and how he lost. If you take out all the emotion (of which Atlas also is not capable of) Atlas has very solid reasoning and also talks great of Mike in many aspects of the fight game were Mike was great.

This quote sums up the main point: "He was as good as his opponent was tough" Atlas.

You can see this exemplified in Tysons toughest fights. A classic frontrunner. This is the reason why he was so adamant against a fight vs. Foreman. I could go into detail but well there are enough articles about it. F.e. http://www.realclearlife.com/sports/mike-tyson-trainer-teddy-atlas/

Regarding Atlas always having the need to talk about it, that really gives me the impression of a gruntled old man bored with his home life. Definitely a little over the top. I guess I find it refreshing in contrast to all the shallow oportunists.

Back