Teen suspended from high school after her anti-bullying video hurts principal's feelings

JosephDredd

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
http://leaderpost.com/news/world/16...iral/wcm/b4afd67f-d5a5-4d6e-94b8-48cb175c4232

A Tennessee high school student’s anti-bullying video has resulted in nearly 600,000 views on YouTube and a suspension for its creator.

Lebanon High School student Emily Gipson said school administrators accused her of “trying to incite violence” and gave her a two-day in-school suspension for the video entitled “Welcome to Lebanon High School,” posted Jan. 22.

In the video, prompted by a classmate’s October suicide, she asks students to treat each other better. It’s a broad indictment of campus culture, but contains neither profanity nor calls for direct action.

“Welcome to Lebanon High School, where smiles are fake and suicide prevention is something to laugh at,” she said in the video, criticizing her peers’ reaction to the Stop It app the Wilson County school had put out in response to the death.

Her ire was not restricted to students, however. Perhaps the harshest words in Gipson’s free-verse speech were reserved for school administration.

“Posters say ‘Smile’ and ‘Be happy,’ but how am I supposed to be happy in a world — no, in a community — where creativity is put down, where the people who make fun of others never get punished because ‘There’s no proof,’ or ‘There’s nothing we can do about it,’ or, my favourite, ‘Kids will be kids,”‘ she says in the video.

“So let’s summarize: We’re expected to come to this emotional prison every day, and we’re expected to forgive the bullies because the authorities are sure they didn’t mean it. Sometimes I wonder how many kids it takes dying to make a difference.”

Principal Scott Walters told The Lebanon Democrat he can’t discuss the 16-year-old’s punishment, but said he took issue with the fact that the free-verse speech was recorded in a classroom without a teacher’s permission. Gipson disputed that, saying she had two coaches’ permission.

Walters also said the video hurt his feelings, and those of teachers, too.

More info at the link, but I got most of the juicy stuff here. On one hand schools have never been good at protecting students from students; on the other hand, it's now harder than ever for teachers to handle these situations. Bullying has changed and teachers are stretched thin.

I cant wait for all this ultra pc stuff to reach it's final form. I assume it will be tons of people, all triggered, vibrating. Eventually they'll vibrate into one mass, and disappear into some sort of not so super position.

We are one step closer to reaching PC singularity.

tenor.gif

The 2 day in school suspension is triggering me. (we need a triggered smiley) I mean, the kid expressed her dismay for how the staff handles bullying, and in response they gave her a two day prison sentence? Hyperbole aside, this is a goofy story. From that angle at least.

They were right btw, this speech did incite violence, because now I kind of want to punch that principal in his stupid, power tripping face.

on the one hand i would raise hell if my daughter were punished by the school for that. free speech and all. on the other hand i would probably off myself if that were my kid from the sound of her

I view deaths from bullying as parental failure, in the majority of cases.

Well-adjusted kids tend to not get bullied, but if they do they have healthy coping responses indicative of a secure attachment, trusting mental representations of others, a positive self-view, a well-developed sense of autonomy, etc. They don't accept or internalize the negative message of the bullies, they aren't submissive, they seek (and expect) help, they don't believe they're worthy of negative treatment, etc. It doesn't come out of thin air, it's the quality of parenting.

I view deaths from bullying as parental failure, in the majority of cases.

Well-adjusted kids tend to not get bullied, but if they do they have healthy coping responses indicative of a secure attachment, trusting mental representations of others, a positive self-view, a well-developed sense of autonomy, etc. They don't accept or internalize the negative message of the bullies, they aren't submissive, they seek (and expect) help, they don't believe they're worthy of negative treatment, etc. It doesn't come out of thin air, it's the quality of parenting.

Ha!

You need to read more.

What did the Batman shooters parents do wrong?

Oh, he was just crazy, right?

Funny, seems like crazy, is always the explanation for why people do crazy things.

We are one step closer to reaching PC singularity.

tenor.gif

I'm a few hundreds pages into a new research study I'm doing on the correlation between being into anime-style video games/graphics and being an insecure and sexless anti-PC nerd.

The findings are explosive.

I was a pretty troubled little cunt in school. I'll never forget when a VP told me he was tired of "broken home kids making his life harder"

It completely destroyed my entire trust in authority.

Bullying sucked, I moved from being the token white boy at an all black magnet school to a redneck methhead Okie town where I was told by family friends to never date black girls. Hell, my grandparents bought a private golf course in the late 90s and it was a source of pride that they refused black patrons.

It's weird to see people blaming fucking children here. The most confusing period of your life, the most emotional, and to be met with disdain by people paid to take care of you?

Fuck that.

I'm a few hundreds pages into a new research study I'm doing on the correlation between being into anime-style video games/graphics and being an insecure and sexless anti-PC nerd.

Just out of curiosity, what do you define as anime style?

Ha!

You need to read more.

What did the Batman shooters parents do wrong?

Oh, he was just crazy, right?

Funny, seems like crazy, is always the explanation for why people do crazy things.

Seems like he was given his own apartment and full financial support

Sorry your parents didn't get you Final Fantasy 7 around an age that would dictate your asshole nature for the next twenty years.

It's okay. I watched Boy Meets World a couple times.

And, as you know, Mr. Feeny can get it.

Sounds like her anti-bullying video was bullying school admins.

Who is our victim? For whom should my heart bleed bleed bleed?

Is that a Muslim joke, bigot?

Back